Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default White Evo.....How about Red Two-Tone?

Well I was bored the other day when I noticed a tiny bit of red showing on the backside of my EVO (from where it took a little fall). So I thought it would look pretty cool if I took a razor blade to the outside edge and scrape away the black. It actually came out much better than I thought it would! What do ya guys think?

p.s Sorry for the bad photo quality....it was taken with my roommates Iphone 3gs

Thanked by 3:

Very nice!

Global Posts
    1,402 Global Posts
    ROM
    Various

That looks badass dude. Might have to do that to mine.
    </awesome>

ROM
    Stock Android 4.0.4

Can I send you mine to have this mod??

ooooo nice..maybe they should have made this EVO instead of the White one lol

Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    ROM
    Decks GB 1.3d

That's really nice. I wonder if they'd consider paint scraping a void of the warranty.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

haha that's what I'm saying!

Global Posts
    1,402 Global Posts
    ROM
    Various

Did it damage the plastic underneath due to the razor blade? I am guessing this would work with the white one also.
    </awesome>
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

You can't tell that its scraped just by looking at it, but if you look up real close then ya it was scraped with a razor blade ha. But thats the risk i took, and it came out much better than I thought and IMO it looks freakin' awesome.....New Evo Trend ha

Global Posts
    1,402 Global Posts
    ROM
    Various

I wonder if there is anyway to smooth it out. Perhaps a coat of paint or lacquer (?) would help.
    </awesome>

Global Posts
    400 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/CyanogenMod7

Is it colored plastic or just paint? If paint you might be able to tape it off and use some type of paint thinner?
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

No actually it seems as though all the plastic is red and HTC just painted over it

Global Posts
    1,402 Global Posts
    ROM
    Various

Quote Originally Posted by j.howe3887 View Post
    No actually it seems as though all the plastic is red and HTC just painted over it
    Do you know if the red plastic is also paint? If you use paint thinner on the black part to expose the red, you might eat away at the red as well.

If the red is indeed not painted on, I will pick up a white Evo put a black back on and remove the white border. Badass!
    </awesome>

sorry but looks bad, white looks way better in my opinion
    Last edited by Jeremy Sikora; 07-09-2010 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Cleaned it up...

A free mod, and it looks cool? Those are the best kind! To smooth some of the scratches, maybe try some 2000 or 3000 grit sandpaper (carefully of course!).

Dude... looks awesome. You are a brave man taking a razor to your Evo... lol. I think there has to be a better way to do that but it looks bad ***.. HTC shouldn't have painted it!!

ROM
    AOKP - Build 36

I agree with Parnelli98. Maybe try a really super-fine sandpaper like what's used in colorsanding between coats on automotive paint jobs. Use some of the 3M yellow (water borne special) masking tape so it doesn't leave any residue, then sand carefully!

That really does look good.

That is pretty awesome!

wow, that looks amazing. great job.
    "Me, Grimlock, no bozo. Me king!"

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

Looks great!

DO NOT GO ANYWHERE NEAR THE PHONE WITH PAINT THINNER.

IT IS DANGEROUS !!!!!!!!! no matter HOW CAREFUL you are it flows thinner than water. If it gets ANYWHERE near your lcd screen you are done for.

Trust me. I have an extremely steady hand and made this mistake with a laptop before.

If you are going to strip paint or paint.. DISASSEMBLE THE PHONE and do it away from the circuitry
    HTC Evo Cyanogen CM6

Default Re: White Evo.....How about Red Two-Tone?

Wow. I don't have the guts to do that lol.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Tha does look pretty sweet....Not sure if I'm brave enough to try it on mine though. I will keep it in mind if I ever get a nasty scratch though!!

I like it. NICE!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast