Real world usage... in NYC (trains/battery usage/GPS)

AldousSnow

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
My God.. i feel sorry for those who live in NYC full time.

Jump in the car with a full battery, had to use GPS to drive from Astoria Queens to Bleecker St. 40 minute ride..... (and you already know how the battery cringes when using GPS).

Went into a museum today.... spotty 3G coverage (double arrows struggling off and on).

Took a train from Brooklyn to Harlem.... (really.... has no one figured out how to get reception in train subways yet).

Get back to car.... to use GPS to get back to Astoria.... ... battery dead.

My girl turns to me and says......

Why didn't you just print out the driving directions from Mapquest.... LOL.

Just a mini rant ... daily gps/battery drain story.

.... and yes... i did have a back up battery... but if i killed the first battery (with real world use.. Navigation, check espn.com for world cup score, send email and take pictures of various NYC sites) in 5 hours.... well just do the math.

And i still love the phone.

kinster02

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
You should have downloaded the NYC subway maps from the app catalog then you wouldn't need the power sucking gps. There will be a fix for battery life in the next update due 28 June that should alleviate that problem. As it stands there is an htc instruction out stating that the battery is not fully charging and how to properly charge it. I currently get 60hrs + on standy, 24hrs mixed use and 12 to 16 hrs with heavier use. I don't use active wallpapers, haptic feedback, tones,and light set to 50% ,1min with a advance task killer set to kill when screen goes off, it won't kill things your using even if the screen goes off. I got 12hrs out of the box but anyway the fix should be on Mon 28 June.

EVOLICIOUS

May 23, 2010
Visit site
i had a blackberry before the evo and if i used gps on that it would kill the battery that issue is with all phones not the just the evo always use charger with navi

HondaCop

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site

Jump in the car with a full battery, had to use GPS to drive from Astoria Queens to Bleecker St. 40 minute ride..... (and you already know how the battery cringes when using GPS).

Went into a museum today.... spotty 3G coverage (double arrows struggling off and on).

Took a train from Brooklyn to Harlem.... (really.... has no one figured out how to get reception in train subways yet).

.... and yes... i did have a back up battery... but if i killed the first battery (with real world use.. Navigation, check espn.com for world cup score, send email and take pictures of various NYC sites) in 5 hours.... well just do the math.

1. Download the Subway Maps
2. Put your phone in airplane mode while riding the subway.
3. Get yourself a cheap car charger so you can keep your phone powered up while using it for GPS navigation.

With these 3 tips, you will be straight and have no complaints on battery life. =)

daving313

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
Yea...I wouldn't expect great battery life when using GPS navigation. My TomTom, a dedicated GPS device (with no fancy bluetooth/traffic stuff) barely lasts over an hour on its internal battery. I would always use a car charger when doing navigation for that long.

EnViiDisnuCCa

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site

i live in NYC full time and i have no battery problem yea i might carry the charger wit me to work and charge when i have the spare time n stuff but other than that i have no problems wut so ever

AldousSnow

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Maybe im a bit slow... but how does a subway map help me drive from Queens to lower manhattan?

I was been driven... not my car. And did not want to carry car charger with me to walk around NYC with all day.

I can get 60 hours of standby.... im speaking of real life usage... Navigating, communicating, photo taking.

I had the blackberry for 9 years. Gps for one hour did not take 40% of my battery life.

AND...... I still love this phone.

I just accept the fact that its hampered by battery life limitations... (i don't try and kid myself any more about that).