Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Mobile vs Desktop version of the browser

I'm kind if torn between using the mobile version of the broker and the full desktop version of the browser. Coming from a BlackBerry smartphone, I have been acclimated to using the mobile versions of websites. But now that I have the EVO, I like the fact that I can view full web pages. The mobile sites are definitely faster. It takes just several seconds for them to load. Some of the full websites (depending on the content) can still take a while to load. I like not having to deal with the advertisements on the pages of full sites too, but I have to admit that the full sites look amazing on the EVO. When Froyo is released and we have full flash support, I wonder what version I will prefer. Which version of the browser do you guys prefer?

Global Posts
    176 Global Posts

I'm used to full web sites. If I have a browser that will display a full site properly, that's how I want it displayed.

Global Posts
    463 Global Posts

Full browser for me as well

Full. Always hated mobile version

I do full because I had problems loading certain sites in mobile view.
    Once put to full, they load as they should.

Wont see this happen too often i assume, but Ive seen it with a few sites. Mostly financial and https sites

Global Posts
    176 Global Posts

news.cnet.com defaults to a mobile version.
    I get around it by going to "Full CNET site" link at the bottom, then tapping on the News link at the top of the page.

Quote Originally Posted by PM-Performance View Post
    I do full because I had problems loading certain sites in mobile view.
    Once put to full, they load as they should.

Wont see this happen too often i assume, but Ive seen it with a few sites. Mostly financial and https sites

I use the Desktop Agent in the browser, but I don't mind the mobile version of some pages.

If I'm looking up sports scores, the mobile version is a lot faster because there are fewer links to follow and less zooming. Nice when checking a quick score while at work. But in general, most sites I visit on my phone lose a little to much when going down to the mobile version.

It also helps that with the Evo, you can navigate most full sites without zooming at all. That may be troublesome for those that have failing vision, but for the person with average to slightly above average vision it's fine. As for ads, I don't really notice them these days. The ones that make you watch a 15 s commercial before you can continue are annoying, so are the ones that are placed in the middle of an article. But, I much prefer that over having to pay a few dollars each month to access some content at all.

I have been testing out Opera recently and I have found it to load full pages much faster. The only mobile pages I like are sports pages like ESPN and SI.

Still using Dolphin as my primary browser, but Opera might quickly replace it.

I like to use the full because most sites did a half *** job putting together thier mobile sites.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

I can't get the New York Times in full desktop mode. Anyone else have this issue?
    If I were never here, you would never know.

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dwaynewilliams View Post
    I can't get the New York Times in full desktop mode. Anyone else have this issue?
    ...Adultswim.com loads the mobile site in portrait view & full site in landscape view . I don't know why, but that's what it does...

Global Posts
    17 Global Posts

Full. Most of the sites that I'd actually prefer to view a Mobile version of have apps available (Facebook, YouTube, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by MAD WIL View Post
    ...Adultswim.com loads the mobile site in portrait view & full site in landscape view . I don't know why, but that's what it does...
    Seriously, what's up with that?

I also prefer full in most cases. If the mobile site is well-written, I usually don't mind it (Wikipedia pages come to mind, also The Onion if you visit every day). But in general, I like the full page that I can zoom in on and scroll myself. The way the Evo automatically wraps text to fit the screen zoom is fantastic for just this reason.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Some of the mobile pages have more functionality. For example, when I use the Google search to find a place, the mobile version automatically hives you the option to map it using Google maps. The full version gives you the option to get directions but they are written out instead of using Google map that leads to the navigation system.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Now that I have full flash support and had a chance to see what the full sites have to offer, I still prefer mobile sites. Better functionality.

Global Posts
    825 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I use mobile sites for banking and checking into flights and such but sometimes I switch to the full ones for other things. A well-designed mobile site is nice for getting to things quickly, no zooming, easier to click on links.
    Kyo 6035 > Kyo 7135 > Palm 800W > HTC EVO 4G > HTC EVOLTE > HTC One (M8) + EVO View 4G

Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7

I do a good mix of both. Most full sites I Ho to take longer to load and the pop up adds flash brought along can be annoying to deal with so I stick to mobile sites for forums.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Quote Originally Posted by Evo soul View Post
    I do a good mix of both. Most full sites I Ho to take longer to load and the pop up adds flash brought along can be annoying to deal with so I stick to mobile sites for forums.
    I agree with that. It takes maybe 3 to 5 seconds to load a mobile page where I have found that It sometimes can take up to 40+ seconds to load some full sites. Even though that is still way better than my blackberry, I think it is top long for on the go browsing. I use the mobile mode now and it makes a lit more sense. No zooming, or searching the page for content. And the advertising is minimal. Also, I have found that the mobile sites have increased functionality. Especially on the Google mobile site. It is a lot more intuitive.

Global Posts
    400 Global Posts
    ROM
    EVODeck

Quote Originally Posted by Holsum View Post
    I like to use the full because most sites did a half *** job putting together thier mobile sites.
    agree wholeheartedly.

Depends...some mobile sites are better than others.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

What's an example of a crappy mobile site? I need a reference.
    If I were never here, you would never know.

Quote Originally Posted by dwaynewilliams View Post
    What's an example of a crappy mobile site? I need a reference.
    Engadget Mobile.

Compared to the full website and the app.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    Engadget Mobile.

Compared to the full website and the app.
    Lol. You are right. That is quite terrible. You would think that they would be able to come up with something better than that.

ROM
    cyanogenmod =]

i hate mobile versions of sites as well. buttttt... if im on a sports or news blog... sometimes its best just to access the mobile site.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast