Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    406 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

Default Roaming Toggle Widget

It would be nice to have a roaming widget to start and stop roaming at will.

I totally agree that would help with poor reception and battery life

I agree. I would LOVE this...but it would require a root, I believe...

+1 here as well.

It was nice forcing roam on my Pre at work. I work in radio and my signal gets jacked out, but leaving it in roam (Alltel) worked out nicely

Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock Android 4.0.4

Is a puzzling omission on the Evo (Android in general?). Always had this option on other phones, never had to use it as I enjoy a strong Sprint signal in my home area.

Maybe we should petition Google for this, is a very important feature. If you are in a low signal area, your radio keeps hunting for a better signal and consumes more power while doing so. Having the option allows you to force the radio to use a stronger roaming signal if available in your area saving you battery.

Global Posts
    324 Global Posts

Sprint would never go for this if they can control it. Sprint has to pay roaming charges to other companies every time we are roaming, which is why the feature was removed from older phones, I agree it would be very nice to have, especially since i have a weak sprint signal at my house and our phones constantly bounce back and fourth from sprint to vzw. What really bothers me is that our phones will hold on to zero bars of sprint service which is basically unusable for phone calls before they will start to roam, i would like to see a phone that starts to look for a roaming signal at anything below two bars. I think that would really cut down on dropped calls for sprint. But as far as a force roam option without a root, i dont see it happening...

but can you turn off roaming?

Global Posts
    324 Global Posts

Yes, under settings-wireless and networks-mobile networks-roaming. Its a good way to save battery.

Sprint will never add this feature back into their phones. That is why I loved my Pre and HTC TP 2. There are easy hacks for this feature. My understanding is that even on an Android that has been rooted this feature is not available yet. Sprint is trying to save money on roaming fees, Verizon too. I have found that my EVO switches pretty quickly to Roam when on Automatic, but I would still prefer to have the option to turn on Roam myself.

I wish I knew how to make widgets... I would so do this.
    The Pre could atleast allow no data during roaming... so data wouldn't be sent in and out during roaming... causing battery plunges all the time.

Default Re: Roaming Toggle Widget

That is why sprint begin to suck. They do not invest money into new towers, but restrict roaming anyway.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk