Resizing image for wallpaper

EVO1Android

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I have searched and found nothing on this topic so I apologize if this is a repeat post.

I want to resize an image taken on a camera to be my wallpaper. My question is what size should I size it to?

TIA!

EVO1Android

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
For stock sense (5 homescreens) the size should be 960x800 (width x height).

Maybe I am missing something. I resized the image and stored it on my SD card. When I go to set it as a wallpaper the image shows up with a green box over it. I am unable to drag the green box over the entire image.

Am I doing something wrong?

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
nope it's pathetic how HTC has this setup.
It actually crops and zooms to that part of the image to create space so when you scroll you will notice your image changes position.

I can't believe I am saying this, but this is something so basic even BB can do it.

EVO1Android

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
nope it's pathetic how HTC has this setup.
It actually crops and zooms to that part of the image to create space so when you scroll you will notice your image changes position.

I can't believe I am saying this, but this is something so basic even BB can do it.

I noticed that. I think it is kind of cool how the image moves as you scroll through the screens but I would like to be able to make this whole image my background.

Guess I am SOL.

mhespenh

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Maybe I am missing something. I resized the image and stored it on my SD card. When I go to set it as a wallpaper the image shows up with a green box over it. I am unable to drag the green box over the entire image.

Tap and drag on an edge of the box and you can resize it.

omogata

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I am able to move the green box to the upper left corner of the image then drag the lower right corner of the green box to stretch it out and cover the entire image. Dunno why you can't. Hmmm...

EVO1Android

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I am able to move the green box to the upper left corner of the image then drag the lower right corner of the green box to stretch it out and cover the entire image. Dunno why you can't. Hmmm...

When I move the green resizing box to the upper left corner, I can only drag it about halfway down the image and it wont go any further.

omogata

May 17, 2010
Visit site
mmm... Maybe it has to do with the aspect ratio of the original image? I always resize and crop my wallpapers in Photoshop before transferring them to the phone. The exact dimensions are 960x800. Even when I do that I still get the green box in the middle cropping out almost half the picture until I adjust it. Seems a bit stupid to me. I guess it's one of those features that still needs some refinement. Perhaps Froyo? :cool:

When I move the green resizing box to the upper left corner, I can only drag it about halfway down the image and it wont go any further.

Holsum

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site

thats because the image you are using is probably 3 times that of the wallpaper demensions. the arena you select is the ENTIRE image and not just that you see on the homescreen. If you connect your computer, take the pic off and resize it to 960x800 and put it back on you will see that the green box spreads perfectly over the image getting all of it.

EVO1Android

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
thats because the image you are using is probably 3 times that of the wallpaper demensions. the arena you select is the ENTIRE image and not just that you see on the homescreen. If you connect your computer, take the pic off and resize it to 960x800 and put it back on you will see that the green box spreads perfectly over the image getting all of it.

I resized the image in photoshop to 960 pixels by 800 pixels and when I put it back on my EVO it still only lets me select half of the image to set as a wallpaper. I have NO clue now.:(

EVO1Android

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Is your image 960 wide by 800 tall, or the other way around? If it's oriented the wrong way, you won't be able to select it all.

After reading your suggestion I found that in photoshop when I resize the image to 960 pixels wide and 800 pixels tall, after entering the height, it automatically changes the width to 600 for some reason.

ic3pO

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Creating WallPaper

I'm certainly no expert... but you may try creating a layer in Photoshop, any semi transparent color you like, to the dimensions you need then position it over the background image of your wallpaper where you want, then go to you wallpaper layer and crop it to match your transparent guide. Toss your guide/mask before saving and transferring. You should be very close to the dimension you need.

I can't find a wallpaper I like so I think I'm going to be making my own soon. Let us know if this works for you.

my $ .02

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
Put your thumb directly on one edge of the green box. Not inside the box, not outside the box, but directly on one of the green lines. Grey arrow boxes will appear when you do this. Now drag that line away from the center of the image toward the corresponding outer edge of the image. That will be full size.

EVO1Android

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Thank you all for the help and suggestions. I figured out why photoshop was resizing the image automatically.

When I was resizing it, there is a checkbox towards the bottom - constrain proportions. Once unchecked I resized the image to 960x800 and transferred it to my phone and it worked perfectly.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
After reading your suggestion I found that in photoshop when I resize the image to 960 pixels wide and 800 pixels tall, after entering the height, it automatically changes the width to 600 for some reason.

By default, Photoshop will maintain the same proportions of the original image when you resize it. Otherwise, it'll stretch or shrink the image in one direction, making the objects look skinny or fat. If your original image isn't in the same proportion as what you want (960x800),you have two choices:

On the image size menu, uncheck constrain proportions. This will stretch the image when you resize it so the proportions change. It'll make most things look funny.

Or, leave constrain proportions checked, and resize to 960 wide, and let the height fall where it may. Then crop that image to 800 high x 960 wide. This will leave the proportions correct, but obviously remove some of the image.

Edit: I see you figured it out already.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21