What are THE must have apps and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoryBantic

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
What apps would you tell a newbie that he/she must absolutely download?

I would heavily suggest Task Killer. I free's up used space and it can possible help out your battery life.

Holsum

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
What apps would you tell a newbie that he/she must absolutely download?

I would heavily suggest Task Killer. I free's up used space and it can possible help out your battery life.

I on the other hand would NEVER recommend a task killer to anyone because you are doing more harm to your phone then good.

I would recommend Mario wallpaper (because its awesome). beautiful widgets. and any bank app that works well with your bank.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I used Advanced Task Killer for awhile (the first 4 weeks) then removed it last week.

I have noticed no issues regarding battery life. Funny how the consensus on if it's necessary goes back and forth, but for now I am living without it with no problems.

As for must have apps, Shazam (or Soundhound), MP3 Downloader, Slacker Radio, Camera 360, Flixster, Layar, DirecTV app (YMMV), Weatherbug Elite, Dolphin HD or Skyfire browser, Setting Profiles. I would include Fring...but now without Skype it's useless.

And some other keyboard (like Swype or SlideIT...haven't personally tried out Swype...still waiting for the non-beta release)

Last edited:

solo1

May 31, 2010
Visit site
If you know what you're doing, you can use a task killer effectively.

Most people don't know what they are doing though ... I was new to android when I purchased my EVO on launch day and started using ATK ... ONLY because of the big debate ... I feel the only way you can EFFECTIVELY use it is by having a TRUE UNDERSTANDING of how the android system works ... WebOS and RIM and Symbian,and AppleOS all have these programs that run in the background but because ANDROID allows you to see them people get paranoid ... Most of us DO NOT have that true understanding and those that do have that understanding , don't ask if they should use the task killers or not ... So I feel if you have to ask if you should use a Task Killer thaan your answer would be NO.

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I got Gameboid! Flipping fun if you used to play back in the day and the controls you get used to quickly.

-Handcent SMS
-Analog Clock Collection (has clocks that are good for different backgrounds ... good if you're sick of HTC widgets/beautiful widgets)
-Led LIght
-AudioManager (great to put a widget on the homescreen to control all sounds)
-Shazam
-Pandora
-Ringdroid (make ringtones on the go)
-Uninstaller
-Astro File Manager

Some showoff apps:
-Google Earth
-Google Sky map

There are others, but they aren't necessarily must haves.

1SFG

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Would love to hear recommendations on a good MEMO/TO-DO product, although I'm still reading through all the threads and will likely run into some good rec's. Would also love to hear if any of you are storing secure data like passwords, and if so, which app you're using. I had SplashID on my PRE and am tempted to continue using it, though the reviews in the app market seem a bit low at first blush.

psych2l

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Would love to hear recommendations on a good MEMO/TO-DO product, although I'm still reading through all the threads and will likely run into some good rec's. Would also love to hear if any of you are storing secure data like passwords, and if so, which app you're using. I had SplashID on my PRE and am tempted to continue using it, though the reviews in the app market seem a bit low at first blush.

astrid, open source todo list

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
All the must have apps are in the apps forum. Check out the stickies there as well.

In regards to task killers, please see this thread. I just haven't had a chance to copy it over to the forum yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.