What is this Radio/Wimax thing?

lnong

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Can someone explain to me what this Radio/Wimax thing does, or is about?

Is it something that we already have on the EVO?
Is it something that was included in the lastest OTA Sprint update?
Is it something that needed to be "re-added" after rooting?
Is it something that's only useful/beneficial if we're using 4G (as supposed to 3G)?

My EVO was a stock phone with the lastest OTA udpate (1.47.651.1) until yesterday, when I decided to root it using the UnRevoked3 method. So, do I still have this Radio/Wimax thing or do I have to re-add it somehow??

EVO1Android

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site

My EVO was a stock phone with the lastest OTA udpate (1.47.651.1) until yesterday, when I decided to root it using the UnRevoked3 method. So, do I still have this Radio/Wimax thing or do I have to re-add it somehow??

I just rooted using unrEVOked3 and I have not seen anything about Radio/Wimax...:confused:

ArkAngel06

May 18, 2010
Visit site
WiMax = 4g....

UnRevoked broke 4g/WiMax when they released a patch that made it work again after the last update.

I guess maybe thats what he's talking about? Really, I have no idea.

TWC_SouthPhilly

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site

The Radio/WinMax "thing" is just that, a radio. It's a physical radio that is capable of sending and receiving data over a 4g network. Just like the 3g radio is capable of sending and receiving data over a 3g network.

Is it something that we already have on the EVO?
I would hope so.... one of the biggest selling points to the EVO is it's the first cellular phone to beable to use the 4g network.

Is it something that was included in the lastest OTA Sprint update?

No, it was there when you purchased your EVO.

Is it something that needed to be "re-added" after rooting?[QUOTE/]
Not unless you took apart your EVO.

Not sure how to answer this one....4g is faster at data transfering.

No, it's still there unless again you took it apart.

Now I have one question. How could you use UnRevoked3 to root your EVO when the latest update broke UnReVoked3's ability to root the EVO?

As far as I know the only way you can root your EVO now is using the ask or through using the flash exploit. http://www.androidcentral.com/flash-exploit-enables-root-1476511-evo-update

I think if your using UnRevoked3 to root it may just say your rooted when it's not really rooting.

Last edited:

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
WiMax = 4g....

UnRevoked broke 4g/WiMax when they released a patch that made it work again after the last update.

I guess maybe thats what he's talking about? Really, I have no idea.

Sorry, but this is wrong.
A quote from XDA:
There was a problem with the OTA update itself that broke 4G for some people, which HTC is and was responsible for. The only thing unrEVOked did was distribute said OTA update in pre-rooted form.

Besides that...

Wiimax is a type of radio. It's basically 4g.
3g is also a type of radio.

Why do people respond when they give no answer (making the topic even more confusing for the OP)? Like the first 3 responses...

dacoz21

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
While we are talking about broken 4g, I used the unrevoked pre OTA. I've rooted using toast with sprint lovers rom but still can't lock on to 4g signal. ANy suggestions?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress