Engadget scores Evo higher than Droid X, battle won.

storino03

May 31, 2010
Visit site
hard to imagine. both have their positives and negatives. the ones that stood out, for me anyway, were that the droid x performed better in pic quality and video, and the evo performed worse. i hope we can get it tweaked.

IronStar

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I do agree. what stuck out to me was the data comparisons in that video. 4G spanked the droid X loading up that page. And when it comes down to it, thats what really matters. Also all the HTC Sense love :)

jrun

May 27, 2010
Visit site
hard to imagine. both have their positives and negatives. the ones that stood out, for me anyway, were that the droid x performed better in pic quality and video, and the evo performed worse. i hope we can get it tweaked.

Are the complaints people have with the EVO's camera and video capture abilities able to be tweaked in the software? Or are they more hardware limitations / specs?

jrcbandit

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Are the complaints people have with the EVO's camera and video capture abilities able to be tweaked in the software? Or are they more hardware limitations / specs?

It can be tweaked/fixed but I doubt HTC will do so. One of the biggest problems with the video is the poor choice in codec, but to use H264 HTC would have to put out $$ to license the patents. As for the camera, HTC could add in more post-processing to make default pics look nicer, but again it is most likely a low priority on their part. At least for the camera, users can manually set it to values to take some nice pics, not so much with the video camera due to the limited codec.

I thought for sure that the Droid X would get an 8 out of 10 rating with the main detraction being the new moto-blur or whatever you want to call it. Kinda silly to subtract points for not having Froyo 2.2 coming with the phone, maybe subtract points for that if the phone was being released in August/September timeframe.

joek1971

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I am surprised iphone 4 got same marks as EVO with all iphone problems.
BUt I am happy EVO got high grades, still solid phone. Just needs some patches here and there plus Froyo and all is great, with Ginger Bread coming should be lot new functions and tricks.

I think all limitations are software, just need to unlock and improve the firmware.

Holsum

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site

Hahahaha.... some people just cant put this down. Let me know how the new Superman 3D movie is going while you shoot it on your EVO.

Flip

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
Wooow where are all the people that was saying that Verizon 3g was faster than sprint 4g...they better look at that video dam I want 4g

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
It's all about your location. 4G speeds are consistently worse than 3G speeds where I live. It's an unfortunate fact.

I have run into the same thing... I don't live in a 4G area but I am visiting with my family in Raleigh, NC which shows pretty much blanketed with 4G coverage... Well in MOST spots I have actually had better 3G speeds than 4G speeds.. Even while the meter was showing full signal on 4G and 2 bars when I switched over to 3G.

There have been a few spots where 4G was faster but it didn't blow me out of the water.. Downtown Cary, NC, 3G was giving me 1.2 mbps down and 4G was giving me 2.5 mbps down. Yeah that is twice as fast but not really worth the battery drain you get with 4G.... When I was downtown Raleigh I actually got 1.5 mbps down on 3G and only .50 mbps down on 4G and the 4G signal was showing 3 bars....

Inside my parents house I get no 4G signal but on the porch or back deck I get 2 - 3 bars of 4G..... the 3G signal is full strength both inside and out.

All in all pretty much all the phones coming out right now vs the phones in the immediate future are neck and neck in quality/options/service... How can you REALLY put one over the other?

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Are you using a speedtest to confirm that or actual usage? Speedtest apps may only show 1.5Mbps for me yet other methods show 7Mbps in same spot.

See first post...
http://forum.androidcentral.com/sprint/15481-post-your-highest-4g-performance-test.html

Yes I've used Speedtest, and yes I agree there are variations in what's reported by different programs, however each program - regardless of the numerical values - still shows 4G being slower than 3G where I live.

Beyond that I have also measured side by side browser load times between my Incredible & EVO (which I sadly returned today) and consistently got better speeds with my Incredible.

UTnick

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
Yes I've used Speedtest, and yes I agree there are variations in what's reported by different programs, however each program - regardless of the numerical values - still shows 4G being slower than 3G where I live.

Beyond that I have also measured side by side browser load times between my Incredible & EVO (which I sadly returned today) and consistently got better speeds with my Incredible.

yeah, i don't know what's going on but it's getting worse around my parts. even when i get 4g connections they aren't worth it anymore. i was consistently getting up to 2 Mbps at my house and now i am lucky to get .6 Mbps. my high of 2 Mbps doesn't even seem to be very high compared to what some folks were getting. bahhh

BigAinCA

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Yeah. 4G in the areas available in Modesto, CA have ranged from 1.5-2Mbps which is not great. Then again the 3G is poor here as well ranging from .3-.6 Mbps.

digmys

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I have run into the same thing... I don't live in a 4G area but I am visiting with my family in Raleigh, NC which shows pretty much blanketed with 4G coverage... Well in MOST spots I have actually had better 3G speeds than 4G speeds.. Even while the meter was showing full signal on 4G and 2 bars when I switched over to 3G.

There have been a few spots where 4G was faster but it didn't blow me out of the water.. Downtown Cary, NC, 3G was giving me 1.2 mbps down and 4G was giving me 2.5 mbps down. Yeah that is twice as fast but not really worth the battery drain you get with 4G.... When I was downtown Raleigh I actually got 1.5 mbps down on 3G and only .50 mbps down on 4G and the 4G signal was showing 3 bars....

Inside my parents house I get no 4G signal but on the porch or back deck I get 2 - 3 bars of 4G..... the 3G signal is full strength both inside and out.

All in all pretty much all the phones coming out right now vs the phones in the immediate future are neck and neck in quality/options/service... How can you REALLY put one over the other?

There is either something wrong with your phone, or the area where you are in Raleigh. I live in Raleigh and travel through Cary to Durham to get to work every day and have never seen less than 3mbps using the speakeasy speedtest. I get 4-5mbps at my house on the top floor and about 3.2-3.5 at work and on the lower floor of my home. And outside, it is freaking insane how fast it is. Raleigh and the triangle area is one of the oldest and most mature 4G networks, they must be working on the tower near where you are or your phone has a faulty 4G radio.

kellte2

May 15, 2010
Visit site
There is either something wrong with your phone, or the area where you are in Raleigh. I live in Raleigh and travel through Cary to Durham to get to work every day and have never seen less than 3mbps using the speakeasy speedtest. I get 4-5mbps at my house on the top floor and about 3.2-3.5 at work and on the lower floor of my home. And outside, it is freaking insane how fast it is. Raleigh and the triangle area is one of the oldest and most mature 4G networks, they must be working on the tower near where you are or your phone has a faulty 4G radio.

I too get very little connectivity and/or speed in Raleigh. I live near downtown and can't even find a signal in my house half the time.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

I doubt it's a faulty 4G radio... up on Harrison Ave right off I-40 I have seen the 4 - 5 mbps speeds... 2 miles down Harrison Ave at my parents house 4G drops to around 1 mbps outside and then nothing when I go inside. downtown Cary it jumps back up to 3+ mbps (according to Speedtest.net App) I was downtown Raleigh at the Luna Cafe for a wedding reception and I got less than 1/2 a mbps while inside but outside I got nearly 2 mbps on 4G. As I was driving from Nashville, TN to Cary, NC I pulled over for gas in Greensboro and got the best speed readings on 4G at near 7 mbps. Last night I was at the Hooters near the airport and 4G was .75 mbps and 3G was 1.29 mbps inside the building....

3G speeds according to the App are always all over the place even when testing in the same area (like my house) from my house on 3G I have seen a pretty wide flux in speeds depending on the time of day and even the weather (or so it seems)

Honestly I have only turned my 4G radio on for testing purposes just to see if I got a signal and how strong it was and what speeds I was getting. 3G works pretty damn good every where I travel so I just leave it alone. 4G is mostly a marketing ploy.. I didn't buy the phone for the 4G because by the time Sprint has a really good coast to coast 4G network there will be improved Android handsets out.... I don't think Nashville, TN (Where I live) is expected to get 4G until Summer 2011 according to a friend who works for Sprint here in Raleigh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781