Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Paste entire phone number from SMS to Dialer

I often get text messages with a phone number in them that I need to reply to with a voice call. A lot of these are voice calls transcribed by Google when they call my Google Voice office number and leave a voice mail. And a lot of the time the number is either formatted by Google or by the poster of the SMS as (xxx)xxx-xxxx or xxx.xxx.xxxx. In the first case when I long press the number, only the last 7 digits get pasted to the phone dialer, evidently Android doesn't recognize the (xxx). In the latter case, it doesn't recognize it as a phone number at all. So, at best, i get PART of the number in the dialer.

Once in the dialer, I can long press and get "edit number before calling". But my only option is the backspace, which deletes ALL 7 digits I have, then type it by hand (who thought that ERASE was the same as EDIT?).

And, in SMS unlike a lot of other text areas, I can't long press in the text and get the little green delimiters to select an area to copy or cut and paste.

Is there any way to do this that I missed? Now it's "look at the SMS, write the number down on paper with a pencil, then open the phone and dial the number". Sort of defeats the purpose of all this technology I think.

Steve

ROM
    Decks Reloaded,RebelROM

Default Re: Paste entire phone number from SMS to Dialer

Do you use Google Voice to make all your outgoing calls? I use GV and I hit the little phone icon at the top to call the person who left the VM
    TOSHIBA Thrive Pio's Team Baked BlackBean 4.1.2 ROM
    Samsung Galaxy Note 1 (i717) CM11 4.4.2 kitkat (jamied)
    Samsung GalaxyTab 3 (7 in) Deleterious ROM
    HTC EVO 4G Deck's Reloaded ROM
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (i317) unlocked Ditto Note 3.1.1 (4.3) ROM
    B&N Nook Color (Gifted to relative)
    Samsung Galaxy Prevail Half A$$ed ROM
    EVO Shift JellyBelly ROM
    Samsung Galaxy S3 DanKang 4.3.1 ROM

3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Paste entire phone number from SMS to Dialer

No, I only use google voice for some of my numbers. But that's a good suggestion for those that I do use Google Voice for. I was trying to paste them into the dialer from the text message GV sends me when someone trys to leave a VM (or more often hangs on the line a second or two too long and it leaves a message even though they hung up.

This issue comes up with phone numbers imbedded in email and in all sort of text messages too. Android seems to recognize the 7 digit part (xxx-xxxx) as a phone number, but the area code formatted (xxx) it ignores.