Weird EVO 4G behavior after update

mohan37

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys,

I successfully applied the new update yesterday (6/30/10) and was immediately impressed with resolution of the "grounding" issue and improved battery life. Also, my Evo used to take FOREVER to shut down if I tried to do a restart. Like, 20 minutes; I could tell from the charging light, which would stay on even if I pulled the charger out, until the phone had really shut off. This was a consistent behavior I duplicated many times. The update fixed that too!

Since then, however, I've noticed some weird stuff, starting this morning. Now, if I restart my phone, it takes a long time for the phone to reconnect to the sprint network. no 3G, no making calls. Some of the widgets are screwy, the camera won't turn on, and the SD card is inaccessible. If I wait about 10 minutes, the 3G icon eventually comes back, and I know all is well. The phone works fine after that.

A little while ago, though, I was trying out different backgrounds, and the background picture got stuck. I'd change to another picture, but then when I returned to the home screen, the background would still be the same. I eventually restarted the phone, which fixed it, but then had to wait 10 minutes, as described above, for the phone to go back to normal.

Anyone else seeing this behavior? Or any other weird behavior? I know there's been some other stuff, but I can't put my finger on it. I'll start writing it down, and maybe post here.

By the way, my phone hasn't been rooted or anything, and I never did a factory reset. It's straight out of the box. I really hope these weird issues will be adressed when the update is reinstated.

Mo

Last edited:

sed51329

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
A factory reset should help that problem. I did one right before applying the new update and my evo had never been better.

RamminIt

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Don't turn it off, just remove the battery while it is still on. With the battery out hold down the power button for about 5 seconds. Replace the battery and turn the phone on. This should take care of most of your issues, it did for me.

JERAVICIOUS

May 16, 2010
Visit site
After the update, I thought my phone bricked because my EVO was stuck at the 4G screen for a long time. Now that the phone is up and running after the start up, many of my widgets are not there. Instead there is a grey box with a message saying, "Problem loading gadget." I have tried taking the battery out and holding the power button for five seconds but my widgets and apps that are not loading remain absent. I took some pictures with my pre (sorry, poor quality), let me know if this is happening to anyone else and if there is a solution.

4748370174_27fe4b1ee7.jpg

4748370002_b6139fe846.jpg

ecaggiani

Feb 18, 2010
www.zazzle.com
Just remove the broken widgets and re-add them. I hear that works.

--------
Sent from my HTC Evo 'cause it WAS the droid I was looking for.

johnjbrock

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I have a similar experience after the update. I play robowars often and my Evo was starting to act up like it was taking control of itself. It probably didnt help that I clicked away at the screen many times trying to play my game but eventually, it exited the game, and kept moving icons and enlarging and minimizing apps. Almost like a droid possessed (obviously it was lag) I just sat there and it never let me back in control.

Anyhow, this happened to me twice in 10 minutes. I took out my battery and restarted both times and have not had the issue the rest of the day.

I also updated the robowars to v1.3 yesterday. Thus, I dont know if it is an issue with the HTC update or the Robowars.

Last edited:

mohan37

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I've thought about doing the factory reset. What do I lose if I do it? I spent a LOT of time linking all my contacts' social media accounts together. I also have some apps that I purchased. Would I lose those? What about my calendar, jorte, astrid todo, footprints, etc data?

Is there an app to back everything up onto my SD card, that I can reinstall after the reset and restore things with? Or does that defeat the purpose of a factory reset?

Mo

MDteX

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Don't turn it off, just remove the battery while it is still on. With the battery out hold down the power button for about 5 seconds. Replace the battery and turn the phone on. This should take care of most of your issues, it did for me.

Should I stand on 1 foot with the battery in my left hand facing north?

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I've thought about doing the factory reset. What do I lose if I do it? I spent a LOT of time linking all my contacts' social media accounts together. I also have some apps that I purchased. Would I lose those? What about my calendar, jorte, astrid todo, footprints, etc data?

Is there an app to back everything up onto my SD card, that I can reinstall after the reset and restore things with? Or does that defeat the purpose of a factory reset?

Mo

All your paid apps are yours to re-download from the market.

There are backup apps that you can use to backup your settings, I read in another post there was something called MyBackup or something to that effect.

shellzda1

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I did the update, and everythingseemed fine. Yesterday my signal started going crazy, I would have full bars, no bars, 3g, no 3 g. It looked like it was an animated screensaver,lol. After the signal loss caused several dropped calls, I called Sprint. They said it was because I updated. After 2 techs disconnected me while transferring to advanced tech support, I get this chic who says she is advanced tech support and the only thing they can dois a hard reset. The kicker was, she accidentally said "even if I transferred you to advance tech support, that's what they would say". I asked for her supervisor, who said they would not transfer me up, I had to do a hard reset. We did that, he did not know how to do the provisioniong after. Said I would have tobe placed on a waiting list for a new evo. I went to sprint store (40 miles away). They called advanced tech and had it resolved in under a minute. I was soooooo frustrated, I plan to callSprint today to complain about how that call was handled. The genuis told me "well, you shouldn't have updated". Also told me that's what happens when you buy the new phones right when they come out.

mohan37

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
You should write your complaint up neatly and mail it in. Send it to a few addresses. Be polite but specific. Sprint has actually been pretty aggressive about fixing their customer service issues over the last year. If you can include customer rep names or at least the times you called, that will help. I think they would be very interested to hear your complaint - this is exactly the kind of thing they've been trying to fix.

Just be sure to be polite; I had issues earlier his month with my bill and they just spontaneously gave me a free 100dollar credit, totally legit and at their offering.

ecaggiani

Feb 18, 2010
www.zazzle.com
Any advice on which backup tools are best?

I use My Backup Pro and it works great. If you do the pseudo root called Unrevoked, My Backup Pro even lets you save app data settings. Also, it lets you schedule backups.

--------
Sent from my HTC Evo 'cause it WAS the droid I was looking for.

aimzmarie

May 9, 2010
Visit site
The genuis told me "well, you shouldn't have updated". Also told me that's what happens when you buy the new phones right when they come out.

i don't understand why anyone would say that you shouldn't have updated. if sprint pushes an update, people are going to do it. they assume it's safe and it's supposed to be.

QuasarZ

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
I did the update, and everythingseemed fine. Yesterday my signal started going crazy, I would have full bars, no bars, 3g, no 3 g. It looked like it was an animated screensaver,lol. After the signal loss caused several dropped calls, I called Sprint. They said it was because I updated. After 2 techs disconnected me while transferring to advanced tech support, I get this chic who says she is advanced tech support and the only thing they can dois a hard reset. The kicker was, she accidentally said "even if I transferred you to advance tech support, that's what they would say". I asked for her supervisor, who said they would not transfer me up, I had to do a hard reset. We did that, he did not know how to do the provisioniong after. Said I would have tobe placed on a waiting list for a new evo. I went to sprint store (40 miles away). They called advanced tech and had it resolved in under a minute. I was soooooo frustrated, I plan to callSprint today to complain about how that call was handled. The genuis told me "well, you shouldn't have updated". Also told me that's what happens when you buy the new phones right when they come out.

I have the same 3g and signal issue. So a factory reset fixed that? Did the reset wipe the update or was that still on phone and not needed again?

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I think Sprint may have done something on the network that affected the 3G connectivity. I was one of the early updaters, before they pulled it then re-released it again. I used my phone all day yesterday with no issues and this morning the 3G connection was lost. The wireless and network setting showed Mobile Networks as "Turning on..." and it was stuck in this state. I had to restart the phone and it has been working perfectly ever since. We'll see how the phone is working tomorrow morning.

pwnst_r

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Regarding app back up...

Use appbrain. Create another list online and rename it "back up". Copy your existing apps from the "on my phone" list to the "back up list". Once you do a factory reset, your "on my phone" list will be empty. Just copy the apps from "back up" to "on my phone", download app brain app from the market, sync, install.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay