Contest: Win one of 10 cases from Seidio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
It's Android contest time, boys and girls, and the folks at Seidio are offering up a whopping 10 cases for the Evo 4G. We're giving away five from the Innocase Active line and five from the Innocase Rugged line.

To win, all you have to do is post in this thread about a horror story or near miss in which a case could have saved your Evo. Contest will run through 5 p.m. EDT Sunday, at which time we'll pick the winners.

Oh, and if you do win, we want to see your phone clad in the case, so get ready to snap a pic or two and post back here.

Good luck!

Last edited:

wormdood

Apr 20, 2010
blog.mattkurio.com
My driveway is on a steep incline. The other day, while helping my 2 year old out of the car, my naked EVO slipped from my hands. Luckily, I was able to barely save it with a heroic catch. I have a Palm Pre at home that I was not so lucky with. It fell and scattered its way 10 feet down the driveway. Too bad didn't have a Seidio case for it. Concrete + smartphone = not pretty.

s15274n

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I JUST got my EVO yesterday (Best Buy was kind enough to sell me a white one early thanks to my pleading). I was amazed by the phone and the screen. This is the best phone I have ever owned and my first sense UI android (amazed by it).

Well, not more than 3 hours after my new treasure and countless colleagues drooling over it I go to the bathroom at work.... I wanted to play with the phone myself and as I whip it out (the phone) it catches my pocket and falls to the hard tile floor. My heart stopped... the white case popped off but the phone held up perfectly.

This made it very obvious to me (day 1) that I need a case. I know SEIDIO is absolute quality so I hope that I am able to wear their case proudly on my new Evo!

Thank you!! (AC and Seidio)

rbgrules

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Siren

While I was visiting my parents I had my phone out to check my e-mail. It was very quiet and then suddenly a fire engine wizzed by turning on their siren. It caused me to jump and throw my phone up in the air. My heart stopped when it him the ground, but luckily only suffered minor damage. A tiny bit of the side casing chipped exposing some red.

cowboys2000

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Love my New EVO

First, why take the phone out in the bathroom?

Anyway, it rains daily in in Houston and as I was walking to my car under the "covered" walkway, raindrops are hitting my screen. In my quest to protect my phone, it slips out my hand (I have the Zagg full body protection) and I dropped everything else to save my EVO from falling into a puddle of water.

akodoreign

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I already have several nicks around the edges of my phone. Our kitchen table is our living room (mainly cause we just do not have a lot of room) and It often gets knocked off the table by the kids or the cats. (have 3 of each)

Having the case very well may save my phone :)

cordodor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Day 1: got my evo activated and put it in my pocket. someone called so i went to pull it out of my jean pocket, but i didn't yet know how to grab a hold of it. It slipped out of my fingers. i tried to stick my foot out to soften the blow of the ground, but instead I kicked it into a door. It left a nice white scuff from the door on my evo. day 1. -sigh-

gdubmedia

Dec 14, 2009
www.g6music.net
I was at an important web design meeting with my designers, and was showing them the business I can get done without my computer on my Evo. We were on the patio, and a woman walked through to a table with her dog. The dog jumped up on me, and it's head pushed into my hands (which would have been fine, had I not been holding my new Evo).

The phone went flying out of my hands and landed on the table top behind me(thank god it wasn't concrete). I immediately went for my phone, which had a couple scuffs on the back underneath the camera lens (the lens was the fine, as was the screen. Thanks god for Zaggs.)

I realized, at that moment, this would be the first phone I got a case for.

scrubcst

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I work in a surgery center as a scrub tech and central tech, and right beside where i clean the trays there is a rather large hopper. (on a slow day) i put up my EVO on the shelf above it (on its stand) to listen to pandora as i clean the instruments. I then raise my hand knock the evo off of its stand and off the shelf as it spirals down towards the hopper and I, with the reflex of a cat, deflect it from its straight path and have it hit the floor rather than the water. LUCKILY it is a durable phone with some scratches, but a case would make it a holy grail for others to only dream about. hence my need for a SEIDIO case. because bloody water and touchscreens do not go hand in hand.

:)

slvdc1

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
So on Sunday the 4th I was spending time on the lake. I was standing on the concrete launch taking pictures when a friend brushed by me and bumped my elbow....split second later my Evo was in the air...I dove (well....reached out) for it and *luckily* caught it between my fingers inches from the wet concrete below my feet...PHEW. Actually have been looking all week at different cases and the Seido's are pretty great.

ryan9102

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
not too long ago but before i had my evo i had a flip phone on a holster on my belt and i was on a boom lift 30' above the ground installing lights on the side of a building i had bumped into the rail my phone came unclipped and fell 30' straight to the ground i don't want anything like this happening to my evo so im more careful now but being in construction that rugged case sure would come in handy

bassmanxu

May 7, 2010
Visit site
You would think that since this has happened to me before I might learn, but last night, got back from the bar, hopped out of the taxi cab, decided I HAD to get my phone out of my pocket ASAP (not sure why the sense of urgency), and off it goes like a rocket, plummeting toward the ground. I saw it all pan out before me in blurry (slightly) slow motion - phone hits the ground, body glove case pops off and cracks. The phone only has one scratch (somehow...) but now I am super paranoid about it.....

Thanks for the entry, AC! I'd love that Seidio case!!! It could handle my phone-crashing ways!!

cruddytoast

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Case me up

I got my phone on launch day, and ever since everyone at my work has been ogling it. At least 3 times per day I get a "can I check out your phone?" and then of course there are a lot of repeat requests. This is only funnier because almost everyone I work with owns an iPhone and they are so impressed. Needless to say my phone is at high risk to a good amount of jealous "accidents" and has already had a few close calls where it seems to magically tumble out of the viewers hand. A case would from Seidio would provide me some much needed assurance when passing my phone around.

Thanks!

NovaFox238

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Hah funny this contest is about making a story for this reason:

The other day I drove to the Sprint Store, to get a replacement Evo. I was early, so Sprint wasnt open yet, so I decided to go to Starbucks, which was right next to it. I went to get my coffee so I set my Evo (naked) on the counter-top in which they serve the drinks. I grabbed my drink, and the bottom of the cup HIT my Evo nearly 1/2 off the counter! I WAS IN SHOCK that it didnt fall! THat was the first close call. The 2nd, I had barely got my replacement Evo, and started playing around with it a lot. Driving with it in my lap, I nearly forgot it was there, and when I got home I was about to step out of the car when I stepped one foot out, I realized it was still ony my lap! It started to slide off my leg but cought it JUST in time. 2 too many close calls in one day if you ask me. D:

keviny47

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
the first day i got my evo, wow. i wasnt accustomed to having such a big phone, and i spin my phone with one contact point in the middle of the top and bottom. well, i failed miserably, and the phone slipped out of my hands. i instinctively tried to catch it, but i ended up hitting it higher up in the air, and it fell 4 feet to the ground. what a day!

JayKC

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I baby my EVO, but the other day I was pulling it out of my pocket and it slipped. It went tumbling down and I thought it was a goner until it missed the concrete and hit the soft grass instead. It was a huge relief, but I realized it needed some protection.

So I grabbed a cheap HTC silicone case from Sprint for the time being. I was actually going to buy the Seidio case for extra protection based on the great reviews I've read about it.

Nisty713

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Shower

So I was rushed out the shower by my gtalk notifications going off from the constant chattering of #TeamEvo & #TeamAndroid. I keep my phone on a small table so I can easily poke my head out to see who is video calling or regular calling me.
When I got out of the shower, dried off, got my things together, picked up the phone, I NEARLY dropped my phone. My hands were still slippery & I was tossing my phone around like it was a hot potato before I gained control. As I sat there staring at my phone, waiting for my heart to stop beating out of my chest, I immediately thought...I need to get a case! What if it fell??!!! My world would have been over, there would have been no reason to live (sarcasism, but still). At least if it fell, it would have been cushioned & no damage would have been done.
Since that experience, I have learned my lesson & keep my phone in my room on my bed where it's safe & surrounded by pillows. But what about when it's out in the world...omg there's pavement out there & sharp corners!! oooo the horror!!!!!!!!

kpolacek

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
I was using the uber-convenient kickstand to watch some video... when the table shook and poor little EVO when tumbling down towards the cement ground. He's ok. I caught him in time. But a case would sure help alleviate that sick stomach feeling you get when you see your phone accidentally crash to the ground.

Please pick me!

Thank you! :)

jdefalco

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Out in the front yard the other night, myself and 2 neighbors were talking. One neighbor had mentioned he was in the market for a new phone and wanted to know what we recommended. Well the other neighbor proudly whipped out his iPhone and was going on and on about what it could do. Well I let him finish and then I decided to get the beast out of my pocket and show him a real phone. As I was taking it out, it caught on my shorts and fell to the ground. Of course it hit one of the few bare spots in the yard and had no grass to protect it. The iphone guy was laughing his butt off as I cringed when I reached down to pick it up. Luckily it did not fall on the face (zagg shield anyway), but there were some scratches on the sides. A new Sedio is just what the doctor ordered, for next time I may not be so lucky. Oh, and after showing my neighbor the EVO and how it blew iphone away, he was very impressed. As a matter of fact, he just texted me from his new EVO (white) that he picked up. :cool:

Last edited:

gksmithlcw

Software Engineer
Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I haven't had any near-misses with my Evo YET, but my Treo 800w was marred the day I got it by leaping out of a windshield mount when I hit a bump in my car.

The Treo Pro I purchased after that IMMEDIATELY got an Innocase II and accompanying holster and I couldn't be happier with its condition after a year of hard use.

I hope to get a case on my Evo BEFORE it takes a fall... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.