Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Burned by kickstand?

I am just curious if anyone has run into something similar...

When I place my EVO down, I place it down camera up to avoid getting the lens scratched.

I recently was in a park with my child, put my phone down for literally a few minutes, and when we got back, she grabbed it and got a nasty burn from the kickstand, even though my phone was in a protective bumper and even though the kickstand wasn't in the 'out' position. This was on a sunny day.

I never thought it about as a design flaw before, but I'm thinking I need to either:

1. rip it out and construct some sort of filler or replacement, or
    2. return it and get an Epic 4G when it comes out shortly
    Gigantic Member

ROM
    Bamf Paradigm 2.3

Did you leave it in sunlight the time you were away? If so, the metal will get alittle hot if left in direct sunlight.

I am sorry to hear about your child tho...I dont know of any cases atm that protect the kickstand as well as the phone.

Umm, thats not the phones fault, really you should leave it up, whats the point of scratching the phone. You might want to get a case.

I made a custom cut out of a screen protector and applied it onto the lens. Its simple to do and doesn't hurt the picture quality.
    Virgin Mobile Arc -> HTC EVO 4G

The easiest thing to do would be not leave it in the sun... It's a bad idea to leave any electronic device in the sun.

Ripping the kickstand out or returning the phone is a bit dramatic.

So let me get this straight, you left it out in the sun and discovered that metal has a tendency to retain heat? Then you plan to do this often enough that you need to remove said metal because you don’t want to have to touch it when it gets hot?

Sorry your child got burned but can’t you just tell them not to do that anymore? Don’t touch my phone etc... Children can actually learn these things.

More of a question is how often do you plan on leaving an expensive piece of electronics just sitting out in the sun? You do know this is a bad thing to do right? I would carry mine on my belt holder and if I wanted to play with the children etc… I would put it under a cover of some sort like a towel.

Seriously this is such a problem that you need to modify the phone?
    I guess if you HAD to modify the phone just rap some electrical tape around the stand.
    Systems Analyst by trade, drummer by desire and music lover by birth.
    A self proclaimed geek and gadget nut. ii <--Drum sticks

Wait a flippin' minute...

Metal gets hot? I guess I should return my car because the shift knob is mighty hot when it's in the sun :-/

Global Posts
    1,402 Global Posts
    ROM
    Various

Don't leave your phone out in the sun. Bad bad bad bad.
    </awesome>

I stubbed my toe when walking around in my apartment. I never thought about it as a design flaw before, but I'm thinking I need to either:
    1. rip out all the walls in my apartment, or
    2. move out and buy a warehouse to live in which has no internal walls.

OP has to be trolling?
    Thanked by 2:

Default Re: Burned by kickstand?

This has to be the dumbest problem with evo thread ever...

Sent from my Evo

Global Posts
    7,164 Global Posts
    ROM
    cyanogen_speedy-toastcfh

If one of my children was hurt bad enough I could see where some drastic measures might be necessary. I wouldn't leaving your EVO in the sun though maybe just change your thinking a little to be mindful that that kickstand could get hot. I like the playful way you guys are trying to help but lets keep the tone civil. OP I hope you decide to keep your EVO its a great device.

Global Posts
    38 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wizzums View Post
    I stubbed my toe when walking around in my apartment. I never thought about it as a design flaw before, but I'm thinking I need to either:
    1. rip out all the walls in my apartment, or
    2. move out and buy a warehouse to live in which has no internal walls.

OP has to be trolling?
    Now that's just absurd.

It would be much easier/cheaper to just take off your toe.
    Thanked by:
    kwyatt 

yeah dude, its steel therefore heat is going to dissapte into it. its not the kick stands fault. it didnt heat up on its on, it had a source that heated it up

Quote Originally Posted by flipdippy View Post
    I never thought it about as a design flaw before, but I'm thinking I need to either:

1. rip it out and construct some sort of filler or replacement, or
    2. return it and get an Epic 4G when it comes out shortly
    or..

3. Return your child for touching your phone.
    HTC Evo Cyanogen CM6
    Thanked by 2:

Quote Originally Posted by chaosrecords View Post
    or..

3. Return your child for touching your phone.
    HAHA. Thats just funny.

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

You live and learn. It maybe an out of the ordinary question but it's still valid.

My recommendation, go buy a case. Most EVO cases are thick enough where the camera lens wont even touch the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by deaofly View Post
    ' its my fault for being a pop tart'
    Classic HAHA!!

This is really a tough audience!

Quote Originally Posted by deaofly View Post
    Why do we get the stupid ones on these forums. I have a rubber case on mine and leave it face down while in the house when I go to bed to hear my finger,
    What kind of sound does your finger make?
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3

Global Posts
    746 Global Posts

The Seidio rugged case covers up the kickstand and also has a cover over the camera.

Problem solved.

Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM9...on both devices

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    What kind of sound does your finger make?
    LoL.....
    Go on pull it!!!!!!!

Man I loved that one when I was a kid.

Wow... This is great...

@all

Peep's, this is a friendly community environment. I assure you i can look up most of you poking fun and probably find a question YOU asked that I think is android 101. Some of you, I might have even helped and you didn't notice any smug attitude. Please gang, while i know its easy to hide behind the anonymity of a screen name, think of this as a group of friends/family. Were all here to help. Now let's hug it out!!!!!!!!!!!!

To the OP, while i would never recommend leaving your cell in direct sunlight, hot day or not, if this is something you think would commonly happen id suggest maybe picking a case that helps with this situation OR, worst case scenario, pick a phone without metal on it. I personally prefer HTC devices due to the AMAZING hacking community but that may be less important to you.

Hope these guys didn't scare you off and no matter what device you pick, it's an Android device and you keep coming back to AC
    [CENTER][URL="https://plus.google.com/u/0/+KPSmith/posts"]Follow me on Google +
    Thanked by 2:

Sorry about that happening to your child. That sucks and I would also be upset if one of my kids got burned picking up my phone.

I for one have learned from this mistake. I can leave my phone on my dashboard and heat the kickstand up. Then when I get out of the car I can use it as a weapon if needed. Get to close and I will "Hot Phone"ya. Just one more reason to both love and fear the kickstand.

I wonder if it would still get real hot with an invisashield skin over it? That might be an option for you and this way you would not lose the function of the kickstand.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Wow. thanks for all the useless responses. I guess most of the people here don't actually get out of their basements to go anyplace except soda or to see midnight showings of comic book movies. I would imagine most of you would end up a smoldering pile of ash if you tried to go to a place like a playground during daylight.

I've owned a ton of phones, I seem to recall taking all of them outside, leaving them in my car on occasion, leaving them in the sun, holding them every possible way imaginable.

I did not leave it out for a day, we're talking minutes.

And I don't ever recall being burned or feeling extreme heat from my blackberry tour, 8830, 8820, pearl, my old motorola Q, any of my various razrs, treos, or countless other phones. I remember quite a few of those devices over the years getting toasted and breaking in the heat, but never being so hot they could burn from the touch.

I also don't recall other phones having such a large piece of steel which could heat up so quickly on the outside of the phone.

flame away

Global Posts
    1,402 Global Posts
    ROM
    Various

Quote Originally Posted by flipdippy View Post
    Wow. thanks for all the useless responses. I guess most of the people here don't actually get out of their basements to go anyplace except soda or to see midnight showings of comic book movies. I would imagine most of you would end up a smoldering pile of ash if you tried to go to a place like a playground during daylight.

I've owned a ton of phones, I seem to recall taking all of them outside, leaving them in my car on occasion, leaving them in the sun, holding them every possible way imaginable.

I did not leave it out for a day, we're talking minutes.

And I don't ever recall being burned or feeling extreme heat from my blackberry tour, 8830, 8820, pearl, my old motorola Q, any of my various razrs, treos, or countless other phones. I remember quite a few of those devices over the years getting toasted and breaking in the heat, but never being so hot they could burn from the touch.

I also don't recall other phones having such a large piece of steel which could heat up so quickly on the outside of the phone.

flame away

Well, this one does.
    </awesome>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast