Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default It's only dust..

I've had my Evo since the 4th. I have had no problems at all. My battery is superb, and everything has been working perfect. Was talking with a co-worker who just got the Evo as well, and both of us were saying how we haven't had any problems at all luckily.

Of course, some how today - I checked my phone and a big ol' piece of dust is in the dead center of my screen. Obviously I do not want to return it because of that, since it is nothing major. Also I don't want to risk a small chance of getting a "dud" Evo.

My OCD is kicking in, and I can't help but to stare at it...

Anyways, I will most likely end up taking me Evo apart after work to remove that pesky piece of dust.

Just wanted to vent really.. As I said, was talking with a co worker who I talked into getting the Evo as well as his brother - so we were both talking about how we haven't had any problems.

So somehow this is my fault for even talking about it >.>

Global Posts
    346 Global Posts

You really should try returning that.. You shouldn't be getting dust under the screen...
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

As I said, there is nothing wrong with the phone which is why I can't figure out how I got dust dead center of the screen. The screen is not lifting up or anything a long those lines.

When the phone is off you can see the spec just sitting there, and if I view any sort of bright page (white background etc.) it sticks out like a sore thumb.

I still haven't decided what I want to do, ripping the phone apart to clean it would be quick and painless.

We will see >.>

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthpyro View Post
    As I said, there is nothing wrong with the phone which is why I can't figure out how I got dust dead center of the screen. The screen is not lifting up or anything a long those lines.

When the phone is off you can see the spec just sitting there, and if I view any sort of bright page (white background etc.) it sticks out like a sore thumb.

I still haven't decided what I want to do, ripping the phone apart to clean it would be quick and painless.

We will see >.>
    Yeah if it was stuck under the physical screen I would return the phone.. I understand how that can be annoying specially since you KNOW IT'S THERE.. I got a single spec of dust/dirt under my Zagg Skin... It wasn't that big a deal it was literally the size of a pin hole in the upper right corner of the screen. But after it dried and that one spot showed up I started messing with it and ended up buying a new screen protector because A. it was bugging the crap out of me and B. I made it way worse by scratching at it.....

Exchange the phone... If there is a spec of dust under there now imagine what it's going to be like months from now? if one got in many more are sure to follow...
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

The piece of dust is about the size of a period on the Evo. I can see if it was in the corner or something, but dead center - that is just odd.

Global Posts
    621 Global Posts

it's not OCD.

You spent GOOD MONEY on it. It has dust under the screen. That's unacceptable, because it means there's a gap. It also means there's the possibility of other problems.

Return. Or, if you think they'll laugh at you... get a whole lot of dust in it, then return.

Keep in mind if there is a break in the seal somewhere that has let the dust in you are going to see alot more issues than just some dust. I'd take it back and explain to them that it wasn't there when you purchased it and it must have a problem inside the phone with the seal.

Also don't forget to express that with the amount of money that is charged for these devises that you should be entitled to get your money's worth and that means having a device that is 100% at time of purchase or at least within the first 30 days.

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

ya i have been thru 4 evos they all have dust specks under the screen..I had a bunch of iphones that had dust i had a few htc heros they also had dust..just about all cell phones have some sort of dust or lint under the screen..jsut most people dont see it or kn ow its there..Im OCD like crazy I notice everything ..I kinda gave upon the dust thing..i figure if it off to the side its somwhat ok..but ya right in teh middle would drive me nuts...take ur phone outside in the sun light you wil see a few specks of dust under your screen..trust me..and trying to get the dust out of the EVO isnt easy I already tried..you need a heat gund to loosen the glue under the edges of the screen..so good luck lol..I ordered another EVO from sprint today I really hope this one doesnt have dust..then i can sale my other one..lol or hell i might just say hell with it an get the new SAMUNG GALAXY S with that killer SUPER AMOLED SCREEN...
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

The store near me will be getting a shipment in tomorrow at 11, so I may just go ahead and do that.

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

oh ya one more thing that DUST comes direct from the factory..I dont know how many phone I have purchased right at the store with dust under the screen..its POOR QUALITY CONTROL.....

Quote Originally Posted by dodgeram02 View Post
    oh ya one more thing that DUST comes direct from the factory..I dont know how many phone I have purchased right at the store with dust under the screen..its POOR QUALITY CONTROL.....
    truth.

when they manufacture screens and assemble them they are supposed to be in a dust free lint free environment. WHat you have is a manufacturer defect.

Dont feel bad taking it back, its not your fault.

I returned my instinct 3 times for bad screens, and my pre once for a bad pixel.
    It happens sometimes Bob or Jose has dandruff and scratches his head while at the plant.
    HTC Evo Cyanogen CM6

My New Evo came with one spec of dust about mid screen. I was bummed. i got home and decided to flick the screen with my finger right at the dust particle. It was just enough vibration to move the spec of dust to the bottom of the screen out of sight. I am very happy. No dust! even in direct sunlight!

I have the same problem, but the dust is very slowly accumulating at the top left corner. I took it to the Sprint store and they said that there's nothing they can do about it and that I should get a screen protector (which will not solve the problem). Do you guys think I'll actually be able to return it? Has anyone actually succeeded in doing so?

I exchanged my EVO at RadioShack for the top left corner dust issue. Yes demand a new one because the dust will only get worse. There is some sort of defect whereby dust is getting under the screen at that upper left corner.

Were you able to get a new one right away or did you have to wait for a shipment? Did they argue with you much or did they just take it back without issues? I got mine at RadioShack also so your experience will be helpful.

An entire thread about it, search for "exchanging for dust under screen"

If you don't want to exchange your device, you can take it to Sprint and they will clean the dust out for you for free. I used to do this with my Hero.