Hotspot vs cable tethering vs price

Booshanky

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Before anyone mentions, yes, I've searched around and haven't found much good info on this.

I've got the 30 dollar a month wifi hotspot thing, but I'm really finding that I don't use it enough to justify the cost. Additionally, since the battery life is so bad on the EVO, it doesn't really make sense to use it as a hotspot.

I downloaded an app called easytether and that works great, plus it keeps the phone plugged into my laptop, charging it.

My question is, if I cancel the 30 dollar charge for the mobile hotspot feature, can I still use easytether?

Braaainz

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
According to the contract you signed with Sprint for service, no.

Your Terms of Service (TOS) state that without adding an additional plan, like the wifi hotspot, you will not connect your mobile phone to other devices to share data.

So, if you tether your phone, you are breaking your contract.

Can you still do it? Yes. However, breaking a contract and then continuing to use those contracted services is (IMHO) rather unethical.

Before the Evo, I paid for Sprint's unlimited phone as modem feature. I know a lot of people told me to cancel that and then just do it on the sly. When some of those people got their service suspended, cancelled, data capped/throttled back, or were told that they'd be charged for future data... they were mightily pissed, but they only had themselves to blame. So, if you do it, you do it at your own risk.

Booshanky

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
According to the contract you signed with Sprint for service, no.

Your Terms of Service (TOS) state that without adding an additional plan, like the wifi hotspot, you will not connect your mobile phone to other devices to share data.

So, if you tether your phone, you are breaking your contract.

Can you still do it? Yes. However, breaking a contract and then continuing to use those contracted services is (IMHO) rather unethical.

Before the Evo, I paid for Sprint's unlimited phone as modem feature. I know a lot of people told me to cancel that and then just do it on the sly. When some of those people got their service suspended, cancelled, data capped/throttled back, or were told that they'd be charged for future data... they were mightily pissed, but they only had themselves to blame. So, if you do it, you do it at your own risk.

I just use it so infrequently that I don't think it's worth the price. If it was 5 bucks, I'd stick with it. But 95% of the time I use it when there's just no wifi around, which is rare.

That being said, would it even be possible for sprint to find out that I'm using the phone this way? I would assume they would have to check for red flags like high bandwidth usage, but I'm not downloading movies or anything, actually I'm usually just writing e-mails since it's easier with a real keyboard.

bubbatex

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
I just use it so infrequently that I don't think it's worth the price. If it was 5 bucks, I'd stick with it. But 95% of the time I use it when there's just no wifi around, which is rare.

That being said, would it even be possible for sprint to find out that I'm using the phone this way? I would assume they would have to check for red flags like high bandwidth usage, but I'm not downloading movies or anything, actually I'm usually just writing e-mails since it's easier with a real keyboard.

You would have to tether for a long time before Sprint will notice. You are fine for limited use. Really, if you are not going over 5gbs/mo, no red flags are going to go up. I see no big deal in using these free tethering apps occasionally (non-hotspot).

anthonylokrn

May 24, 2010
Visit site
If you are somewhat tech savvy, then read up on rooting the phone. Rooted phone will allow you to use WiFi tethering apps without having to pay the $30 hotspot free, and it works for both 3G/4G.

Froyo/2.2 is suppose to have hotspot built into the rom thus bypassing the sprint app, but speculations are that sprint will probably disable that function in froyo.

Braaainz

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site

I can't say whether Sprint would know or not. I can say that in previous years, people were caught and had their data rate throttled back, data caps placed, received warning letters, were charged for data over their capped amounts, etc. Now, it seemed to me, that there were a lot of people tethering, but it was really only the ones who were downloading bit torrents, streaming music and videos constantly, etc... that ended up getting caught (i.e. >5gb a month)

i.e. it appeared from what I saw online that if you kept your tethering to checking emails or reading newsfeeds... you wouldn't have a problem.

I think it's more an issue of whether you want to be the type of person who breaks their word over $30... but that's just me.

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
I can't say whether Sprint would know or not. I can say that in previous years, people were caught and had their data rate throttled back, data caps placed, received warning letters, were charged for data over their capped amounts, etc. Now, it seemed to me, that there were a lot of people tethering, but it was really only the ones who were downloading bit torrents, streaming music and videos constantly, etc... that ended up getting caught (i.e. >5gb a month)

i.e. it appeared from what I saw online that if you kept your tethering to checking emails or reading newsfeeds... you wouldn't have a problem.

I think it's more an issue of whether you want to be the type of person who breaks their word over $30... but that's just me.

It's an included feature of the phone. Plugging it in via USB and tethering is what is included. I don't see the ethical dilemma.

eagle63

May 7, 2010
Visit site
This is one of those few cases in which I don't have any moral dilemma with breaking the terms of service. I pay for unlimited data, it shouldn't matter how I use the data. There's no reasonable explanation Sprint (or any other carrier) can give that justifies the additional $30 tethering charge, other than "because we can."

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
This is one of those few cases in which I don't have any moral dilemma with breaking the terms of service. I pay for unlimited data, it shouldn't matter how I use the data. There's no reasonable explanation Sprint (or any other carrier) can give that justifies the additional $30 tethering charge, other than "because we can."

That's not true, it's a service, not a tangible item. They can control it however they want.

Booshanky

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site

Oh please, I'm not going to feel bad for a multi-billion dollar corporation. I think they can hang.

Booshanky

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
It's an included feature of the phone. Plugging it in via USB and tethering is what is included. I don't see the ethical dilemma.

The ethical dilemma is that you should feel bad for violating a completely arbitrary rule imposed by a humongous corporation. A rule violation that will in no way harm that company.

figgie

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
The ethical dilemma is that you should feel bad for violating a completely arbitrary rule imposed by a humongous corporation. A rule violation that will in no way harm that company.

So it is ok to pick and choose who's rules you choose to follow? Why not forgo paying taxes? After all the US goverment is the biggest corporation out there? A rule voilation will in no way harm the US goverment with all the money they make right? ;)

Absolutely insipid idea.

Booshanky

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
So it is ok to pick and choose who's rules you choose to follow? Why not forgo paying taxes? After all the US goverment is the biggest corporation out there? A rule voilation will in no way harm the US goverment with all the money they make right? ;)

Absolutely insipid idea.

The insipid idea is that you're extrapolating not paying any taxes with using 1 or 2 gigs a month to check e-mail, which I pay for, which I can do without breaking any rules, on my phone.

All you missed was some hitler reference and the slide down your slippery slope would be complete.

solo1

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Maybe it isnt the fact that they merely can , so they do ... Maybe they just put that "premium" charge to keep the traffic down ... 1/3 of the customers may use the "paid" tethering ... 1/3 may opted out ... 1/3 may use the "free" tethering ... If Sprint just said you can have a free for all it would build up HEAVY traffic because people will use it just cuz ... I feel its a filter of sorts because they cant really monitor it or totally stop it from happening if you tether by means other than the "premium" ... They're are alot of "do-gooders" out there that would not think of crossing that line ... and those are the ones that are being weeded out ... Just my opinion.

figgie

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
The insipid idea is that you're extrapolating not paying any taxes with using 1 or 2 gigs a month to check e-mail, which I pay for, which I can do without breaking any rules, on my phone.

All you missed was some hitler reference and the slide down your slippery slope would be complete.

Don't be silly.

A company whether the US goverment, Sprint or that Mom and Pop pizzeria around your corner, is just that. A company/business. The service they provide, according to your Einstien level thinking, is irrelvant. Just the size of said company. ;)

See how utterly dumb it is to generalize.