Removed Google voice - doubled battery life

jeffreykime

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I have been using the Evo since launch day. I never had any issues with battery life. Last week I installed a bunch of apps from the market and all of a sudden I couldn't make it beyond lunch with my battery. I uninstalled a bunch of apps and still had the same problems. Yesterday I got rid of Google voice and my battery immediately went back to normal.

Does anyone know of a google voice app that wont drain my battery? If not I'll just check from the web.

jeffreykime

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I got rid of the app. I'm still using the service but don't get some of the benefits of the app. No text messaging from the app or listening to messages through it.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I think you're confusing Google Voice with Google Talk. Voice is an optional install.

Hmm. I don't remember being asked if I wanted to install Voice, but maybe....

In any case, on my phone it's not running, so I don't think it's impacting battery life. But if it IS running on a particular phone, I have no doubt that it will use some battery.

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Hmm. I don't remember being asked if I wanted to install Voice, but maybe....

In any case, on my phone it's not running, so I don't think it's impacting battery life. But if it IS running on a particular phone, I have no doubt that it will use some battery.

You would have had to go find and install it yourself. There would have been no prompt for it.

If what you uninstalled was Google Talk, you may find that you have issues with gmail push, as the two are connected, I believe (could be wrong, but when I FC talk, my mail doesn't arrive as fast)

RayStinkle

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
But you claimed your battery was fine before installing some apps. Google voice comes with the phone out of the box so obviously you weren't having battery problems initially with Google voice. That make sense?

clsiburt

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
But you claimed your battery was fine before installing some apps. Google voice comes with the phone out of the box so obviously you weren't having battery problems initially with Google voice. That make sense?

Google Voice does NOT come with the phone out of the box. Google Talk does.

Google Talk is an IM program and it is also a background process used by Android OS. Google Voice is a Dialer/SMS/Visual Voicemail program.

Edge767

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Voice has had no adverse effect on my battery life, either. I go for 18+ hours typically without any issues and use Voice a lot.

eye4ni

May 17, 2010
Visit site
To the OP, did you have GV set to automatically sync your inbox? If so, I could see how it may affect your battery. I have my settings to NOT sync my inbox and I only refresh the messages when I get an email notification of new voicemail.

wrecklass

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
It's Google Voice, not Google Talk. I have GV installed as well, but don't have automatic sync enabled. No battery issues here.
--
Swyped on my EVO 4G with Tapatalk

RobbyRob

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the post. I was wondering why my Evo started dieing out within like 4 or 5 hours and I remembered I installed Google Voice. Well, I removed it and its been off the charger for over 24 hours now and its at 70% with light use.

eye4ni

May 17, 2010
Visit site
this has GOT to be because the inbox is syncing automatically (which I do not know what interval this happens at). I uninstalled Google Voice just to see if it made a difference and after 4 hours off the charger I am at the exact same battery level that I am EVERYDAY, which is about 85% with automatic sync turned OFF. I get really good battery life so I have no reason to complain, just wanted to see if it made any sort of difference to me...

On a side note, I am trying out the built-in Sprint visual voicemail and I think I might like it more than Google Voice anyway.... just can't archive messages, need to delete them.

pwnst_r

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I have been using the Evo since launch day. I never had any issues with battery life. Last week I installed a bunch of apps from the market and all of a sudden I couldn't make it beyond lunch with my battery. I uninstalled a bunch of apps and still had the same problems. Yesterday I got rid of Google voice and my battery immediately went back to normal.

Does anyone know of a google voice app that wont drain my battery? If not I'll just check from the web.

Please show some proof that you battery life doubled, thanks.

jeffreykime

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Sorry I didn't take screen shots or anything. I'm just basing it on the fact that my battery life started to drop in a major way after Google voice was installed. Now that its off my battery is back to normal. I'm not dead by lunch time. Usage was the same throughout those days.

Didn't think this would cause a big ruckus. Just trying to help people out.

I don't know how often I had it set to sync.

Latest posts

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante