It's been a week with my Evo (unbiased thoughts and review)

Grebnehtor

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Well I've had the Sprint Evo 4G for a week now and I thought it would be a good time to post my thoughts on the device and Android in comparison to other devices I have had. I have had iPhones, Blackberrys and a Palm Pre all in the last year. I am a little bit of a self proclaimed phone nerd, so lets get that out of the way. Let's start with some things that I would consider a negative on the phone as people tend to remember the last things they hear and this truly is an excellent phone.

Everyone's number one complaint with the Evo is the battery life. Well it was mine too up until Monday when I installed the update. The phone has seen a remarkable battery life change since the update and the phone now easily makes it through a typical day of use and then some. My biggest complaint with the phone is the fact that not every app has a close method. Some apps just will run in the background unless you use a task killer and I can't stand that. I also can't see whats running and whats not without a task killer. I come from being both an iOS user and Blackberry user and the Blackberry definitely has had the best app switching and close out methods of the bunch so far. I'll admit I haven't used the newest iteration of iOS so I can't compare it to that. I really hope in Android 3.0 they have a way of showing what apps are running in the background and a way to force close any given one of them easily.

That brings me to another point, and that's the use of Task Killers. I was using the popular Advanced Task Killer app up until yesterday. I found that it was doing more harm then good. My widgets wouldn't update, things would close if I hit the home button even if I was still using them, all kinds of problems. I had the app set to the middle level of auto-killing, but even using the ignore list I still had problems. I removed it and rebooted and the widgets all work well, I just hope it doesn't hinder performance or battery life without it.

Time for some positives on this wonderful handset. This truly is a grade A flagship phone. It is a conglomeration of some the best hardware out right now and it shows. I'm not going into detail on the hardware, as that is everywhere across the internet. This phone is fast, really fast. No lag between opening apps, web browsing or anything else. It's camera is good for a phone and unfortunately I haven't had a chance to record video with it yet. Being my first Android device, it has taken some time to learn the OS. I don't quite understand why people think Android is an OS for tech people, it's really not. Maybe it is the HTC Sense overlay, but this phone is incredibly easy to use and be proficient with. iOS is easy to use, but its simplistic icon for every app with no true home screen or widgets leave a lot to be desired. Widgets make all the difference in the world. Coming from a Blackberry most recently, this is a welcome change. I don't have to open an app to get sports scores, YouTube subscription updates, etc etc. This is great!

Android also handles notifications much like a webOS device does, except at the top of the screen. The window shade type of notification works well however certain apps won't let you at the notification bar (the browser?) easily or at all. This should be a standard across the OS, if you get a notification, no matter what you are doing, with the exception of full screen video, it should be easy to swipe down and get at the notification bar. Either way, the system works very well and is much less intrusive then the iOS pop ups.

The screen on this phone, front facing 1.3mp camera and 4G connection are what make this top dog and let it wear the crown of best Android device out. This screen looks REALLY good for being a simple LCD. The front facing camera isn't used much yet, but give it another month or 2 and let the Epic 4G come out with a front facing camera as well and I think it will prove to be a great feature. Unfortunately I do not live in a 4G area yet, but Delaware is on the map for this year! I've only used 4G once on this device so far just outside of Philadelphia and it worked well, almost seemed to be as fast as my home WiFi for web browsing. Hopefully the WiMax rollout speeds up as Verizon and LTE are coming and this could hurt Sprint if they don't get a move on.

One thing that is worth noting is this phone gets the absolute BEST signal I had had yet on a Sprint phone. I have had a Pre and a Blackberry 9630. The Pre's signal was atrocious and the Blackberry's was decent. This phone trumps them both with ease and I have yet to drop a call through past dead spots or have spotty service anywhere. Places where I'd show no service or 1 bar with previous phones have proven to be a non-issue with this device as it will show 2-4 bars in those areas. This phone hasn't dropped a call yet or not allowed me to use its data connection and I frequent Sprint fringe areas.

The bottom line? If you're up for an upgrade or your contract with your current carrier is up, give the Evo a shot. You won't be disappointed. This phone is phenomenal! The size of the phone quickly grows on you and you'll fall in love with it's feature set. My service with Sprint and the Evo has been great when compared with past Sprint phones and my iPhones on both AT&T and T-Mobile. This phone delivers on almost all of the hype and is worth the wait to get one. There is a reason my local Sprint store has a 100 person waiting list still almost a month after the launch.

Wow, that was much longer then I had originally intended, but I truly believe this is the best phone I have ever owned.

Steve

Last edited:

Seven2k

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Wow good review. Too bad most "gadget" site writers dont this ability and have an agenda. Either way nice read.

fivegear

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I find that your situation is very close to mine. I have had multiple BlackBerries, a Samsung Moment, an iPhone, the Palm Pre, a Touch Pro, a Mogul, a Centro, and the list goes on. My point is that I have had lots of phones on multiple carriers and I also find this to easily be my favorite phone so far and the most useful! My one complaint is most likely a rare one, I wish it had Push To Talk! I started 10 years ago on Nextel and only got Sprint service after the merger, we still don't even have 3G coverage in my area let alone 4G. iDEN has far superior coverage for me and I am forced to carry a Nextel BlackBerry on my belt right next to my EVO, I truly look like a phone geek!

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Really good review.... I have had my EVO since launch day and I can say I don't have the problem with ATK screwing up my widgets... I also don't use ATK full time either... I click on it a couple of times per day just to see what is open and I kill every thing including ATK so even it's not running in the back ground and since Launch day I have gotten pretty good battery life. I even went a week with out using ATK and the difference was really minimal at best. maybe 5 - 10% difference between using it and uninstalling it and going with out. Same with turning off the GPS antenna.. I did that for a couple of weeks and now I just keep it on. I see no difference in battery life with it on or off...

I came to the EVO from the iPhone.... I passed on the Pre because of the hardware.. I think WebOS is close to the best OS out there... They just missed it big time on the hardware... I also passed on the Hero, Moment and Instinct over the last year or so... Took a gamble on the Nexus One and if it wasn't for T-Mobile's crappy network I would still have it.... Because the N1 and Android impressed me so much I took the gamble on the EVO... Glad I did...

rockdawg

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I think the common complaint about apps running in the background is sometimes due to people not understanding Android. I think people get a task killer and see all those apps running and think "Holy crap! That's not good". Probably because we are so used to Windows and PC's where they do typically bog things down and cause instability. Don't get me wrong, I'm not ridiculing you or people who are bothered by it, I used to be too. But I kept reading people and technical articles saying that it doesn't matter because Android has good memory management and will kill apps on it's own if it needs the memory. Also, if Android thinks an app should be running, it will open it again later even if you kill it.

So after hearing all this I finally decided to stop killing apps and just let it go for a while and see what happens. Sure enough, I've had zero problems. Granted, many times I'll open ATK and see a big list of apps and my memory showing something low like 48MB, but my phone has never gotten slow or had force closes or anything negative I can tell.

I've finally concluded that, as long as my phone is running right, why do I care if there's a hundred apps showing as running? Likewise, If Android doesn't require any more memory, then why do I care if it's showing only a little free memory. If it needs more it closes what it has too and or can. And while I don't have the technical knowledge to positively verify that, I have seen things disappear off the "running list" without me killing them, so it had to have been Android.

None of this is to say that you'll never get a rogue app that stays running and suck down you battery. In fact, you most definitely will experience this at some point or another. Slacker has done this to me a couple times.

I found, for me at least, the best way to deal with all of this is to download Spare Parts from the market and keep an eye on "partial wake usage" under "Battery History" and if you see an app that's keeping the phone awake for a larger amount of time than you've actually been using it, then it's probably out of control and you should manually kill it. Coincidentally, this same page of info in Spare Parts has also lead me to believe that apps showing in task killers aren't always actually running. Some of the common culprits that always seem to be "running" in the background even though you haven't run them never have relevant amount of time showing in Spare Parts. Which would indicate that while they may be open in memory, they aren't actually using much, if any, resources.

Just my $0.02.

P.S. The EVO is a great phone!

Last edited:

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I think the common complaint about apps running in the background is sometimes due to people not understanding Android. I think people get a task killer and see all those apps running and think "Holy crap! That's not good". Probably because we are so used to Windows and PC's where they do typically bog things down and cause instability. Don't get me wrong, I'm not ridiculing you or people who are bothered by it, I used to be too. But I kept reading people and technical articles saying that it doesn't matter because Android has good memory management and will kill apps on it's own if it needs the memory. Also, if Android thinks an app should be running, it will open it again later even if you kill it.

So after hearing all this I finally decided to stop killing apps and just let it go for a while and see what happens. Sure enough, I've had zero problems. Granted, many times I'll open ATK and see a big list of apps and my memory showing something low like 48MB, but my phone has never gotten slow or had force closes or anything negative I can tell.

I've finally concluded that, as long as my phone is running right, why do I care if there's a hundred apps showing as running? Likewise, If Android doesn't require any more memory, then why do I care if it's showing only a little free memory. If it needs more it closes what it has too and or can. And while I don't have the technical knowledge to positively verify that, I have seen things disappear off the "running list" without me killing them, so it had to have been Android.

None of this is to say that you'll never get a rogue app that stays running and suck down you battery. In fact, you most definitely will experience this at some point or another. Slacker has done this to me a couple times.

I found, for me at least, the best way to deal with all of this is to download Spare Parts from the market and keep an eye on "partial wake usage" under "Battery History" and if you see an app that's keeping the phone awake for a larger amount of time than you've actually been using it, then it's probably out of control and you should manually kill it. Coincidentally, this same page of info in Spare Parts has also lead me to believe that apps showing in task killers aren't always actually running. Some of the common culprits that always seem to be "running" in the background even though you haven't run them never have relevant amount of time showing in Spare Parts. Which would indicate that while they may be open in memory, they aren't actually using much, if any, resources.

Just my $0.02.

P.S. The EVO is a great phone!

I do have spare parts as well just to see what is using battery life. Great App. After going two weeks with ATK and two weeks with out I see no major difference in battery life. Only once (for 4 straight days) my battery was getting killed in under 6 hours.... Some thing was open and running full time in the back ground and no task killer helped. I ended up having to do a factory reset to solve the problem.. Before and after the factory update I see nothing different running but before over those 4 days my awake and up time were exactly the same, rebooted a couple of times, pulled the battery... Even using ATK to kill every thing didn't solve the problem.. Very weird... Once I reset I started getting my 14 - 16 hours a day battery life....

Was like some thing in Android got hung for one reason or another.... One day I charged it up all the way ran ATK went to bed got up after 7 hours and the battery went from 100 to less than 10%... Awake and up exactly the same....

rockdawg

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Yah that's why I mentioned Spare Parts. When you had that issue, under Battery History>Partial Wake Usage, I bet it would've shown an app with a hige blue bar indicating it was running and keeping the phone from going into sleep mode when you're not using it. Slacker has done this to me a couple times and it totally drains the battery. Spare Parts was how I figured out it was Slacker causing it.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Yah that's why I mentioned Spare Parts. When you had that issue, under Battery History>Partial Wake Usage, I bet it would've shown an app with a hige blue bar indicating it was running and keeping the phone from going into sleep mode when you're not using it. Slacker has done this to me a couple times and it totally drains the battery. Spare Parts was how I figured out it was Slacker causing it.

I can tell you even with Spare Parts nothing stood out.... It was very weird.. With Awake and up times being exactly the same after a reboot... I had to put it on the charger 2 - 3 times per day for an hour or so at a time just to make it through a work day....

I would pull up spare parts and battery life on Android and the only things showing up were Android System, Cell Standby and phone idle (when left on all night not touching the phone) since the factory reset I am at 76 hours up and only 9 hours awake.

With spare parts it would read "Running" and be at 100% even though display was only at 2%, the partial wake usage had an empty block at the top and it was blue all the way..... But it didn't say any thing... It was just blank..... That has since gone away.....

Very - VERY weird....... other than those 4 days the phone has been flawless for me.... No problems at all....

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Yah, that is weird. Never seen that.

Some thing got hung up........... I am sure if I sent it back to HTC or Google (instead of a factory reset) they could have figured out what it was...

All I know is if I used the phone I was lucky to get 4 hours, if I left it alone about 6 - 7 hours before 10%.....

wrecklass

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I kinda stopped reading the OP after the part about apps running in the background. Its too bad Google can't convince people that this isn't necessary.

What is worse, when I got my EVO the Sprint rep that activated the phone for me recommended ATK to me. Google really needs to address that with the carriers.

--
Sent from my EVO 4G with Tapatalk

Grebnehtor

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I kinda stopped reading the OP after the part about apps running in the background. Its too bad Google can't convince people that this isn't necessary.

What is worse, when I got my EVO the Sprint rep that activated the phone for me recommended ATK to me. Google really needs to address that with the carriers.

--

It's all app dependent. For example, if I need to glance at Maps really quick, then I'm done with it, I don't need it running in the background using GPS (I never turn off GPS). Most apps are fine thats why I uninstalled ATK. However, some apps really should have quit functionality built in.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

--

I just downloaded ATK to test it with and with out... With my Nexus One I never used an App killer and had no problems at all. When the reviews for this phone came out and "Battery" life became an issue I went a week with out it and then a week with and then a week with out and the last week with it.. and when I say "ON" I don't have it turned on full time... When I click "KILL APPS" I kill ATK as well. I only click on it 3 - 4 times per day just to see what is running....

Overall I have seen almost no difference between using it and not.... As stated earlier in this thread I had a 4 day span where my battery was getting killed and even killing every thing with ATK my battery was done in 4 - 6 hours EASY... After a factory reset it's back to normal and it seems after the update on the 28th I am getting mildly better battery life.....

I think the only problem is when you just hit the "HOME" button it does not close or kill the app you were just using even if you meant to kill it and have no plans to use it again.

I still love Android and the EVO..... it does what I want and need it to do day in and day out...

rockdawg

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
It's all app dependent. For example, if I need to glance at Maps really quick, then I'm done with it, I don't need it running in the background using GPS (I never turn off GPS). Most apps are fine thats why I uninstalled ATK. However, some apps really should have quit functionality built in.

Maps doesn't keep using the GPS when you exit it. At least it shouldn't and mine never has and I never turn off the GPS either.

kudosmog

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I believe part of why people consider it a techy phone, is because it's Linux, and its generally pretty easy for people with knowledge of Linux to "hack" the phone. It seems to me that it's more open then any other mobile OS.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I am having great success with Spare Parts as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa