Changed from Evo 002 to 003, why does the screen look better

YBCold

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
epson is better imo... 002s have a purple tint to them. Some people might think that's better because colors come out looking darker because of the tint, but I like things to look brighter and how they're supposed to. For example... look at this pic below where the one on the left is nova and right is epson... then look at the screenshot under it. The wallpaper, clock background and menu bar are not supposed to be purple is all i'm saying. So while people may have a preference for 002, it does not mean 003 sucks at all. I'm sure there are just as many, if not more who think 003 is better. A lot of people hear 003 sucks and then they start freaking out about it without checking anything out. I know there are different opinions, but hopefully people aren't just returning and complaining simply cuz they don't have the one others say is better....
002and003-550x366.jpg

snap20100530_094626.png

Sorry, I have the Purple tint to my EVO home screen and it is a #003 hardware, so its not a Hardware determined option.

xominous

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, I have the Purple tint to my EVO home screen and it is a #003 hardware, so its not a Hardware determined option.

And mine is #002 and I do not have the Purple tint, so I would agree that it is not based soley on the hardware # that you have.

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

You probably have 0003 with novatec, not Epson. It's all about the display, not the hardware version. What we know is all 0002s have nova, but not all 0003 have epson (some actually have nova). Nova has warmer tones and epson has colder tones.

And mine is #002 and I do not have the Purple tint, so I would agree that it is not based soley on the hardware # that you have.

that's what i thought about my droid incredible, until i saw the thread about htc and amoled displays (a lot have pink/purplish hues similar to what we're seeing with the LCDs). Then I noticed the strange colors, especially when sitting it next to one that didnt have the issue.... Anyway, we should all think whether all this matters. I bet I'd be happy with both.

Last edited:

reigndropz

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Download Android Terminal Emulator (from the market), run proggy, type dmseg and hit enter.

Look for a line that says <7> and lists mddi. It's Novatech if it says Nova, Epson if it says Epson.

the command above is typo...its 'dmesg'

That will bring that line up. Hope that helps.

xorbe

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
The Epson looks greenish, and brighter black in that pic. If that's what you like ...
I'm an HTPC/projector enthusiast, and my 002 screen looks fantastic.

Also, there is a variance within the same LCD panels. Your 003 may just actually look better.