Battery Cover - You're putting it back on wrong

clashcity74

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
WOW. Went to Best Buy and the Napoleon complex addled wireless dept. manager over there first looked at the phone, handed it back to me and dismissively said "There's nothing wrong with the device."

Upon me showing him further how the back was obviously defective he told me it doesn't matter anyway because we don't have any in stock.

I told him I understand there are none in stock, but aren't you going to mark me down for a replacement, and then let me know when it comes in?

He said any phones that come into the store are for new customers only and they can't reserve them for replacements.

This doesn't make sense to me. I said - So what you're telling me is I have to be lucky enough to figure out when you have stock of these devices and get to the store before you don't have any, and then maybe you'll replace my phone.

His reply - Yep.

Does that sound incorrect to anyone but me? Is this actually their policy?

I called Sprint and they told me I have to deal with the 3rd party store I purchased the device at for hardware returns.

The Best Buy twerp also told me past 30 days I can go to Sprint and get it fixed, but why should I have to wait 30 days?

Last edited:

clashcity74

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
So what I did was slightly flexed the back cover, pushing downward on the upper right side so that it curves downward more. And now when I put it back, it looks almost perfect.

I had to bend the living heck out of it to get it halfway corrected.

Hopefully it stays that way and doesn't flex back out of whack.

I reckon I'll not deal with Best Buy per the post above, and then after 30 days see if Sprint will send me a new cover.

laydros

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
There was a thread about this somewhere, I think XDA. My phone has the same problem, and I am very picky about this sort of thing, although mine isn't quite as bad as yours in the pictures.

The dumbest thing seems to fix this, and leads me to believe it is an issue with the cover, not the device. Putting the right size cut-down and folded over post-it note makes it sit flush, or closer. However I don't really want to deal with that either, but it might be a good stop gap.

As for who is responsible, its tough. Ultimately HTC is. If it was something besides a cell phone the store doesn't have much accountability, but with cell phones the carrier typically handles issues, and best buy kinda does that by extension from selling the phone. I'd call around and hopefully get some different people.

Nic

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
Call sprint and have them contact the same best buy and ask for the same manager if you got his name. I had to do the exact same thing for my wife's phone. I got the same run around with the best buy manager by me. He didnt seem to understand that all I wanted to do was swap covers with a returned evo to see if it fits better. If I read ur post wrong and you wanted to exch the device itself, best buy will most certainly swap out the device. It shouldnt matter if you re a new customer or not. Sprint has been fairly accomodating with the minor issues with this phone.

Hope it helps.

limekyle19

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
I have or had the same problem with my evo so when i had the cover off today i looked at the back and there are 2 round boss's that stick out of the cover and go into the phone.....one was round and the other was kinda of round but had more of a squared shape to one side so i took an exact-o knife to it and made it round and it seems to fit better now so just thought id share with you guys...

thewaterballoonist

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm having this same problem along with a bright spot on my screen, an earpiece that clips at moderate/high volumes, and the screen lifting/light leaking out of the bottom left corner of my device. The worst part is Radio Shack tells me they can't do anything for me because they don't have any in stock. I'll be returning mine on Friday and going back to my Mogul (gross) for a while until the Sprint corporate store has one in stock for me.

clashcity74

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm having this same problem along with a bright spot on my screen, an earpiece that clips at moderate/high volumes, and the screen lifting/light leaking out of the bottom left corner of my device. The worst part is Radio Shack tells me they can't do anything for me because they don't have any in stock. I'll be returning mine on Friday and going back to my Mogul (gross) for a while until the Sprint corporate store has one in stock for me.

I called Sprint's telesales because I was going to buy a new EVO direct, and then when that arrived take the one I have back to Best Buy.

While on the phone with the Sprint rep and explaining the whole thing she said while you get some benefit of not dealing with the rebate, and possibly a better price it's not worth using 3rd party's for the purchase because they can often have poor return policies and such.

I was told that if I order the new EVO and wait for it to arrive before returning and canceling my Best Buy EVO that I'd not be able to keep my ported phone number (which I've had since I got my first phone ages ago) and then there's the obvious billing confusion.

Their advice was to take it back to Best Buy and then call them with my cancel code. They would then send me a new phone as if I was just getting started for the $199 price, etc.. and I get to keep my number. Of course this would leave me without a phone for up to 5 days.

I'm just going to call the Sprint store down the street from my office every day until they have a phone and then do the process through them. That way I keep my number and get same day service. Hopefully they get another batch in the next couple days. They had 10 today that sold before 2pm.

A few people told me I was stupid for leaving AT&T because Sprint's service was horrible. With this situation that is clearly not the case. The 2 people I dealt with did everything possible to make sure I was going to have a quick resolution to the problem. A+ so far....

thewaterballoonist

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I finally got a resolution to my problem as well (fingers crossed). Next time I'm definitely going through Sprint directly. This run-around totally isn't worth not having to wait for a rebate.

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
So Best Buy has just the battery covers that can be swapped? I was going to head over there over lunch just to see what can be done.

My anxiety level is quite in check, however I paid $200 of my hard earned dollars for what is supposed to be the best smartphone on the market and in 1 week of use something is already broken?

Sorry but to me that is not minor.

I agree 100%. I paid $494 for mine, full retail. I have the EXACT same problem. When it comes to software issues, which I've had and still have quite a few, I just let it be and not let it bother me much because I'm sure as time goes there will be updates to fix those issues. With issues with the phone itself I'm sorry it may seem like minor to you or some other people but it's not. Like I said I paid almost $500 for it. I expect build quality to be as perfect as it can be. It's VERY annoying holding the phone with it not being flush. It definitely cheapens the feel of the phone. Once I'm able to walk again I'm definitely gonna be going to a Sprint store and hopefully get a new one.

ernier

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I have the same problem as the pictures posted here and i could really feel it when using the phone, going to radioshack tonight hopefully they will swap it no problem.

dkotoric

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
can somoeone that doesn't have this problem post some pictures, cause I have personally held 4 different evos and they all had this issue

aaronpaul

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
This is why I don't buy anything for more than about $20 from Best Buy. Haven't for about five years now.

Anyhow, i had this same problem, but not as bad as the OP. I stacked a few strips of black electrical on the inside of the cover right where it hits the battery. This gives the back cover a bit more curve when you snap it in on both sides and it made the fit on that (camera) side nearly perfect for me. Not the greatest solution, but better and less noticeable than my original post-it notes under the cover solution. Virtually unnoticeable and saves a lot of hassle of trying to get a replacement that's 100% perfect.

The Twanksta

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Bottom line. Unless you are dealing with a CORPORATE Sprint store, you are not going to get good Sprint Customer Service. My fiance purchased her EVO in another city, but need to wait to activate it. When we went to activate it we went to what we THOUGHT was a corporate store, but it was a 3rd party sprint store(similar to sprint kiosk in mall). Service was horrible and they try to charge an activation fee as well as a fee to copy al of your contacts($50) so we tried the kiosk in the mall, same situation, different price.

Luckily the last kiosk told us to try Sprint Corporate. We found our local corporate store and we recieved the BEST customer service Ive had in a while! It took the 15 minutes to activate the phone and they did EVERYTHING for free!

Oh yeah, both the other kiosks told us they could "add" insurance but that it would not be covered if anything were to happen. So they can add it to your bill but it wouldnt be valid, WHAT>?!? Sprint corporate said they were crazy and did everything without a hitch.

SeanBlader

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I switched to Sprint for the Palm Pre, and have been very impressed with their customer service, almost to the point of overwhelmed. I've gotten a call every quarter from them checking to make sure I'm on the right service plan. Even had one rep ask to drop my plan from a 450+unlimited data because I didn't use even 20 minutes of voice time. I had to stop her so she didn't get in trouble when I was without unlimited data on for a month and my bill potentially skyrocketed.

As someone else said, skip Best Buy, skip the kiosks, go to a Sprint Corporate location. I've been in 2 of them and both times they were brilliant.

And I'm sorry to report I haven't had a problem with the battery cover sitting flush once I get it aligned right, which is a bit of a trick. Even going to a Sprint store and saying, "Hey can you see if you can get this cover back on for me?" And I bet you get awesome help as you should since you pay more for service than every other Sprint customer.

clashcity74

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I finally got this issue resolved. And all I can say is I'm never shopping or purchasing anything from Best Buy ever again.

Read the previous posts if you care to know what happened with my Best Buy purchased EVO. But essentially I had a battery cover that was way out of whack and was told that it looked ok to them over at Best Buy.

When I returned 2 Best Buy reps (clearly college or high school kids) told me "Oh yea all the EVOs are like that."

I returned it and went over the Sprint store I've been calling everyday for 2 weeks waiting for more stock to come in and finally they go some.

They received 25 that day, and had 20 left when I called. I showed up about 1.5 hours later and they had 8 left.

Long story short - The Sprint store experience was well worth having to deal with mail-in rebate. The service was awesome, I was assured that the battery cover is not supposed to perform that way, and it was clear they stand by their product and will do what it takes to make sure everything is right.

I had 7 people tell me how much I was going to hate Sprint. I can't be happier that I left AT&T, and how great is this EVO? All my iPhone friends are jealous...

Last edited:

sum_n00b

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
My launch day Evo had this and the exchange I got has it too. However, the battery cover on my wife's launch day Evo fits flush all the way around.

Last edited:

Zindoh

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Mine had the lift as well. Didn’t start to bother me until I could feel it move with my case on. Same as most, mine was loose on one side, it kept popping up. If I pushed it back down the other side would pop up. What I did was removed the battery cover, heated up the little prong that was not grabbing, bent it very slightly. Now my cover sits flush and has no play. Yes, I can still remove the case with no probs. It seems like my prong was not grabbing or staying connected and by bending it just a little bit now makes it stay down. Yay! No trip to Sprint.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
OR ... you could just call HTC and they will ship you a newer, better fitting battery cover like they did for me?

Just throwing ideas out.

FYI - Don't call tech support, they won't help. Try 888-716-3594

Zindoh

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Glad to hear HTC was so cooperative. If I wasn?t able to resolve the Issue myself my local Sprint store did tell me to just bring it in and they would replace it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair