Qik and EVO - EVO video chat performance

If you've tried Qik's video chat feature between two EVO's, how did it perform?

• Total voters

fgkay

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Haven?t see a lot of discussion about experiences people have had with Qik video chat performance when used between 2 EVO?s. For the folks who have tried Qik?s EVO to EVO video chat, please chime-in with your vote.

f1nzup

May 29, 2010
Visit site
When Qik wasn't working when the EVO first came out, I believe most started using fring, which works really well, so not sure there are that many using Qik.

xxankitxx

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
it's decent enough for "new" technology. Quality is horrible on 3G - but 4g/WiFi is pretty decent. Also the quality of the video could be better, but like I said - good enough for "new" technology....awaiting implementation with Gtalk...that would be sweet...

kcpowercat

May 17, 2010
Visit site
It's alright. Just tried and we couldn't get audio buy yesterday it worked fine. The difficulty seems to ne getting connected. I'll get a text saying somebody wants to connect rather than qik just picking up and when you hit the link in the text it doesn't launch qik it just takes you to their web which says web chat doesn't work.

fgkay

May 17, 2010
Visit site
that text is because you supposedly didn't pick up when they called you....kinda like a missed call reminder.

Even with a great signal and with both EVO's in the same room, we often can't get connected. The called party's Qik client never wakes up and they receive the text notification AFTER the calling party's Qik client has timed out. Tested this many,many times over 3g, 4g and WiFi with the same results.

kcpowercat

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I had qik answer a call one time. Every other I just get the text and I have my phone active when the call supposedly is coming in.

reinangel

May 7, 2010
Visit site
im having an issue with qik today too. my other party cant connect. but overall it was working great when i used it the other night. i have issues with fring and uninstalled it. also, i cant figure it out :p/

Lockeskidney

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
fring works fine for me
havent tried qik
tumblr_l4j17wZEwx1qzu186o1_r1_500.png

fgkay

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I got through to Sprint's 'advanced' level tech support today. I find it hard to believe what the guy told me, but he said the workaround for folks who can't get Qik to work is to use Fring!! He also told me that Sprint is recommending that video chat be used only either over 4G or WiFi -- no 3G.

Why did they even embed this crap in the firmware in the first place, and market 2-way video like it's a useable feature? It's been more like an experiment or beta test since day-1.

trojanman

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I've used Qik with a buddy of mine who has the EVO. We were both on 3G and it worked well...not great but the quality was decent enough. The only thing that kinda bugged us was that the person who receives the call can only talk when he pushes the talk button. The person that makes the call doesn't have to. Not a big issue. Have yet to try Fring.

deaofly

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Ok this is a NOTE TO ALL U GUYS. If qik is not running in the background u WONT get anything but a text. U have to have the qik app started, but not using it. If u don't see it under your Running Apps under settings/applications then its not started and u will only get a text message.

sYnOnYx

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Definitely not on the level of FaceTime.. thats for sure.

I will disagree with this, with a good connection 4G or Wifi, I have GREAT results. But, both parties have to have a good connection. On 4G and my father on Wifi on his PC we had a good 10min Skype over Fring and it worked very well.

Qik was a little laggy on the video, but sound was on point and clear.

Genisis

May 27, 2010
Visit site
i have had no problems with Qik on a 3g connection...i stopped using fring because of the echo or feedback in the background when we tried talking. Qik's push to talk feature was annoying at first...especially when i didnt kno it was even there but after using it a few times its actually a good feature. So you dont over talk who ur talking to and so the conversation comes out crisp and clear. That and i uploaded a video to my facebook account from the front facing camera and it came out better then i expected.