Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Weird Issue with Sprint Nav...

So I was using Sprint Nav yesterday to find some restaurants. The results wouldn't let me navigate to them. It was as if tapping on the search results within the app would just pop up another screen showing the address information and a phone number. Anyone experience this?

I tried Google Nav which was better, but it's clunky and I don't know how to perform a new search. Also don't like how it takes over Google Maps.

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts

google nav is awesome. why would you bother with sprint nav anymore? to launch a new search just exit nav and hit menu again on google maps

Once you are at the phone number/Info screen press your menu button

Global Posts
    846 Global Posts

Default Re: Weird Issue with Sprint Nav...

Cause Sprint Nav is horrible. Google Nav is the way to go. Try it out!

Sent from my Evo 4G using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by acme64 View Post
    google nav is awesome. why would you bother with sprint nav anymore? to launch a new search just exit nav and hit menu again on google maps
    +1. Why carry Sprint bloatware??

Having used both, I was surprised to find that Sprint Navigation performed much better than Google Navigation.

1. In both apps you can search for an address you already know.
    But say you wanted to find a list of a certain kind of store near you e.g Pharmacy, post office, chinese food; you have the ability to search by category in Sprint Navigation.

2. You can use the 'speak destination/type destination' buttons in Google Navigation and instead of an address just say a category and you get a list of results in that category and their addresses that are close to you.
    However in Sprint Navigation, you get a list of results, their addresses, phone numbers and their approximate distance from your location in miles. This is extremely helpful when you don't know the area or recognize the addresses.

3. Additionally, in Sprint Navigation, you can search for categories in locations other than your current location.

4. I performed a test in my city.
    I searched for post office in Google Nav and it gave me a list of addresses I had no idea of. so I picked the first one and followed the directions. It led me to a driving range!

I went back to my original location, loaded Sprint Navigation and did a category search for Post Office. I got the address, phone number and miles for each one close to me. I picked one and it led me right to the post office.

As far as functionality and ease-of-use goes, Sprint Navigation is my nav app of choice on the EVO.

Quote Originally Posted by folarino View Post
    3. Additionally, in Sprint Navigation, you can search for categories in locations other than your current location.
    Eh? I do this all the time: Search for "pharmacies near San Francisco Airport", for example.
    Sprint EVO HW Rev 0002 Build 3.70.651.1
    Moto Xoom 3G/1GB

Global Posts
    924 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Honestly, I think some of these people who rag on Sprint Navigation have never used it. I find it to be more accurate than Google Nav, quicker to give you directions, can save favorites, can enter addresses in your computer to get them on your phone (have to wait for froyo for that to happen with google), has useful traffic, and more. I do use Google Nav from time to time but for real navigation, I'm sticking with Sprint.
    Kyo 6035 > Kyo 7135 > Palm 800W > HTC EVO 4G > HTC EVOLTE > HTC One (M8) + Nexus 9 + G Watch R

Global Posts
    846 Global Posts

Ive used Sprint Nav for a couple days to see how much better it is. It was slow and horrible IMO compared to Google Nav. And Google Nav is VERY accurate when it comes to ETA for your destinations. Thats the biggest reason on why I love it more than the Stock Sprint Nav.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

I also hate how long Sprint Navigation takes to load.

I would have to say that I use both for different things. For a longer trip, I use Sprint Navigation, and for shorter trips or within the city I traveled to, I use Google Nav. To each his own though, but I think longer travel works better on Sprints Telenav.

Quote Originally Posted by BazzBro View Post
    Ive used Sprint Nav for a couple days to see how much better it is. It was slow and horrible IMO compared to Google Nav. And Google Nav is VERY accurate when it comes to ETA for your destinations. Thats the biggest reason on why I love it more than the Stock Sprint Nav.
    Um, Sprint Nav has ETA as well.
    The only difference is that Google Nav shows ETA in terms of 'Time remaining until destination' while Sprint Nav gives you the actual estimated time of arrival. Both flunctuate based on your speed and traffic.

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts

when im driving and i need directions, i need something fast and easy i can operate with 1 hand. Sprint nav is NOT that app.