Capped 3G Download Speeds?

vashx85

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
Capped 3G Download Speeds? - xda-developers

So my palm pre would get 800 kilobits (100 kilobytes\second) to 1 megabits (125 kilobytes\second) a second at my home which has a tower about 60 yards away.
I now get only max 500 kilobits (62.5 kilobytes\second) a second maximum, which seems rather slow....

Is there a software cap on the download speeds?
Is sprint throttling traffic?
Anyone else notice slower speeds compared to their previous devices?

I used Xtremelabs Speedtest.

Thank you.

Super Noob

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
I use the Speedtest.net app for Android and I just tested and got 3,733 kbps download and 306 kbps upload. Oh, sorry, that was 4G.

Turned 4G off and with 2 bars using 3G, I got 514 kbps download and 229 kbps upload.

vashx85

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
I use the Speedtest.net app for Android and I just tested and got 3,733 kbps download and 306 kbps upload. Oh, sorry, that was 4G.

Turned 4G off and with 2 bars using 3G, I got 514 kbps download and 229 kbps upload.

yeah i used to get near 1 megabit with 3g on my palm pre.... hmmm weird.

azkevman

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
my last five 3g speed tests:

1.24MBps/0.62MBps
1.95MBps/0.39MBps
1.03MBps/0.30MBps
1.41MBps/0.71MBps
1.43MBps/0.59MBps

Doesn't seem capped to me.

Raptor

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Speed can be artificially limited by the network as they see fit and it can be limited by Physics when the demand exceeds the supply. A garden hose may be enough to supply drinking water to a thousand people but is unlikely to cover the needs of NYC -- Physics and Math are a b*tch!

Brian

1Brite1

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Hello. Yes, I believe that they do and have been for years. I have had Sprint service for 20 years now. My EVO speeds vary now from 1.2 MB/s download/.60MBs upload....to .27MB/s download/.27MB/s upload. I was wondering the same thing about throttling. I actually left Sprint for one year because I had the "Unlimited" data package with my family Instinct four phones and air card plan. I was using ALOT of bandwidth as I was backing up my Macbook/iMac to first Carbonite and then later to CrashPlan.....about 500GB. I got a letter saying they were discontinuing my plan...a year early into my newest contract. I could tell that they were throttling back then. Now, I decided to go back to Sprint.....with 10 months left on Verizon just because I have great 3g reception as the tower is right across the street. No 4G yet......hoping to pick up signals about 23 miles from Grand Rapids, Michigan. It is supposed to be "Unlimited 3G/4G for the EVO. I really hope that Sprint isn't going to throttle my 3G speeds again. But, having run various tests through SpeedNet/SpeakEasy.....I go from faster than normal 3G for what I was getting.....to very low speeds. Especially if I try to download more than one item at a time. I don't know if that is normal when trying to download more than one item.....mail/updates/program downloads......or if is another form of throttling. I used 20GB for this Sprint billing cycle. So, happy I didn't get the iPhone or Droid X......as I am loving my "Unlimited" EVO :)

vashx85

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
It could be my area is over saturated, idk, ill reactivate my palm pre on the third line i have thats sitting inactive and see if there is a difference... could be interesting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12