What is the big deal about the Droid-X?

geauxlsutigers

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
First of all let me say I am an EVO owner and I am very happy with it. I am just wondering why so may people are raving about the Droid-X, a phone that hasnt even been released. From what I have read, the specs are very similar to the EVO, so Im sure it will be a great phone like the EVO. What's up with these posts about the benchmark tests that say the Droid-X is much better / faster than EVO? I also read that the Droid-X's 1ghz processor is much faster that the EVO's 1ghz snapdragon? Where are these tests? I just cant believe a phone that hasnt been released has gotten so much hype and some people are even saying its better than EVO when the specs seem very similar to me. Where is the proof?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
First of all let me say I am an EVO owner and I am very happy with it. I am just wondering why so may people are raving about the Droid-X, a phone that hasnt even been released. From what I have read, the specs are very similar to the EVO, so Im sure it will be a great phone like the EVO. What's up with these posts about the benchmark tests that say the Droid-X is much better / faster than EVO? I also read that the Droid-X's 1ghz processor is much faster that the EVO's 1ghz snapdragon? Where are these tests? I just cant believe a phone that hasnt been released has gotten so much hype and some people are even saying its better than EVO when the specs seem very similar to me. Where is the proof?

The benchmark is on the home page. It has a faster GPU which will make it more capable when it comes to 3D games. Some people have also commented that the screen is higher quality. I haven't personally seen it so I don't know. It does have a slightly higher resolution than the EVO, though.

The Droid X does NOT have a front facing camera, so it won't do video chat. It does have 3 microphones for noise cancellation and better sound pickup when taking video.

Bottom line is both phones are awesome and if you're on Sprint or Verizon you will have an awesome phone.

donald.aleshire

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
I think motorola did some things that htc themselves did not want to put in the evo to make it faster and perform better. I think the droid x looks awesome and will be great for any verizon customer. You think about it, a verizon person can choose the incredible or the droid x. Two different sizes and both kick ass phones.

Also he droid x adds some nice hardware features over the evo i like. The two extra micas for better noise pick up and cancellation. It also looks to have a little better camera on it.

I don't like the hardware buttons though and no kick stand lol. Just my two cents

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
What confuses me is why the HTC Incredible has 8 GB of onboard storage and the Evo doesn't. Now seeing how the Droid X also has 8 GB of onboard storage leads me to believe that this must be something Verizon is requesting? Not quite sure why HTC skimped on the Evo and we're stuck with 1 GB?

And yeah, the OMAP processor with it's PowerVR GPU is what all the hoopla is about. Also, HTC stated that the reason why the Evo is capped at 30 fps is because of the HDMI port. Well, the Droid X does have an HDMI port as well, and it has no 30 fps cap. So, considering the release of these two phones is only 6 weeks apart, people feel like they are getting the shaft from HTC because the Droid does have better specs in the graphics department. Not sure though why Motorola is going with this odd ball resolution of 854 x 480 rather than the more standard 800 x 480. All that will do is give Droid X owners some black bars when playing games.

RayStinkle

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Yeah the omap CPU is the big deal. I've always said I won't get rid of my nexus until the omap CPU starts coming out. And with its dedicated graphics, its gonna be a beast:) it will definitely pounce our nexus and evo no question.

TreyDaPrince

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
Incredible owners were saying the same thing about the Evo when it was coming. Nexus One owners were saying the same thing about the Incredible...and so on and so on

Its just the cycle of smartphone life. Especially a site that's dedicated to a specific brand and not a carrier or model.

Fret not, Droid X owners will be saying the same thing when its the Droid 2's turn. It will never end.

rem_kujawa

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I personally do not care about the cap. If I want to play games I grab one of my psp's or use my xbox 360. But I think if the phone is capable of why not use it.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Incredible owners were saying the same thing about the Evo when it was coming. Nexus One owners were saying the same thing about the Incredible...and so on and so on

Its just the cycle of smartphone life. Especially a site that's dedicated to a specific brand and not a carrier or model.

Fret not, Droid X owners will be saying the same thing when its the Droid 2's turn. It will never end.

Very true....it just hurts when the "next best thing" comes out only 3 weeks after you get your shiny new phone. 3 months later is one thing... 3 weeks.....

ovE

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Whats the big deal about the Evo?

Thats what they are saying on the verizon side. Think of the Droid X as Verizon's Evo.

Personally i dont care for motorola phones and I dont like the nasty tumor on the back of the phone, so the Evo is my choice. It does have some cool specs though

xorg

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
X looks pretty similar to EVO, each having a few unique advantages. One major advantage of EVO that matters to me is up to 7Mbps and simultaneous voice/data in 4G markets. X doesn't have a 4G radio so won't be doable when VZW 4G launches next year.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Very true....it just hurts when the "next best thing" comes out only 3 weeks after you get your shiny new phone. 3 months later is one thing... 3 weeks.....

If it bothers you that much, take the Evo back and switch to Verizon. God, I'm tired of people whining. The Evo does everything today it did three weeks ago, and it will do more when it gets updated to 2.2, and even more apps become available. If it met your needs three weeks ago, it ought to still meet them today.

reagan247

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
If it bothers you that much, take the Evo back and switch to Verizon. God, I'm tired of people whining. The Evo does everything today it did three weeks ago, and it will do more when it gets updated to 2.2, and even more apps become available. If it met your needs three weeks ago, it ought to still meet them today.

AMEN! I'm going to petition the moderators to begin deleting 'buyers remorse' threads, or to just create a whole new forum for them. This forum should be dedicated to specific questions for help, tips & tricks for the phone, and general observations about the phone. I'm tired of carrier posts, complaining, and just general nonsense posts... it makes reading AC forums tedious and frustrating.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I like my EVO. I know that there will be better phones coming out this year, but I'm not going to worry about it. I am eligible for an upgrade every year. I think that I can wait a year and be content with the my EVO until its time to get the latest and greatest.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

Whining? I was just trying to clarify the point why people are so upset about this. Motorola got the better GPU, that's about all there is to it. I am not whining, just putting into perspective exactly what it is what people are whining about, and in the end, it is the better performance of the Droid in 3d graphics. Since the Droid X does manage to double the performance of the Evo in that particular test, that "whining" may just be justified seeing how the phones were released within 6 weeks of each other (taking in consideration the actual release date of the X as being July 15th). That's why people complain...especially the gamers among us.

And you have to admit, it does kinda hurt seeing your brand new flagship phone getting bested by that much in this rather important performance aspect, after all, 3d gaming is finally starting to take off on Android.

So don't call me a whiner.

Phone#IM

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I honestly am getting sick of people saying the Evo isnt this or cant beat that. You are better off returning your phone now, because no matter what your phone is it will be outdated in a very short time after its release.

Bottom line is something new and better is always coming out so there is no point in always making a comparison but rather you should be content with what you have. Right now the Evo 4g is the best Android phone out until the Droid X comes out.

Now does the Evo have its faults?? Of course it does (FPS cap, hardware issues,etc) but no phone is perfect. Sure the Droid X may beat the Evo 4g in some areas but that doesnt mean the Evo is crap. The Evo still beats the X in some areas as well (Front facing camera, cheaper sprint plans,1 year upgrades, 4G).

Heck the Droid X will probably be on top for maybe a short while before another phone tops it,(Galaxy S maybe?) but does that mean you are gonna drop the X when it gets outdated?? There is no way to keep up with the latest and greatest unless you have money to throw away at ETF's every few months.

The great thing about all these superphones releasing now is that they are in some ways future proof. Even though they may be getting beat by other phones 4-5 months from now they still will be able to compete due to such high specs and will have the ability to receive more Android updates in the future.

Funny I see people comparing Droid X to Evo regarding benchmark tests for 3d graphics when the Samsung Galaxy S is supposed to have a better graphics processing chip than every android phone out and a better screen due to Super AMOLED. I wonder if people are gonna start complaining about the Droid X (like they are currently doing the Evo)saying they are taking it back for a Samsung.

People always want the best and they should get it. But at what point do you become content with what you have ??

Jappy5

May 17, 2010
Visit site
why do people care so much about 3d gaming on a phone.. if you want to play a 3d game go get a ps3.. which actually plays games in 3d

ap3604

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Why do people care so much about 3d gaming on a phone?

Personally, I will always stick to my emulator classics. Zelda, Mega Man, Final Fantasy, Metroid, etc are all I need to keep happy (especially since I can use a wiimote with my Nexus One for a physical controller!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC