Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google Voice - Anyone using it as their primary #?

Has anyone switched to using Google Voice as their primary phone number?

I'm thinking about doing this but want to see the pros and cons...

From the looks of it any call with use minutes. Then there is the pain in the *** of telling everyone to use my new number.

I like the notion of the call handling and such that GV has, but also not sure how I feel about having all my calls routed through Google - is Big Brother watching? I suppose they are on everything else anyway these days...

Any input, advice, etc?
    passionately curious

Global Posts
    2,825 Global Posts

I love it.

I started using it in October/November just for messaging. I used the Evo as an excuse to give everyone "my new phone number" and it's been great.

Yes, any call is routed through Google and it's a land line so it will use minutes.

Telling everyone your number is a pain but it's supposed to be the last number you ever hand out to anyone.

I love the routing and scheduling and greetings for different groups, not to mention with the Google Voice chrome widget you can text and call from you browser it's pretty sweet.

Big brother is always watching, IMO Google is the only tech company that at least tries to defend it's users privacy when it can, others have "kits" or packets of protocols for the government to use to just ask for information.

Global Posts
    499 Global Posts

I have been using the same number since GV was GrandCentral and its been a blessing. Go ahead and use google voice you wont regret it.

I use it for 100% of all of my calls

I have considered switching to Google Voice as my primary number, but there are a few cons that I found.

1. You cannot send/receive MMS messages through your Google Voice number.

2. The Google Voice SMS app on Android seems to separate conversations by person each day. Therefore you can have several threads of conversations for the same person instead of just one thread like the default SMS app. This is not very clean to me.

If those issues can be resolved, I think I would switch.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by WillJitsu View Post
    I have considered switching to Google Voice as my primary number, but there are a few cons that I found.

1. You cannot send/receive MMS messages through your Google Voice number.

2. The Google Voice SMS app on Android seems to separate conversations by person each day. Therefore you can have several threads of conversations for the same person instead of just one thread like the default SMS app. This is not very clean to me.

If those issues can be resolved, I think I would switch.
    Those are 2 pretty good cons. The 2nd point seems easily resolved is Google updates their application. I don't whats involved in getting MMS working although as adoption of Google Voice grows this might come along.

Certainly worth considering in whether to switch or not.

Any of y'all who switched over having issues with MMS or management of texts?

I have google voice as my primary number right now and I'm switching back. I primarily text and the ****ty implementation for a text app is very disappointing to me.also no support for mms is unacceptable.i probably won't go back to google voice in this day in age there is only need for 1 number anyways, and that's a cellphone.

Global Posts
    658 Global Posts

Well, for me it's like having the best of both worlds. I use GV for work, and then I get to screen my calls. I use my cell number for personal calls and it's great for that.

So, my GV number is great for screening calls for work, having 1 number that I hand out, instead of "here's my cell, here's my home phone, here's my work phone, here's the temporary phone number while I'm on this trip, here's my cousin's home phone because I'm working at his house today...." you get the point. So, this way, I also have a layer between myself and my work colleagues.

My wife just uses GV as a glorified calling card for work. So, really, the great thing about GV is that it's open for you to use it in the manner that fits you best. Maybe you don't want to switch numbers, maybe you don't need to. I would suggest don't make a change for the sake of simply making a change.

Lastly, if you have no data connection, you do not receive SMS messages. This is a dealbreaker for me, the reason why I would not make GV my sole number.

Global Posts
    291 Global Posts

Im using google voicemail and love it. Haven't had the need to try the calling with google voice yet.

Global Posts
    572 Global Posts

I also just use my GV number for work. I even send all my work calls to voicemail after 6pm, if its important they will leave a message and I get it via email.

Gmail or Youtube > MMS
    Every android phone can upload straight to either. Make feature phone using friends click a link or get with the program and use a smartphone instead p
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

do GV calls still count against your Sprint minutes? sorry if this is a stupid question haha but i just haven't really used my GV number enough to know
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Thanks for the input. Good stuff.

Sounds like this service isn't quite ready to use full time just yet - the way I would want to use it at least. But it certainly has the benefit of providing a buffer between your direct number(s) when needed.

That I like.

Also, I already use it for voicemail, and its great.

I don't like the idea of the poor SMS handling through the GV application. The lack of MMS stinks, not that I use it much - I usually email stuff like that.

So that would mean if I wanted to use GV full time I would also have to have people text me at my Sprint # in order to have proper threading and management of text messages.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by dallen13 View Post
    do GV calls still count against your Sprint minutes? sorry if this is a stupid question haha but i just haven't really used my GV number enough to know
    Yes they do.

I have been using my Google Voice number as my primary number for a while now. It's great. My favorite features are: 1. Only calls from my family and friends ring on my phone after hours; 2. Transcribed voicemail emailed to me; and 3. My landline work phone and my cell phone ring simultaneously.

Also, I have an old Sprint promo which allows unlimited calls between my cell number and my home number. I switched my "home number" on the promo to my Google Voice number. Now all GV calls are free.

Global Posts
    386 Global Posts

I love it. My only issue is that I've noticed roughly once a week or so I run into an issue of my text messages lagging, which is a known issue. But in general its a pretty strong service and one that I've found very useful.

Default Re: Google Voice - Anyone using it as their primary #?

Great ideas here. I've had a GV number for awhile now but haven't really used it. I recently switched my Skype caller ID to my GV number. Now I think I will use it for my work calls since I can use it with Skype to save on minutes with Sprint. And having those calls get deflected after hours sounds great.

--
    Sent from my EVO 4G with Tapatalk

i only use it for visual vm on sprint.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Quote Originally Posted by qwest4 View Post
    I love it. My only issue is that I've noticed roughly once a week or so I run into an issue of my text messages lagging, which is a known issue. But in general its a pretty strong service and one that I've found very useful.
    Do you find using the Goggle Voice application for text messaging difficult?

When you say "lagging" is that seconds, minutes, or what?

Global Posts
    499 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dallen13 View Post
    Yes it does

Global Posts
    2,443 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Root

Quote Originally Posted by gottria View Post
    I also just use my GV number for work. I even send all my work calls to voicemail after 6pm, if its important they will leave a message and I get it via email.
    +1 I only use it for business. The sms and mms is is just to big of a con for me to use it as a primary.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Quote Originally Posted by Dukins View Post
    +1 I only use it for business. The sms and mms is is just to big of a con for me to use it as a primary.
    I understand MMS because you can't even send them. What aspects of the SMS do you find not good enough?

Anyone have lag issues with it - mainly outgoing calls vs incoming? I have used it a few times for calls. Some come in great, but using it for outgoing calls can prduce a lot of lag particularly if it is cell - GV - cell.
    Treo 650> Moto Q> Moto Q9c> BB Storm> HTC Touch Pro> iPhone 3G> Palm Pre> iPhone 3GS> Droid> Incredible> EVO 4G

Quote Originally Posted by clashcity74 View Post
    I understand MMS because you can't even send them. What aspects of the SMS do you find not good enough?
    the google voice app for sms is absolutely TERRIBLE in my opinion. it starts a new thread daily and you cant customize it in ANY way.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Quote Originally Posted by Holsum View Post
    the google voice app for sms is absolutely TERRIBLE in my opinion. it starts a new thread daily and you cant customize it in ANY way.
    I haven't use it for SMS at all. But from looking around the application it appears to mimic the website. Is that the case? So essentially the terrible functionality with SMS threading, etc is just the way it works?

Global Posts
    309 Global Posts

For texting and SMS, I just stick with the EVO's interface.

When I call people for work or craigslist, Ill call out on Gvoice.

Its useful for some things, but not for a complete takeover.

plus 90% of the phones I call are cells, so I would lose out on my unlimited Cell to Cell calling from sprint.

It works well, but needs polish.
    Want to video chat on Fring ? Read the How-To guide here :
    How-To Video Chat on Fring !

If you need someone to help you test Fring out find yourself a Fring buddie here !
    Fring Buddies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast