Free USB tether?

werx

Banned
Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
I have been using PDAnet and now the trial ran out. It costs like $20 but I figure there has to be a free option. Can I root it or something and somehow get it to USB tether? I know there is a way to get the 3g wireless tether but I just need USB tethering for now. Any ideas?

werx

Banned
Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Is it a program I need to install or does it just automatically work if I go to tethering when I plugin my phone to my computer?

PWBarrett

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Uh, what's the deal? You just plug in, select Internet Sharing from the screen that pops up, and you're tethered. I guess you have to install the HTC Sync app on your PC, but that came with the phone.

JoshK

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Uh, what's the deal? You just plug in, select Internet Sharing from the screen that pops up, and you're tethered. I guess you have to install the HTC Sync app on your PC, but that came with the phone.

That's never worked on my phone, and I have tried numerous times over the last month. Am i doing something wrong?

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Wow, this thread needs answers.

Wifi tether means your phone becomes a wifi hotspot. Your laptop doesn't need to be connected to your phone via usb, but instead the wifi network it creates. It's easy as opening the wifi tether app and pressing one button. Then just go on your computer and connect to the right network.

Rooting will take some knowledge, especially if you installed the latest update. However, after root you can do free wifi tether.
But there's another option:
If you're patient, you can wait for an easy half-root method by unrEVOked. This simple root method semi-roots your phone with one tap. It allows you to get superuser permissions (not flash roms and all that stuff though).

By doing that easy root method, you can get free wifi tether without having to do full root, which may be too painful.

Last edited:

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. I'm in Hell so I don't get 4G.
I think the "Share connection" option only works if you have it enabled from Sprint. That's the $30/month fee.
It can work on 3g/4g as far as I know.

Again, like I said on page 1... there's a way to get free tethering... This thread has so many misunderstandings and just plain out wrong answers.

werx

Banned
Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
That's the thing is I don't pay the $30 month bullcrap charge. How do you do USB tethering NOT WIFI tethering? Any free programs cuz PDANET is pissing me off with 50 ads a second

digmys

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I think the "Share connection" option only works if you have it enabled from Sprint. That's the $30/month fee.
It can work on 3g/4g as far as I know.

Again, like I said on page 1... there's a way to get free tethering... This thread has so many misunderstandings and just plain out wrong answers.

No, the $30 a month charge is for WiFi tethering for up to 8 devices, NOT USB tethering which still works for free on 4G and some are reporting on 3G since the OTA update but i have not tested it yet.

Caitlyn McKenzie

May 17, 2010
Visit site
No, the $30 a month charge is for WiFi tethering for up to 8 devices, NOT USB tethering which still works for free on 4G and some are reporting on 3G since the OTA update but i have not tested it yet.

As mentioned on the other thread, 4G is a bug (or a trial if you want to call it that, but there's been multiple statements of it being a bug by Sprint), and the hotspot option is the only way to get a tethering service on your plan, period. Since the USB tether requires a tethering service on your plan, that is your only choice.

digmys

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
As mentioned on the other thread, 4G is a bug (or a trial if you want to call it that, but there's been multiple statements of it being a bug by Sprint), and the hotspot option is the only way to get a tethering service on your plan, period. Since the USB tether requires a tethering service on your plan, that is your only choice.

The Wifi 4G Tethering no longer works for me (trial expired) but the USB Internet Sharing, on 4G, STILL WORKS, I have not tested 3G. I have no tethering on my plan what so ever.

digmys

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I hate u 2. GTFO of my topic.

I hope that was not directed at me, since I was trying to tell you that USB Tethering works fine over 4G (for me atleast) and is free with the built in option. How is that not answering your question?

xorbe

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Wait, how does one use USB tether with root? I only know about root+WiFi tether and pdanet/easytether over USB.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
will someone with a rooted evo do something for me?

USB_tether - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

Take that file, rename it to something shorter, like usbt or something and put it in the tools folder of your sdk. Do a nandroid backup, then fire up terminal/command prompt

Type in the following:

Code:
cd c:\android-sdk-windows\tools
adb remount
adb push usbt.dat /system/xbin
adb shell
cd /system/xbin/
chmod 0755 usbt

Then fire up a terminal emulator on the phone or continue using adb shell
on the emulator, type su, accept the superuser permissions and then type usbt

check to see if this allows you to tether, best bet would be to unplug any connection you had, then follow all these steps.
I have been trying to work on this and putting this into an app, but I'm having some trouble learning/understanding java/dalvik and what I can and cannot do. If any developers out there feels like letting me pick their brain, I'd greatly appreciate it.
This works on the Hero, curious as to if it will work on the Evo, too. No need to select internet sharing, typing usbt would run the file. Thanks. Please PM me if you are a developer with decent knowledge of building Android apps.

Also, this is just for Windows and Linux, does not work with Mac due to a Mac permission issue.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power