Sprint EVO 4G The first 30 day's review

docangle1

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
After 30 days of using the Evo it is definitely a Love/Hate relationship. After many years of using Windows Mobile, PalmOS and IOS Android is a different Animal.

Software:

I really like the Sense UI after using it on the Windows Mobile (v2.5) it really does make Android look a lot more polished and helps streamline steps for certain tasks like texting and sending pictures.

I am not that happy with the 1.47 update (OTA) as it seemed to take away more than it improved (removed wallpapers, Stock Launcher and decreased 4G signal strength.) Fortunately I had to replace my unit (more later) and I am now back on 1.32.651.6.

Other HTC software that I find is really useful is Friendstream and the Stocks App.

Sprint Customizations are hit and miss, I don't understand the point of Sprint Zone (Self-promotion crap.) and if you don't go into it and reduce the sync time( I set it to only update on Startup) it will kill your battery. Sprint TV and Sprint Navigation are the best apps and are very useful. NFL or Nascar apps or only useful if you are fans of the sports.

Hardware: (Mixed Bag of hurt!)

I really like the form factor of the device, I know it may be too large for some people but this device it meant to replace a phone and a MID. The power button is a little to recessed for my liking (since it is the only button that can turn the device on.) and the volume control doesn't have enough separation between the up and down button.

The HDMI port is limited to only the Gallery App and Youtube, I wish I could use it for presentations but that currently is not supported. Also with the v1.47 update you can at least select output resolutions.

I was really worried about the Capacitive buttons on the bottom, but they really work well and I rarely miss hitting the intended target.

The charging system on this device it wonky, for some reason when a charge cycle is completed it will not keep enough power to the device to keep it running on AC and will start to tap into the battery. I have started to turn the device off at night to avoid having a partially depleted battery in the morning (I only charge it at night.)

The LCD on this device is bright, crisp and has good contrast that is second only to the iPhone 4. I have the Epson Screen (The original I had was the Novatech) which I find is actually better than the Novatech screen as the Novatech had a purple tinge to it.

The Capacitive Glass on this device works almost as well as the iPhone screen and seems very scratch resistant. I had a problem with my original Evo (the top portion of the screen was non-responsive when placed on a table) even though the sensitivity issue was corrected with the latest 1.47 OTA, but my current unit doesn't have this grounding issue and as stated I am still on the 1.32 software.

Build Quality is where this device stinks! The first year graduate that designed the glass assembly on this device should be handed a pink slip, better luck next job and a size 12 boot in the ass. The glass is not sealed onto the device and is only held in place by double sided tape and is NOT continuous around the entire screen (it is broken up in places with gaps in between.) The end result is a three fold bag of hurt, Screen Lifting at the bottom of the screen(clearly not enough tape and cheap tape at that) this is causing light leakage below the capacitive buttons and light leaking onto the display above the buttons, and the last, a big problem is dust getting in between the glass and the LCD display (I thought this issue died with the iPaq 3630!) My first unit had some dust above the capacitive buttons and a ton of dust in the upper left corner. This was after 29 days of careful usage and stored in the HTC leather case. This was the reason for my replacement on the 29th day (Original was a Hardware 002 Unit) and my replacement unit has some light leakage on the bottom of buttons but much more light leaking onto the display itself. I know that after 29 days of usage the dust will return.

Conclusion, I really like this device and I hope to G-d that HTC redesigns the glass assembly on this device as I will NOT recommend this device to my family, friend and enemies until this is corrected. Software and Firmware can be updated but the glass assembly can't magically be corrected with a software update. Even worse, HTC in the past has denied fixing items like this and claiming it is only a cosmetic issue and not entitled to replacement.

Last edited:

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
It seems like you had the raising glass problem.
I'm sorry to hear it.

Did you try to get a replacement?

Holsum

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
the screen lifting is a non issue get a cover and its fine. for light leakage, I guess if you have to find something to complain about, let that be it. You have to basically hole the phone at the most awkward angle possible to find it, then so be it.

good review overall though, its a phone, its cheap, and will be replaced in a year or less. For the product that it is, I think its amazing from what was even released 1 year ago.

docangle1

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
"the screen lifting is a non issue," Sounds like a comment Steve J. would make. :)

I can get past the light leakage on the bottom buttons and even to some degree the light leakage onto the screen itself, but NOT the Dust under the screen, it really does ruin an otherwise good phone.

Trust me, if my first two devices are any indication, the complaints will only get more vocal over time, by looking at the way the phone was assembled (pics from ifixit.com) I anticipate 100% of the phone will at some point have dust under the glass. I have looked at three display models (Live units, not dummies) (at Sprint and Radio Shack) and ALL three of them had dust in the upper left corner. It is not easy to see if you are indoors and the unit is on unless you look close at the screen but take the device outdoors and keep it off and you will see all the specs light up. By the time I exchanged my first unit (again after 29 days) I had a severe amount of dust in the upper left corner that started to rain down the entire device.

I don't buy the its cheap part, these phone are not any cheaper than any other device in its class, Apple has been making Capacitive Touch Screen since invention, and while Apple has had it share of issues(reception on the iPhone 4), dust under the screen is an exception and not the norm for them, they have taken great strides to seal there screens, even the iPad which uses a similar build technique to the Evo (Obviously on a much larger scale and aluminum body) has a rubber gasket/sealant around the edge of the glass to prevent dust. The evo just has double sided tape (on the bottom of the glass) and nothing on the edge between the plastic and the glass to prevent dust from getting into the device.

I would even go so far as to warn anyone against the use of any wet type application (Zagg or Phantom Skinz) screen protectors unless you are extremely careful to keep water from the edge of the glass (it will just pour into the device) or you risk water damage to your device which obviously will not be covered under warranty.

Again, I don' want everyone to think I am hating on this device, I really do like it and I am not going to get rid of it(I have TEP and will just play the exchange game when the dust gets too bad), I just can't believe that this type of assembly made it through QC, and as a result I can't recommend this device to anyone until the issue is fixed.

Last edited:

Holsum

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I can get past the light leakage on the bottom buttons and even to some degree the light leakage onto the screen itself, but NOT the Dust under the screen, it really does ruin an otherwise good phone.

Trust me, if my first two devices are any indication, the complaints will only get more vocal over time, by looking at the way the phone was assembled (pics from ifixit.com) I anticipate 100% of the phone will at some point have dust under the glass. I have looked at three display models (Live units, not dummies) (at Sprint and Radio Shack) and ALL three of them had dust in the upper left corner. It is not easy to see if you are indoors and the unit is on unless you look close at the screen but take the device outdoors and keep it off and you will see all the specs light up. By the time I exchanged my first unit (again after 29 days) I had a severe amount of dust in the upper left corner that started to rain down the entire device.

I don't buy the its cheap part, these phone are not any cheaper than any other device in its class, Apple has been making Capacitive Touch Screen since invention, and while Apple has had it share of issues(reception on the iPhone 4), dust under the screen is an exception and not the norm for them, they have taken great strides to seal there screens, even the iPad which uses a similar build technique to the Evo (Obviously on a much larger scale and aluminum body) has a rubber gasket/sealant around the edge of the glass to prevent dust. The evo just has double sided tape (on the bottom of the glass) and nothing on the edge between the plastic and the glass to prevent dust from getting into the device.

I would even go so far as to warn anyone against the use of any wet type application (Zagg or Phantom Skinz) screen protectors unless you are extremely careful to keep water from the edge of the glass (it will just pour into the device) or you risk water damage to your device which obviously will not be covered under warranty.

Again, I don' want everyone to think I am hating on this device, I really do like it and I am not going to get rid of it(I have TEP and will just play the exchange game when the dust gets too bad), I just can't believe that this type of assembly made it through QC, and as a result I can't recommend this device to anyone until the issue is fixed.

I have seen at least 30 of these devices (EVO) and NONE have had the dust under the screen like you are describing.