Turn off, Remove or Prevent bloat apps?

mp0510

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
When I reboot the phone, the MP3 store, Sprint zone, Nascar, NFL, and other apps are up and running. If I shut them down, it frees up memory, which is always a bonus for performance on any computer.

Is there a way to prevent them from starting up? Of the Sprint-installed apps, do any NEED to be running for any other app to function properly? I am assuming any App I start pulls up any needed processes, but don't know for sure.

Suggestions? It seems there's no way to remove them without rooting, so I would be completely happy simply not having them run and use up free RAM.

Holsum

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
When I reboot the phone, the MP3 store, Sprint zone, Nascar, NFL, and other apps are up and running. If I shut them down, it frees up memory, which is always a bonus for performance on any computer.

wrong, not in linux having all this running is fine. linux frees up space and shuts down apps where appropriate.

Is there a way to prevent them from starting up? Of the Sprint-installed apps, do any NEED to be running for any other app to function properly? I am assuming any App I start pulls up any needed processes, but don't know for sure.

like i said previously, no need to shut them down. Linux will shut them down on a resources basis. If space is needed and an app is taking it up that has been idle for a long time android will close the app on its own.

Suggestions? It seems there's no way to remove them without rooting, so I would be completely happy simply not having them run and use up free RAM.

Android does not need free RAM like windows. the most you need is around 47-50mb's free. Which is this when linux starts closing apps to free up the space. If you dont believe me test it out.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site

You've opened up a can of worms. The Android system handles the memory fine in most cases so you don't need to pick and choose what to close, especially with this phone. Anything preloaded on the phone should not cause you any issues and you should let the operating system handle it.

From a technical aspect, it's not the same as your desktop computer where when you get low on physical memory, it writes data to the hard disk drive with is painfully slow relatively. The phone has only physical memory, so it simply zaps those background apps which is instantaneous.

In other words, it's not like buying a Dell computer that comes preloaded with a bunch of junk that just bogs down the system. Yes, there is stuff running, but when you need the extra resources, they will be there for you and not being burned away in the background.

On caveat is that there are poorly written third-party apps that can cause issues. But the preloaded ones should be fine. Just use it for a while and you will see it's fine.

Holsum

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
You've opened up a can of worms. The Android system handles the memory fine in most cases so you don't need to pick and choose what to close, especially with this phone. Anything preloaded on the phone should not cause you any issues and you should let the operating system handle it.

From a technical aspect, it's not the same as your desktop computer where when you get low on physical memory, it writes data to the hard disk drive with is painfully slow relatively. The phone has only physical memory, so it simply zaps those background apps which is instantaneous.

In other words, it's not like buying a Dell computer that comes preloaded with a bunch of junk that just bogs down the system. Yes, there is stuff running, but when you need the extra resources, they will be there for you and not being burned away in the background.

On caveat is that there are poorly written third-party apps that can cause issues. But the preloaded ones should be fine. Just use it for a while and you will see it's fine.

very well said, we just wrote the exact same thing :)

chaosrecords

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
684_467.jpg

My epic contribution!

I agree with the 1st two.

You can run a task killer if you want and highlight only the apps you will NEVER use, but there really isnt a need unless it bothers you to an extreme

mp0510

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for everyone's help. Yes, I am a PC.

The closest I've ever come to Linux was installing a version around 2002 or so (Redhat I think??), looking at it for a week, deciding I didn't like it and uninstalling it.

I just saw several threads where people were talking about trying to keep at least 100 MB free using task killers, so I thought the preloads I never use would be the easiest way to do that.

So any advice from the experienced Android users and Linux users is welcome. I'll just relax and let things run normal and see how it goes.

Thanks again!