Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default EVO connect to USB

    I searched on here and found threads for the Moment and Droid, but not the Evo. I also searched the HTC support site with no luck.

    Whenever I connect the Evo to the pc, the "Choose a connection type" screen pops up, and before I can pick anything, it disappears. I can't pick the "Mount as disc drive" so I can't connect to the computer. I go the computer to see if a new drive shows up, but it doesn't.

    I've tried rebooting the computer and restarting the Evo, but still no luck. I have a Samsung Moment, and I can easily connect to the computer with it. Is there anywhere I can download USB drivers for the Evo?

    I would hate to have to take the microsd card and insert it into an adapter every time so I can transfer pics and vids.
  2. #2  
    dgp2003's Avatar

    Posts
    44 Posts
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts

    Default

    It took my laptop about a minute and a half to load the drivers or whatever it's called....I didn't think it worked, because I could see the drive but couldn't open it. Then a couple minutes later it worked.
  3. #3  
    2CupsWithString's Avatar
    passionately curious

    Posts
    2,809 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,825 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Super Noob View Post
    I searched on here and found threads for the Moment and Droid, but not the Evo. I also searched the HTC support site with no luck.

    Whenever I connect the Evo to the pc, the "Choose a connection type" screen pops up, and before I can pick anything, it disappears. I can't pick the "Mount as disc drive" so I can't connect to the computer. I go the computer to see if a new drive shows up, but it doesn't.

    I've tried rebooting the computer and restarting the Evo, but still no luck. I have a Samsung Moment, and I can easily connect to the computer with it. Is there anywhere I can download USB drivers for the Evo?

    I would hate to have to take the microsd card and insert it into an adapter every time so I can transfer pics and vids.
    Do you have USB icon in the shade/notification area? If you do, pull it down and select it, you should be able to go back to the selection screen of what you want the USB to do.

    Also, if not, but the USB is connected, do you have a charge light on your phone?
  4. #4  
    npark's Avatar

    Posts
    656 Posts
    Global Posts
    658 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Super Noob View Post
    I searched on here and found threads for the Moment and Droid, but not the Evo. I also searched the HTC support site with no luck.

    Whenever I connect the Evo to the pc, the "Choose a connection type" screen pops up, and before I can pick anything, it disappears. I can't pick the "Mount as disc drive" so I can't connect to the computer. I go the computer to see if a new drive shows up, but it doesn't.

    I've tried rebooting the computer and restarting the Evo, but still no luck. I have a Samsung Moment, and I can easily connect to the computer with it. Is there anywhere I can download USB drivers for the Evo?

    I would hate to have to take the microsd card and insert it into an adapter every time so I can transfer pics and vids.
    When changing on USB, you can pull down your notifications and then press the "Charging on USB" notification and make a selection then.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thefredelement View Post
    Do you have USB icon in the shade/notification area? If you do, pull it down and select it, you should be able to go back to the selection screen of what you want the USB to do.

    Also, if not, but the USB is connected, do you have a charge light on your phone?
    The Moment is an Android phone, so I knew to look for the USB icon on the top of the screen, but it's not there and the light isn't on either. The light is only on while the "Choose a connection type" is on the screen, which is about 1-2 seconds, then they both turn off.

    For whatever reason, the Evo isn't on HTC's support site: HTC - Support - Select Phone
  6. #6  

    Default

    I've been having the same problem. It's really annoying. When the phone is first turned on it'll show with no problem, but the computer wont recognize it. After a while though if you plug the USB in nothing happens at all. It just starts charging.
  7. #7  
    2CupsWithString's Avatar
    passionately curious

    Posts
    2,809 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,825 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Super Noob View Post
    The Moment is an Android phone, so I knew to look for the USB icon on the top of the screen, but it's not there and the light isn't on either. The light is only on while the "Choose a connection type" is on the screen, which is about 1-2 seconds, then they both turn off.

    For whatever reason, the Evo isn't on HTC's support site: HTC - Support - Select Phone
    I'd hate to suggest this, especially if you have a lot of apps but maybe a factory reset can get this going?

    Did this always happen? Or maybe after an app was installed? - Maybe you can try un-installing things that you recently put on?
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thefredelement View Post
    I'd hate to suggest this, especially if you have a lot of apps but maybe a factory reset can get this going?

    Did this always happen? Or maybe after an app was installed? - Maybe you can try un-installing things that you recently put on?
    It's a brand new Evo (just got it Friday), and I don't have many new apps on it. I updated with the over-the-air update the other day, but other than that, no major changes. Today is the first time I tried connecting to the pc.

    I'll try connecting the Evo at home and see if I have problems there. I'm using Windows XP at work, and Windows 7 at home.
  9. #9  

    Default

    if you do not have the "USB" Icon in the upper left Notification area, then the EVO is not connected to the PC.
    If you pull-down on the notification area. It will say--- Charge Only - Select to change USB connection type.

    Try another USB input -- Sometimes they are different and do not react in the same way. On my desktop, I can only use the USB connectors in the rear, the ones infront won't recognize it...
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tadtam View Post
    Try another USB input -- Sometimes they are different and do not react in the same way. On my desktop, I can only use the USB connectors in the rear, the ones infront won't recognize it...
    I'll try the rear USB ports tomorrow. I hooked it up at home on my Windows 7 computer and it hooked up with no problem.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default

    Tried the rear USB ports, but still the same problem. I noticed on the microSD card that there is a file called HTCSync 2.0.31. Is that for syncing your phone with the computer or what? Just curious if that would have USB drivers for the Evo.
  12. #12  

    Default

    Not sure if this is relevant to your situation, but if you are unable to connect or charge your phone through the USB ports on your computer at work, it is possible that your IT department disabled the USB ports for security reasons. I work for a large corporation and our IT department disabled our USB ports last year and now I have to bring my wall charger to work with me.
  13. #13  

    Default

    I've tried to connect my computer to both my desktop (XP) and my laptop (Win7) and it never works. Neither computers recognize the phone. It's really annoying. It's DEFINITELY the phone because I tried it with my old Hero a few times since I noticed this problem with my Evo and it works 100% of the time with no issues. I really hope HTC does something about this.....
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mightymouse68 View Post
    Not sure if this is relevant to your situation, but if you are unable to connect or charge your phone through the USB ports on your computer at work, it is possible that your IT department disabled the USB ports for security reasons. I work for a large corporation and our IT department disabled our USB ports last year and now I have to bring my wall charger to work with me.
    I know the ports work because I can connect a flash drive stick or my Samsung Moment to the ports without any problem. I have a microsd card reader, but I would hate to take the case back and battery out every time to get pictures or put songs on there.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

    Default

    By the way, just found out it has to be a HTC Evo USB driver issue because I can disconnect the Evo from the cable and connect the Samsung Moment android phone and it connects to the computer with no problem. The USB icon pops up at the top and after connecting, I can copy and paste files on the microsd card.
  16. #16  

    Default

    Geez, I'm getting annoyed by people always suggesting a hard reset to fix problems. It is a choice of last resort!

    I had a similar issue. My phone would charge, but I couldn't mount it as a disk drive. I'm not sure what fixed it, but here are some things you can try:

    1. Take out your battery.

    2. Unmount your SD card. Remove it. Put it back in and reboot.

    3. As someone else mentioned, check your computer and the status of your USB ports.

    4. Try a different USB cable.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: EVO connect to USB

    using a different usb port worked for me. I was getting and error 43 can't connect usb error.

Posting Permissions