Goodbye Pre, Hello EVO

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
i also jumped from the pre. if i could put webOS on my evo, and keep the widgets i would be sooo happy. I hope people out in palm land are listening.

webOS ROCKS! pre SUCKS!

Mine was fine for like 6 months. then disaster. the power button broke, and i had to replace it every 3-5 weeks for 6 months. Stupid minor problems. speaker stopped, stopped charging, another power button...random resets. and then finally a clean wipe, and my palm profile went missing....i lost it.

So i have an evo. and i like it.

i miss cards, i miss gestures, i miss the keyboard, and most of all i miss the alert system.

Well, don't know if you are aware but the guy that was responsible for the IU design of WebOS jumped ship to Google a couple of months ago; if I remember the piece, he was hired by Google as Vice-President of user experience of Android. Guess he will bring some UI enhancements on future Android releases.

tsak6789

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Hi all!
Today I ordered the HTC Evo to replace my PRE. Too many times i've wanted to throw that thing out the window. I hope the Evo lives up to all the hype

prEvo

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I also left my pre for the EVO. I enjoyed the pre, but it would screw up all over. The EVO does things better and faster. I don't need crazy apps, it's got everything I need. The speaker for music is very well balanced eq wise. Loaded videos are killer.

But the clincher is the Google navigation. Load up your trip, lose data connection, no problem. Get off track during this, just drive onto the blue line and you are back in action.

Last edited:

reynoldsrobbie

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I went from a pre ordered Pre to a pre ordered EVO. What a huge upgrade. I gave the Pre to my son, so I still here and see it. That Pre had so many problems. I think I was on number 4. The last replacement was a brand new unit and the speaker has gone out on it again but my son doesn't care. The biggest thing for me was the screen! I can never go back to a small phone again. EVO = WIN

sstea

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Returned my Evo

Went from Pre to Evo. Really liked the EvO. I don't know how much of it was the new shiny toy factor.

I returned my Evo a couple of days ago. I could not get used to the on screen keyboard. It was OK for quick messaging but for longer emails etc. it just didn't work for me. I also got hung up on the underpowered GPU. Such a great phone but I felt like they were short sighted on the processor.

I am sold on Android and I will be back. I am holding out hope for the Epic. Need the keyboard....Like the GPU performance.

Going back to the Pre was a shock at first. Very hard to go back to a screen that is half the size! The EVO was more interesting and fun to use....To give credit to the Pre...The WebOS is still much more seemless, tweaking much more user friendly (preware) and typing is much faster and easier for me on a real keyboard.

Hope to be back soon...If the Epic doesn't meet expectations I may come back to the Evo.

GenericMusings

May 24, 2010
Visit site
... I returned my Evo a couple of days ago. I could not get used to the on screen keyboard. It was OK for quick messaging but for longer emails etc. it just didn't work for me. ...

I was very surprised at how much faster I was able to type using the EVO's virtual keyboard as opposed to the Pre's hardware keyboard which always felt cramped to me. No worries. If the EVO's virtual keyboard isn't working for you then you need to find something that will. Good luck. :)

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
As much as I love the Evo, I will be taking the Samsung Epic for a spin when it becomes available. Have used phones with actual keyboards all this time, and despite the Evo's virtual keyboard being so nice, I still miss a real one for longer typing chores.

srfcrzy

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
I'm on a wait-list for my EVO. Was feeling so conflicted about giving up my Pre because I love WebOS (cards, swiping, flicking, gestures). It's just that, as many of you have mentioned, the hardware is a bit weak, the screen is so effing small, and, well, I guess maybe I'm just ready for a shiny new phone/toy! :)

Makes me a bit more comfortable to find a like-minded group of Prefans who are making the switch. Kind of funny how people feel so connected to WebOS and sad about moving on, lol.

christo1970

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Thought it would be time to revive this thread, lol... so many of you gone now :(
I'm happy using Android still, heck even the site switched over eventually! Pre Central, lol, I was here in 2001 for Vistor Central, funny how much changes yet stays the same.... currently using nexus 5, Moto 360, Note 8, a chromebook, and some cool Chinese VR goggles

Any other old timers still around?