EVO Tethering Online Games, torrent, etc...

VKitty

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
I am thinking about buying the Evo, so I can ditch my cable company for internet. If I just use the Evo tethered to my home computer I will be saving almost $50 a month.

Do you think its feasible to do this? Or should I just stay with my cable company for internet.

I do play a few Online Games, as well as download from newsgroups, and some torrents.

ArkAngel06

May 18, 2010
Visit site
You will NOT be able to play video games over 3g or even 4g....You need real broadband.

Even with 10mb/s, which is the best case scenario, your latency would just be too high.

storino03

May 31, 2010
Visit site
It's decent, but if the online game requires precise movements with other places, it may lag a lot. Other than that, nothing beats a dedicated cable internet

charliegrs

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Good lord people really have way too high of expections for what a tethered internet connection can do. Gaming? maybe if your playing monopoly, but anything like counterstrike or call of duty whatever first person shooter is hot this week forget it. And torrenting? I dont see why not but does sprint have any kind of unspoken cap on downloads? Like I know they say its unlimited, but does that mean you could download 50-100 gigs a month without them cutting you off? I know this is the case with other providers.

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Lol... any game that requires timing... you're going to be annoyed with.
Unless you're playing turn by turn games like Civilization, the delay wouldn't be fun.

jmyadagod

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Yea i dont know about gaming but torrents i am maxing out around 750 Kb/s so u should be good with them i even use my evo to power my FTA connection

** only thing i miss is not being able to set something to download and leave the house and it be done when it comes back*

werx

Banned
Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Wow okay guys need to shut up please because I actually do all of the above this guy mentioned.

First: Gaming comes down to latency and latency is distance to distance from servers. On 3G in CO I get anywhere from 150-200 MS pings but the games I play do not require crazy awsome Quake 3 Arena 10 MS ping or GTFO stuff.

Torrents also go as fast as your 3G can handle. I have transferred roughly 15-20 gigs so far this month and speeds are capped at 130KB/s for my 3G here. Not too fast, but its what my speedtest app shows as my cap as well.

All in all - see my post in this forum. I too am never going back to Comcasts bull**** ISP again. First off -its too slow for what I pay. In Japan they pay $30 USD and get gigabit home connections. I pay $50 and I'm barely breaking 2mb/s. Second, Comcast is a cartel corporation that will screw you out of your money as much as possible. I can't tell you how awful their customer support is. Three, they cap their bandwidth now - a HUGE no no for me. I will not support ANY company that caps internet bandwidth. Who the F do they think we are? Some backwards amazon tribe that will haggle? Please...

Ditch Comcast for anything else but do us consumers a favor and just ditch them period.

EDIT: BTW YOU DON'T NEED TO PAY $30 TO FRIGGIN TETHER!! PDANET APP HELLO ANYONE?

wrecklass

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
EDIT: BTW YOU DON'T NEED TO PAY $30 TO FRIGGIN TETHER!! PDANET APP HELLO ANYONE?

Until you discover Sprint's bandwidth cap. While they say the $10/month is for "unlimited" you can bet that if you consistently hit the invisible limit there will be a consequence. Probably they will cap your speed. Many experts already believe that will be the case.

--
Sent from my EVO 4G with Tapatalk

McPlot

May 25, 2010
Visit site
If you were getting 2mb with Comcast, then you had one of three things happening.
1. You had the Eco tier, which is 1.5mb down but I have a friend who gets 2mb down out of it.
2. Your router sucks. Sorry, but it is the truth. I do tech support and I have been to many homes with Comcast, Qwest, and other internet connections where I connected my test computer directly to the modem (cable or DSL) and I got just fine speeds. I connected the customers computer direct, the speeds where fine too. As soon as their router was connected, it crapped out. And until I showed them that, they were all "My ISP sucks and when you prove it is them, I am suing, or charging them for you coming out."

3. Your computer has too much malicious software on it. Spyware, adware, virus, etc. All those WILL slow your connection down, but they do not always "see" the connection when it goes through the USB. (tethering). Using the EVO's WiFi, they will "see" it.

4. You are not really having issues, you are just mad that Comcast charged you for a adult PPV or you had a 2 hour outage when you had a Call of Duty game scheduled. Maybe your promotion ran out and you have to pay full price now. So you trash Comcast just because you are mad at them. I have heard it a million times. "My (insert ISP) sucks. They have horrible customer support. I could not get online for 10 minutes today and they refused to give me a months credit!"

This is not meant to insult you. But I make my bread and butter off of people like you. I rarely ever go to someones home who is having internet speed issues, and find it is actually their ISP. It is normally their router 1st. Malicious software 2nd. User error 3rd. I get my $120 and go home.

werx

Banned
Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
If you were getting 2mb with Comcast, then you had one of three things happening.
1. You had the Eco tier, which is 1.5mb down but I have a friend who gets 2mb down out of it.
2. Your router sucks. Sorry, but it is the truth. I do tech support and I have been to many homes with Comcast, Qwest, and other internet connections where I connected my test computer directly to the modem (cable or DSL) and I got just fine speeds. I connected the customers computer direct, the speeds where fine too. As soon as their router was connected, it crapped out. And until I showed them that, they were all "My ISP sucks and when you prove it is them, I am suing, or charging them for you coming out."

3. Your computer has too much malicious software on it. Spyware, adware, virus, etc. All those WILL slow your connection down, but they do not always "see" the connection when it goes through the USB. (tethering). Using the EVO's WiFi, they will "see" it.

4. You are not really having issues, you are just mad that Comcast charged you for a adult PPV or you had a 2 hour outage when you had a Call of Duty game scheduled. Maybe your promotion ran out and you have to pay full price now. So you trash Comcast just because you are mad at them. I have heard it a million times. "My (insert ISP) sucks. They have horrible customer support. I could not get online for 10 minutes today and they refused to give me a months credit!"

This is not meant to insult you. But I make my bread and butter off of people like you. I rarely ever go to someones home who is having internet speed issues, and find it is actually their ISP. It is normally their router 1st. Malicious software 2nd. User error 3rd. I get my $120 and go home.

Hey maybe you should stfu. I worked at IT and am Cisco certified. Your logic is failed in every sense. I meant 2MB/s down.

All of your crap comcast ass kissing just proves one thing that you already verified: you work for comcast. Not only does Comcast suck but American ISPs suck in general. Maybe if you knew something about GLOBAL internet usage you would realize that in Sweden they get 100/100 connections to homes for less then what we pay here for 10/10. Oh wait you wouldn't because you come on here bashing people with knowledge of situations that are out of your dead end tech support job.

Edit: Oh and I'm not trying to insult you I am just trying to add some light to the situation. You say you make your bread and butter off 'people like me'? I'm the person making $60,000 programming software that people like YOU go around driving in a van to peoples home swapping out. Get a clue.

Last edited:

Raptor

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Wow okay guys need to shut up please because I actually do all of the above this guy mentioned.

First: Gaming comes down to latency and latency is distance to distance from servers. On 3G in CO I get anywhere from 150-200 MS pings but the games I play do not require crazy awsome Quake 3 Arena 10 MS ping or GTFO stuff.

Torrents also go as fast as your 3G can handle. I have transferred roughly 15-20 gigs so far this month and speeds are capped at 130KB/s for my 3G here. Not too fast, but its what my speedtest app shows as my cap as well.

All in all - see my post in this forum. I too am never going back to Comcasts bull**** ISP again. First off -its too slow for what I pay. In Japan they pay $30 USD and get gigabit home connections. I pay $50 and I'm barely breaking 2mb/s. Second, Comcast is a cartel corporation that will screw you out of your money as much as possible. I can't tell you how awful their customer support is. Three, they cap their bandwidth now - a HUGE no no for me. I will not support ANY company that caps internet bandwidth. Who the F do they think we are? Some backwards amazon tribe that will haggle? Please...

Ditch Comcast for anything else but do us consumers a favor and just ditch them period.

As someone that has Sprint 4G with my Evo I do hope Sprint can find a way to cap your data use! Why do I say this -- is it because I don't like you? Well, no, I don't know you so that's not the reason. The reason is that as you and others suck up huge amounts of bandwidth you make my phone-internet experience less enjoyable by eating bandwidth I could use.

Comcast and Sprint own the networks you wish to suck dry and expect to do so for free -- get a clue! We are going to be forced, eventually, into plans that are tiered and, after that, metered -- it's just a mater of time. And, as folks like you eat 10X or more the bandwidth of other users, and do so on the backs of the majority of folks that eat less than 2GB/month, I for one don't particularly like subsidizing your internet use.

The days of unlimited plans are nearing an end and it is because of folks like you that this is happening.

Brian

CB BL

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
Wow you have all those big time certifications and all theyre paying you is $60,000 a year? Damn dude you should be making 2-3x that much with all that training.

Rudementry

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Wasn't Werx the guy that got pissed off at screen protectors? Lol this guy is bipolar. Order your steak rare at a restaurant and this guy might cuss you out.

Eric1987

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
You will NOT be able to play video games over 3g or even 4g....You need real broadband.

Even with 10mb/s, which is the best case scenario, your latency would just be too high.

FALSE! I have been playing LOTRO easily. I even downloaded the 10gb beta too. As long as you have a good 3g/4g signal you can easily do that.

Rudementry

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Personally, I don't see how anyone can live in a house without at least 15bmps down, but thats probably just because I was tortured with dial up as a child.

Last edited:

charliegrs

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
As someone that has Sprint 4G with my Evo I do hope Sprint can find a way to cap your data use! Why do I say this -- is it because I don't like you? Well, no, I don't know you so that's not the reason. The reason is that as you and others suck up huge amounts of bandwidth you make my phone-internet experience less enjoyable by eating bandwidth I could use.

Comcast and Sprint own the networks you wish to suck dry and expect to do so for free -- get a clue! We are going to be forced, eventually, into plans that are tiered and, after that, metered -- it's just a mater of time. And, as folks like you eat 10X or more the bandwidth of other users, and do so on the backs of the majority of folks that eat less than 2GB/month, I for one don't particularly like subsidizing your internet use.

The days of unlimited plans are nearing an end and it is because of folks like you that this is happening.

Brian

Thank you for this. Atleast someone besides me has some common sense. When sprint goes the way of ATnT {but probably not before verizon} we can thank all the chumps pirating movies in 1080p on theyre tethered computers. Thanks jerks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC