1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Phone making calls on its own?

Twice now I have found out that my phone has been calling people without me doing it (or I don't think I did). I usually remember to turn off the screen when I am done using it.
    Has anyone else had this problem? Or did I really just forget to turn the screen off.

Overall I find the "phone" button the screen to be very sensitive and I often get into that when I am trying to do something else. Is there anyway to do something about this???

99% of problems are caused by user error.

stop blaming the phone. my guess is you are pocket dialing.

good luck.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    99% of problems are caused by user error.

stop blaming the phone. my guess is you are pocket dialing.

good luck.
    But it can only "pocket dial" if I forget to turn off the screen right? As long as I press the top button and get a black screen, there is no way it can dial on its own.

are you a drinker? perhaps you're drunk dialing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    are you a drinker? perhaps you're drunk dialing.
    ^^ LMAO!

P.S. I hope I'm not doing that too

Who ya gonna call? Ghost buster

Quote Originally Posted by jnadelman View Post
    Twice now I have found out that my phone has been calling people without me doing it (or I don't think I did). I usually remember to turn off the screen when I am done using it.
    Has anyone else had this problem? Or did I really just forget to turn the screen off.

Overall I find the "phone" button the screen to be very sensitive and I often get into that when I am trying to do something else. Is there anyway to do something about this???
    There could be another explaination.. well several.

1) Even if the screen-lock is on.. it could unlock itself if you use a 3rd party lock system. I remember one ("Lockbot" I think) which would unlock just by pressing the home button. That could cause your phone to pocket-dial easily.

2) Does it only happen when it's in your Pocket/Purse? If you leave it on a flat surface overnight.. does it dial? If so , it is most likely a 3rd party app you installed... some apps CAN and DO call phone numbers. I remember reading a few months ago (Way before I had android myself) that some app was being used as a relay for people to make international calls through other peoples phones. Check your phone records to see WHO it was calling.. if it was always the same phone number and that number isn't a 'quickly accessable' phone number (such as a favorite or shortcut) then I'd start looking at all the apps you installed.

My personal guess is that it's #1 above.. but stranger things have happened.

Why do you think it is dialing on its own?
    Are people calling you or asking you why you are calling them and not answering?

Reason I ask this is becuse I went to hit phone the one day to call someone and pull from contacts and it looked funny with a whole bunch of people listed I didnt call.
    I didnt realize to look closer to actually look and see if there was an arrow showing incoming or outgoing or none at all.
    The ones I really called showed the green outgoing arrow and the ones that called me showed the incoming arrow and the ones I did that just felt like listing, had no arrow.

Hope that makes some kind of sense.

My wife has a Palm Pre and last week it started dialing itself. This weekend it got so bad that I could pull the battery, reset it, and turn it back on and set it on the table and within about 5 minutes the screen would come on, contacts open, scroll down and select a name and dial it.

It is like a bad horror movie watching this phone in the dark!!

She is now waiting for her replacement to come in at the Sprint store.

Quote Originally Posted by bdmridgback View Post
    My wife has a Palm Pre and last week it started dialing itself. This weekend it got so bad that I could pull the battery, reset it, and turn it back on and set it on the table and within about 5 minutes the screen would come on, contacts open, scroll down and select a name and dial it.

It is like a bad horror movie watching this phone in the dark!!

She is now waiting for her replacement to come in at the Sprint store.
    Wow, is there such a thing as a Pre phone virus?

Quote Originally Posted by xorbe View Post
    Wow, is there such a thing as a Pre phone virus?
    no just buggy software and bad hardware.

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

I'm not sure that it's possible to pocket dial unless you've downloaded an app that overrides the lock screen. If that's the case, there is an app called "call confirm" that could help. If you select a contact, a window pops up and asks you to confirm that you want to call the person. I got it because I was afraid of accidentally calling someone when trying to scroll down my contact list.

I have never had this happen to my Evo but my girlfriend has been complaining about the phone dialing out from her purse. She always uses the screen lock. Then just yesterday, my Dad told me he was having the same issue with the phone auto dialing people.

Default Re: Phone making calls on its own?

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted the OP to know they are not alone. I have a Photon, but the same thing has happened...

Quote Originally Posted by KahneFan View Post
    My phone was plugged in and on my counter all night last night. When I was leaving my house this morning I received a call (from a customer of mine), saying he noticed he missed several calls from me this morning... (at the time) 2 and 3 hours ago. Well, 2 and 3 hours ago - I WAS SLEEPING. My whole house was sleeping. So, I looked at my call log and sure enough, my phone called 3 different people multiple times last night. Ummmm... WTH? Take a look at the attached and notice the screen shot time, then the referred to call times.

Click to view quoted image

mine tends to do think when im drunk

Yeah, has to either be a faulty app or a bad app. It is hard to imagine accidentally hitting dial yourself when it requires a heat source against the surface.