Paste entire phone number from SMS to Dialer

spthomas

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I often get text messages with a phone number in them that I need to reply to with a voice call. A lot of these are voice calls transcribed by Google when they call my Google Voice office number and leave a voice mail. And a lot of the time the number is either formatted by Google or by the poster of the SMS as (xxx)xxx-xxxx or xxx.xxx.xxxx. In the first case when I long press the number, only the last 7 digits get pasted to the phone dialer, evidently Android doesn't recognize the (xxx). In the latter case, it doesn't recognize it as a phone number at all. So, at best, i get PART of the number in the dialer.

Once in the dialer, I can long press and get "edit number before calling". But my only option is the backspace, which deletes ALL 7 digits I have, then type it by hand (who thought that ERASE was the same as EDIT?).

And, in SMS unlike a lot of other text areas, I can't long press in the text and get the little green delimiters to select an area to copy or cut and paste.

Is there any way to do this that I missed? Now it's "look at the SMS, write the number down on paper with a pencil, then open the phone and dial the number". Sort of defeats the purpose of all this technology I think.

Steve

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Do you use Google Voice to make all your outgoing calls? I use GV and I hit the little phone icon at the top to call the person who left the VM

spthomas

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
No, I only use google voice for some of my numbers. But that's a good suggestion for those that I do use Google Voice for. I was trying to paste them into the dialer from the text message GV sends me when someone trys to leave a VM (or more often hangs on the line a second or two too long and it leaves a message even though they hung up.

This issue comes up with phone numbers imbedded in email and in all sort of text messages too. Android seems to recognize the 7 digit part (xxx-xxxx) as a phone number, but the area code formatted (xxx) it ignores.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci