Touch input - Word prediction

dutchman71

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Anyone know how I can set it up so it will still show predictions but not automatically use them? I only want to see them and sometimes use them. I can only get it to auto select the highlighted word when I hit space....

The Droid X keyboard does this but I seem to have a hard time typing the correct keys on that keyboard.

ArkAngel06

May 18, 2010
Visit site
There should be setting that says auto correct on hitting space. Also, if you are still using the stock keyboard, I would suggest switching to the HTC_IME mod keyboard. It's so much better.

Google "HTC_IME mod v27"

Or use this tool to skin one for yourself. I think dark grey looks really good.

http://www.gimpsta.com/themer/htcime.php?

It's just like the stock version, but looks better without the arrow keys. And its way easier to type on. Also adds some new useful features and hacks.

Last edited:

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Anyone know how I can set it up so it will still show predictions but not automatically use them? I only want to see them and sometimes use them. I can only get it to auto select the highlighted word when I hit space....

The Droid X keyboard does this but I seem to have a hard time typing the correct keys on that keyboard.

I know what you want to do, to have the predicted text show and give you the choice of either using it or not. AFAIK there is no setting that will allow you to do this with the stock keyboard; you can either have prediction on or off, you can not set how it works once is on.

A not so elegant work around when you want to type something that is not on the device's dictionary is to actively choose the suggested word on the left, this usually has what you actually typed rather than a dictionary suggested word. Once you do this, it will be added to the user dictionary automatically.

I am new to Android, can anyone suggest a third-party keyboard that allows for what the OP wants. I like the phone suggesting a word for me, but I want the choice to select if I want to use it rather than the word being inserted automatically when I press space.

Last edited:

ArkAngel06

May 18, 2010
Visit site
The HTC_IME mod I was talking about definitely has that setting, cause I have mine like that.

As for editing text without the arrows, they added a setting that enables volume buttons to move the cursor, and it works really well. I don't really mess up enough to worry about editing text too often. the keyboard is just awesome.

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
The HTC_IME mod I was talking about definitely has that setting, cause I have mine like that.

As for editing text without the arrows, they added a setting that enables volume buttons to move the cursor, and it works really well. I don't really mess up enough to worry about editing text too often. the keyboard is just awesome.

Thanks, will check out.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

Thanks for that info. I'll definitely download it and try it out this weekend.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I installed the HTC_IME keyboard this evening. Thank you VERY much for the recommendation. The single biggest advantage this keyboard has is the ability to make the gap between the keys bigger.

Most would probably assume the bigger the better when it comes to keys. But the space between the keys is at least as important when it comes to eliminating typos. The bigger the gap, the less likely you are to hit the wrong key accidentally.

I do have one question though, if you know the answer: I can't figure out how to use a custom smiley. I created one, but it doesn't show up when I hold the smiley button.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

eagle0042

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I believe you have to have 2 or more smileys for it to work, and then you must kill the keyboard for them to appear. (use the very bottom menu option)