Trying to decide which phone is better Evo or the Samsung Epic?

hawaiijedi

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
Hi guys Im currently using a palm pre on sprint and am eligible for upgrade. I like the Evo and the Epic and could use some input as to waht you guys think is the superior phone and why. Your help is appreciated!!;)

jeffreykime

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
If you like a physical keyboard get the epic. If you like the touch screen input method get the evo.

I personally prefer the touch screen and love the evo.

JERAVICIOUS

May 16, 2010
Visit site
As of right now, we will not know until the Epic comes out. Theoretically, you can weight out the pros of the epic compared to the cons of the EVO. I myself, feel that the Epic will be a great device, but I feel the EVO fits my needs.

If you're a physical keyboard person, I myself was a physical keyboard person as well (had a palm pre), then the Epic would be more enticing since the EVO does not have one. However, if you experience skype, you may not miss your physical keyboard.

Real estate, the EVO has .3" more than the Epic. May not seem as much but compare your palm pre to an iphone screen or to the nexus one. The EVO and Epic share the same resolution, but it's up to you whether you would like a super amoled screen or tft lcd. I feel the EVO's screen is fine and I can view it out in the sun with no problem.

The Epic's humming bird /VR chip and gpu will out perform the EVO in 3d gaming. I'm not sure how much gaming you will do, but I'm not a dedicated gamer on a mobile device. That's what my 360 is for. I like EVO's UI, Sense, better than Samsung's touch wiz.To me Sense UI is much smoother and has a better presentation to it.

Lastly, the EVO's cameras (front & back) are of a higher MP count (1.3 & 8 MP). I do a lot of photography and when I do not have my good camera with me, I'd like a somewhat good camera to take photos of cool looking sceneries or if I am at a function and I wanna capture a moment in time. I know the EVO's front cam is only 1.3mp but it beats vga resolution anytime. And the kickstand. This is not a gimmick that some people tell me. It comes in handy when viewing media and you can now rest your hands and not hold your phone to view movies, pictures, etc.

These are a few reasons to look into. I say test out both phones and see what fits you. Good luck!

adebo

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I had my hands on an Epic last week and the physical keyboard is very wide and I found it difficult to type on. The Epic does have Swype and a virtual keyboard so you probably won't even use the physical keyboard. The screen is gorgeous and the phone is very responsive. As you have probably already seen it is slightly thicker than the EVO. Overall it is a very nice phone and it will come down to personal preference.

RayStinkle

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty sure the Samsung epic is better. Doesn't it have a superior CPU and hardware accelerated graphics? As well as a super amoled screen? Those right there put it over the evo easily in terms of raw specs.

adebo

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I can't give you a date as I did not get one either. My guess would be next month. I was most impressed with the responsiveness of the phone. Scrolling and everything was extremely smooth. The screen is a Super AMOLED and it is beautiful. The screen is slightly smaller then the EVO but the quality is there. As far as raw specs I think they are pretty close as the EVO wins some while the Epic wins others. They are both great phones and I am happy to see them both on Sprint!

folarino

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
No point in spec comparisons.

When it is out, go to a store and try to perform the functions you regularly use on your current phone with the EVO and Epic.

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
HIGH end 3d games - Epic.
Keyboard - Evo, I'd prefer. After getting used to software keyboards, hardware keyboards feel like a step back. I came from a Pre and love the software keyboard on the Evo. There are many to choose from as well.
Form Factor - Evo.
Screen - I'd prefer Epic... but Novatec Evo's are nice.
Sense or IPhone Wannabe - Evo? Okay... Sense is kind of annoying, but provides SOME good widgets like the internet toggles and whatnot. However, Samsung's app drawer copies cues from the iphone, which to me is worse.

I've heard things about Samsung reliability.
HTC's been kind of slow with the updates, but they said they're rolling out 2.2 on all devices by end of December. Samsung said that their S series (that includes Epic) will get the update, but hasn't said a date.
So believe what you may...
HTC isn't that bad, I've sent them e-mails about the 30fps cap and I've gotten responses back, 3 times now.

If high high end 3d games are not that important to you, then I suggest getting the Evo. If you're intensive media user, then the Samsung Galaxy might be better. It does have a better processor imo...
Right now you should wait and see what HTC does about the 30fps cap, cause it does cuase some touch input lag that can make the Evo seem slower than the Epic. However, the Incredible/N1 are super fast in regular use so if the 30fps cap gets fixed, go Evo.

Last edited:

techgeek32#WN

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
If you sync Calender and Contacts with Microsoft Outlook the Epic will not work. Syncing is only available on Android devices made by HTC with Sense UI. If you use Gmail you will be fine with the Epic. I have lost too many appointments and contacts through Gmail, so I prefer to use HTC Sync with the EVO. It has been rock solid. The Epic is also more plasticky and doesn't feel as substantial in the hand.

vtective

May 17, 2010
Visit site
If you sync Calender and Contacts with Microsoft Outlook the Epic will not work. Syncing is only available on Android devices made by HTC with Sense UI.

Whoa! Seriously? So the only thing you can sync via Microsoft Exchange is e-mail?

I took my EVO back after the software update bricked it and no one could offer a replacement or an ETA other than "more than a couple of weeks." But... the idea that it has crippled Exchange sync really causes some major doubts for me.

coolqf

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Whoa! Seriously? So the only thing you can sync via Microsoft Exchange is e-mail?

I took my EVO back after the software update bricked it and no one could offer a replacement or an ETA other than "more than a couple of weeks." But... the idea that it has crippled Exchange sync really causes some major doubts for me.

He's referring to MS Outlook and not MS Exchange. You're fine.

coolqf

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Hi guys Im currently using a palm pre on sprint and am eligible for upgrade. I like the Evo and the Epic and could use some input as to waht you guys think is the superior phone and why. Your help is appreciated!!;)

Hey hawaiijedi,

I'm in the same boat as you. Currently on the Pre and considering between the EVO and EPIC. Here's my reasons for leaning towards the EVO:

HTC brand - HTC has been in the business of making business grade devices longer than Samsung. HTC is also known for better quality and post-release support for their software.

Movable parts - After owning devices with sliding keyboards, I've decided to go with a virtual keyboard. Movable parts tend to wear out, break, or be less responsive over time.

Dimensions - HTC is actually ever so slightly smaller. Crazy!

4.3" screen - If the phone's roughly the same size, I'm just gonna go with the bigger screen

Rooting - The developer community are true gurus are porting the best from multiple HTC devices into one device. I LOVE this! So, when the Sense UI gets updated some where else, I'm sure we'll see it on the EVO.

Epic 4G turn offs:

Samsung - Historically, they just don't make business grade phones

Experience - Samsung Moment is problematic, had a Samsung Instinct.... Very annoying phone, and had a Samsung M900, talk about some annoying software bugs.

Things like GPU I'm not interested in since I don't game on my phone, ever.

I hope this info helps you with your decision making!

vtective

May 17, 2010
Visit site
At this point, I am really leaning toward the Samsung Epic. I had the HTC EVO for a couple of weeks, and I really liked HTC Sense. It realy made it an easy transition from my Pre to Android.

Aside from the problems I had with the update bricking my EVO, there were a few other flaws. I found it to be laggy with input every now and then. I am used to that with my Pre, but did not expect it on a Snapdragon powered phone.

I also found the screen to be nice and large, but lacking in quality. Say what you will about the Pre's hardware, but the screen is quite impressive. Colors and wallpapers that would look great on that screen looked grainy and had color banding on the EVO. The screens shortcomings were extremely apparent when compared to the HTC Incredible (I wish Sprint offered a similar sized version of that phone...)

This link has a Galaxy S next to the EVO 4G and the color quality just looks amazing. Take a look at about 3:15 and compare the YouTube app appearance.

This video also points out the Galaxy S's smoothness compared to the EVO.

On the other hand, I will miss the solid feeling and polished looking hardware that HTC builds. Also, TouchWiz 3.0 looks cheesy and lacks the cohesiveness that HTC Sense exudes.

Last edited:

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I don't think you can go wrong with either device. I have had Samsung products and were very impressed with them. But I have had HTC smartphone too and have been equally impressed. I went with the EVO, because I like the screen and the hardware is amazing. The Epic is an attractive device, but I didn't want a physical keyboard that slides horizontally. I would have preferred a vertical slider like the Pre. Gaming on the EVO is fine. I don't see any issues. The processor is amazing to. I haven't seen any hiccups yet. Like I said, I don't think that you can go wrong with either, but I would choose the EVO.

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site

It looks like he's using an Evo with an Epson screen that makes things look washed out and a little "cold" on the colors.
The Novatec screens have "warmer" colors.

However, the screen on the Epic is undeniably good, so I can't compare... but I would like a Novatec comparison as well.

The smoothness is because of the 30fps cap on the Evo. I suggest waiting it out to see what action HTC takes.
Or if you're definitely rooting your phone, there have been fixes for both Novatec and Epson screens on the 30fps cap issue, so your phone can run as smoothly as an N1, Inc, DroidX, etc.

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I say go epic. And this is coming from an evo owner. The qualcomm snapdragon sucks. For a chip that runs at 1ghz, it should really have much more performance capability. The samsung hummingbird will easily outperform the processor in the evo. It has a better screen, you can actually play 3d games comfortably on the epic (unlike evo), and you have the option of several keyboards including a hardware keyboard. The 5mp camera will be just fine I think. The evo camera is not that great when putting the pictures on a larger screen...you can see a lot of grains. The only thing that kept me from returning this evo was Sense. I really like htc's android skin. It's great. Oh and the screen size is awesome.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois