Evo to iphone 4 and back to EVO!

Lorak

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Just to add that with my EVO I am roaming at 3G on verizon also. Very nice benifit!!
Add in the fact that with the everything data plan that data roaming is free and it is a match made in heaven.

I honestly was a bit worried when I switched and went with Sprint. But I have been really surprised, and extreamly pleased with thier service thus far.

pank

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm a huge Apple fan like many of you here. I started out with the original iPhone, upgraded to the 3G the next year, skipped the 3GS for obvious reasons and quite honestly I just fell in love the the HTC sense UI and android. My wife has a 3GS and it is quite a bit quicker than my 3G. My contract with att is active until Jul 13th so I have both my 3G and EVO active right now.

I just started my 2nd week of my 30 trial with Sprint and EVO. I was very gun shy to jump over to Sprint. Like many others I have read a lot of horrible things about their CSR's, Network, etc... Same can be said for att, but I've always been pleased with the service where I live. So far the service has been great both when I called for support and using the network. I know it's only been a little over a week but I'm more than pleased so far. I also had no idea how slow my iPhone 3G actually was until I played around with the EVO and then went to go use my iPhone for a minute or two. Granted it's 2 years old so it should be a ton slower than a brand new phone ;)

Either way I still love my Apple products but will be jumping of the iPhone bandwagon soon. And as a true Apple lover I am getting peeved at how they are handling the current PR situation they are going through. Enough about that, time to spread the EVO love :)

Last edited:

csmith75

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I've been an Apple user since 93 and own a Mac desktop, laptop, Apple Tv, couple of iPods, and am typing this on an iPad. But I have never owned an iPhone and even if someone gave me one for free, i would still rather pay for an Android. There's a certain freedom that I like in my phones and I know how Apple works after 17 years as a customer. I don't want to feel locked down or only allowed to have what Apple (or Steve Jobs) thinks I should have.

oletyrags

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I thought that too. My parents live in a Verizon only area and I was at their house with my EVO and I was roaming 3G from Verizon. Downloaded apps, checked messages, texted, browsed the web, etc. No problem, no extra charge. When I first got my Treo, I tried roaming 3G there and it didn't work so I just never tried it again in the 22 months I had it.

BTW, one of my brothers just got two iP4s. He's a fanboy so no way he would ever admit that something is better or even as good as his choice. I do have friends with iPs who are jealous that I've got the EVO and they're stuck with their phones and AT&T.

That's great news if we can use data on roaming. I had a iphone(original 2g) for 2.5 years and I liked it. But I like my evo better.

flipdippy

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Wow. How much do you all spend on phones each year, and how are you getting out of contracts? Seems like people jump carriers or have accounts with multiple carriers?

And I thought I was a bit geeky for upgrading my 1 phone every 9-12 months.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Wow. How much do you all spend on phones each year, and how are you getting out of contracts? Seems like people jump carriers or have accounts with multiple carriers?

And I thought I was a bit geeky for upgrading my 1 phone every 9-12 months.

Some people get discounts, but others don't mind paying for phones.

I get a pretty good discount (39% off new equipment through Sprint), but I use my phone so much I don't mind paying a few hundred dollars a year if I want a better phone. I figure I pay ~$800/yr for a service plan, what's another few hundred dollars each year for a phone that makes the most use of that service.

cschang

May 16, 2010
Visit site
My kids recently got iPhone 3GS's, so I have gotten to use them more than I have in the past. I won't be giving up the Evo.

The thing that I wish the Evo had are the interactive games between phones...heck, it would be nice to be able to play between Evo(Android) phones and iPhones. In particular, a game the kids are playing a lot with friends and family that have iPhones is "Words with Friends". I would love to get in on it, and have been debating on getting a used iPod Touch to play when I'm at home.

Hopefully, there will be more interactivity between phones and platforms in the future.

joek1971

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Dont worry games are coming and i would love to have those kind of games on Android. I never owned a iPhone but all my friends do and they love to stick it to, one friend ran out and got the iPhone4 but now since i have EVO they are not as loud as before and with all there problems they hardly say a word now. I just keep asking them " HOW DO YOU HOLD YOUR PHONE? " I can hold anyway I like.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
My kids recently got iPhone 3GS's, so I have gotten to use them more than I have in the past. I won't be giving up the Evo.

The thing that I wish the Evo had are the interactive games between phones...heck, it would be nice to be able to play between Evo(Android) phones and iPhones. In particular, a game the kids are playing a lot with friends and family that have iPhones is "Words with Friends". I would love to get in on it, and have been debating on getting a used iPod Touch to play when I'm at home.

Hopefully, there will be more interactivity between phones and platforms in the future.

There are games you can play between devices...

As for iPhone to Evo, I know Homerun Battle 3D works across both platforms. Not sure about any others as that's the only one I play.

CruiSin

May 25, 2010
Visit site
We don't have a true "Apple" store here, but we have SmallDog Electronics, which is an Apple reseller. I was in with a friend so he could get a case for his iPhone 3G, and when I happened to check the time on my EVO the guys there were very interested in what my phone was. I handed it over and watched them ooooh and ahhhh...it was classic to watch.

One of the other things I have noticed is that it seems the EVO does indeed roam in 3G. My Pre only would roam in 1X (voice and data, albeit slow), but lately I have occasionally seen the roaming triangle along with the 3G symbol and speeds seem on par. Perhaps that's part of the whole $10 extra we pay, covering extra costs incurred in general.

Nebilim

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Finally went to the AT&T store yesterday and returned the iPhone 4 to go fully EVO for good. Even though the antenna and proximity sensor problems are present and AT&T and Apple have both said they'd waive the restocking fee in the 30 days for the iPhone given its problems, the store manager still tried to charge me the restocking fee anyway until I argued with him on it and he backed down. Pretty lousy.

I really like most Apple products, but even without the EVO I'd have returned the iphone 4 out of principle. I really think Apple blew it on how they responded to this- very arrogant. I am a leftie and I did have the antenna problem. When I would hold it would drop calls. For Apple to say it was just a matter of the bars being overstated is only half the story- it also dropped calls held the wrong way. Sure, they'll do some fix today in their press conference, and it may even be a full recall (doubt it, but hope so). However, they should have reacted weeks ago.

But, regardless of those problems with the iphone it is great to be fully EVO again and for good now (until the next early adopter crack comes along that I can't resist) for reasons noted at the beginning of this thread. And yes, I can actually read things on the EVO screen without squinting like on the iPhone.

finally thanks you, an honest opinion from someone who actually used BOTH.

I hate apple fanboys, pathetic. my friend and I swapped the Evo and the iphone for a day. i couldnt wait until i could get my evo back

coolqf

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
are you sure you were not using verizons 1x? i know for sure on my old pre i could only data roam on 1x, sooo slow.

I can also roam on Verizon 3G for free. Back when I had the HTC Mogul i'd roam on 1x, but since the Pre, which I got in September, when I data roam, it's always EVDO. I've checked my bill to make sure, and no roaming fees. I live in DC.

mtbrown75

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
I am in the same boat. I retired my Palm Pre for the Evo. Then I took the Evo back and got the iPhone 4. The iPhone 4 is slick, I love the design. And the apps and UI do have that polished clean look, but I am really missing my Evo. I like that I can customize the Evo more then the uPhone 4 and I miss the social integration.

I think I am turning in my iphone 4 and getting my Pre cut back on until Sprint gets more Evo's in stock. I have like 3 more days to decide. Technology is a trip lol

bclinger#IM

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
If it were not for the screen keyboard, I would be totally happy with my Evo. Every day goes past and I get a bit more comfy with it, so I guess in 353 days I will love it.

TheMobileWorx

May 8, 2010
Visit site

Jobs will do everything in his power to keep this from happening. He has to keep all his users in a tight fishbowl blissfully unaware that there are other options that are just as good or better at doing the same things and running the same apps. They are currently gestapo style threatening iPhone developers from porting to Android right now.

davyhill21

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
They were speaking earlier in this thread about the screen responsiveness, some people don't notice it on the evo, but I've nerded around with enough other phones to notice it. So I rooted (using unrevoked3) and flashed the regular sense rom and then the fps fix. No problems noticed and I don't have to make any sacrifices, AND the screen is like Jello made by Bill Cosby. Just my late 2 cents

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Can you point me to a link for the fps fix, and how to apply it?

When you say you flashed the regular sense ROM, exactly what do you mean? I thought unrevoked3 left you with the regular Sense ROM.

Thanks,

DougB541#CB

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Even with the uncapped FPS...its not as smooth as the iPhone and anyone saying that is lying or hasn't used it.

The iPhone just feels a lot more organic with scrolling. Hell, the Pre has a more organic feel. Its hard to explain but i notice it. Android scrolling is a different feeling from Webos/iOS...though the organic feel i don't care about if i have the responsiveness of android vs. webos.

NYClawstudent

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
are you kidding me? The Palm pre had some of the slowest scrolling and navigating that any smartphone had. It didn't have enough hardware to keep up with the software.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles