Can you Toggle Gmail chat on/off?

aspen_matthews

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Hi all, happy Monday (ugh). I was wondering..I remember when I first got my phone, one of the things I did to save battery was to shut off automatically logging in for Gmail chat. I still get regular email updates/sync for my Gmail, just not chat. Is there any way to toggle this so I can chat if I want to? Thanks :)

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
It is somewhat confusing which apps are which as Google drops 'Google' from some app names.

They drop it for Earth, Talk, Navigation, Goggles, and Voice, but then they leave it for Google Sky Maps and Google Translate.

bobvanjr

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I didn't even know this "Talk" app existed. I went into settings and had it not automatically sign me in yet when I open the app I appear signed in. If I'm not in the app is it using any resources? How do I shut it off?

azkevman

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I didn't even know this "Talk" app existed. I went into settings and had it not automatically sign me in yet when I open the app I appear signed in. If I'm not in the app is it using any resources? How do I shut it off?

The setting to turn off automatic sign in is somewhat confusing, as it is actually a setting to not allow the app to automatically sign you in upon re-start of the phone - without you taking action (such as opening the app). However it will always auto-sign you in when you open the 'Talk' app. I guess it assumes if you are opening the app, then you must want to be signed in.

To sign out make sure you choose Menu/More/Sign Out.
Simply closing the app will not sign you out.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar