Evo not getting Gingerbread?

deaofly

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Well the evo is getting the Froyo update. That's good enough and think about it, with the 2ghz phones coming out at the end of the year, beginning next year, I think there might be a Evo 2 by next year that will support it.

IIJBII

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
How would anyone honestly know at this point? It is a rumor. Sorry not trying to sound harsh honestly currious how people would know.

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
The specs released for support of Gingerbread are not minimum requirements, they are suggested requirements. Evo meets those requirements with it's 1Ghz processor and other stuff.

The only thing I am really excited for gingerbread is the UI change. Android REALLY REALLY needs it.

Caitlyn McKenzie

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Gingerbread is still way in development. HTC hasn't, and will not announce anything until shortly before its release. Any rumors you've heard are just that, rumors, and not facts. Also, given how Google has talked about Gingerbread, we may not see it arrive for a while, since they want to increase the length of time between releases.

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
The specs released for support of Gingerbread are not minimum requirements, they are suggested requirements. Evo meets those requirements with it's 1Ghz processor and other stuff.

The only thing I am really excited for gingerbread is the UI change. Android REALLY REALLY needs it.

What's wrong with the UI? I love it

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
As an EVO user, I am really not concerned with it getting the Gingerbread update. I think that Froyo Qik be good enough for me and to be honest, I really don't need that. I have had my EVO for three weeks and have not found a glitch in the OS. It is extremely snappy and I really enjoy it. I have never had a smartphone that has performed this well. So, Froyo update is more than enough for me.

mycrownvic02#WN

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Lets be honest here, the os needs work. Better multi tasking like the pre, and it would be nice if it didnt randomly open up apps. Other than that, its ok.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Wow. Whomever started that rumor needs to be taken out to the woodshed. I'd close this thread, but I'd rather we bash these FUD-spreaders a little first.

mcduffer

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
By the time Gingerbread is out, the EVO will be old news and something will be better to take its place......just in time for the 1 yr upgrade.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
GINGERBREAD???? $HIT we are still probably 3 - 6 months away from Froyo and your talking about Gingerbread? By the time Gingerbread is out the people complaining will be looking at replacing their EVO.... WOW...

Lets get Froyo running first and then we can talk about the next step.... Heck even the Nexus One is probably 4 - 6 months away from getting Gingerbread.....

Brainerd

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
If Gingerbread does make the UI very attractive, then we may want phones without HTC's Sense. Sense does make the UI in 2.1 and 2.2 nicer (to most), but having a manufacturer's interface woven into Android greatly hinders the speedy implementation of firmware updates. My primary hope would be that Gingerbread would make the deeply integrated manufacturer's interfaces, like Sense, a thing of the past.

Perhaps this is a pipe dream as manufacturers want to have something that makes their phone more desirable. They may feel that form factors and equipment features may not be enough for them to make a distinction between their products and their competitor's products.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Lets be honest here, the os needs work. Better multi tasking like the pre, and it would be nice if it didnt randomly open up apps. Other than that, its ok.

that's if you like how the Palm Pre multitasked. I didn't really care for it all that much. I like the widgets instead of cards. I also like not having to worry about closing applications all the time. Maybe I'm lazy that way, but I would rather that my device manage the memory for me. I like the way android does things. That's why I bought an android device.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
If the UI gets better that would just mean that HTC wouldn't have to be so deeply entrenched in the OS to make it like it is. I like Sense (a lot) but if Google integrated some of that itself then updates would theoretically be faster.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
that's if you like how the Palm Pre multitasked. I didn't really care for it all that much. I like the widgets instead of cards. I also like not having to worry about closing applications all the time. Maybe I'm lazy that way, but I would rather that my device manage the memory for me. I like the way android does things. That's why I bought an android device.

+1 I played with the Pre and liked web os, but loving android even more.
To be fair, I never owned a webos device, just used them in the stores.

deparson

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
Current OS is amazing. To be honest, by the time 3.0 is released and starts to roll out it will be time for a new phone anyway.

Unless you plan on keeping the the Evo for 2 years why worry? Does anyone keep a phone for 2 years?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463