not understanding complaints about evo gaming

Eric1987

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
I never said they did, did I? Nope.

What I'm saying is that gamers will know what exactly the 30fps cap means.

Nothing at all. Games are designed to run at 30 FPS and no more. I hate when people complain that their games dont run at 60 FPS like they can notice the difference anyways.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Well, just coming here to throw some things out there... I have an Evo, I like it, dada yada.

Now, with crap like asphalt 5, its borderline unplayable on my Evo. It jutters, frames drop and get skipped over, and the sounds often cut out. I know that its not our CPU/GPU limiting this, its the drivers HTC kind of made for the phone. They don't function properly...

If you even go so far as simply wiping from home screens, it shows. I look at my old Hero, its butter smooth. The Evo is always kind of chugging between them, and its never as smooth. I know Im going to get railed on that one here by the people that just DON'T care what so ever, but if you go look and do it yourself side to side, in hand, its blatantly obvious. Turn a blind eye to it if you will, but the thing is its just HTC not knowing how to properly write the drivers to incorporate an HDMI out in there. The HDMI out doesn't need to be over 30fps, that I will agree with all day every day. It has absolutely no need to be higher. Our display ON THE PHONE, however, does need to be able to jack up to 60fps when it needs to. Games, for one, need that. Transitions and animations, also need this extra buffer zone of the added 30fps, or they won't ever look smooth. If you want to argue that our GPU sucks, then riddle me this, why doesn't the Incredible have FPS issues? Why not the Nexus One? They have the same screen resolution as us, with the same internals. Same amount of RAM, same CPU/GPU, same everything except for different models.

I have to disagree with you there friend. I had a Hero and nothing about that device was smooth. I think the gaming on the EVO is fine. I think that there has been a lot of talk lately about benchmark tests and consumer have taken it too far. Gaming on the EVO is solid.

Jeff80

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I've been playing PC games for 15 years. I've become sensitive to frame rates, especially if they're inconsistent. The one game I consider unplayable is Asphalt. The reason for this is the inconsistency of the frame rate. It definitely dips down below 30fps in most occasions. This results to choppy gameplay overall. I can tolerate 30fps as long as it stays like that. I'm not really a fan of Asphalt, I'm just using it as an example. I usually play casual games that are less 3d intensive and they run fine. That's ok with me. I don't really need a PSP like phone.. yet! I'm just giving my opinion as a PC gamer. I totally understand why people are mad about this issue. Perhaps certain games aren't optimized for the Adreno. Or maybe the GPU is really inferior.

Predator-1

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I have to disagree with you there friend. I had a Hero and nothing about that device was smooth. I think the gaming on the EVO is fine. I think that there has been a lot of talk lately about benchmark tests and consumer have taken it too far. Gaming on the EVO is solid.
Agreed... I wonder how many people really bought the Evo based on gaming potential? I don't believe i saw any advertisment about gaming at all before I bought the device. Bottom line is there are things capped on the Evo which slow down 3D but that was not really a selling point of the device when launched. The big things were 4G, camera and video and i does all these things great and it does these things better than the other devices it's compared against for 3D gaming. Go buy a PSP folks... They're really cheap now.

Caitlyn McKenzie

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Well, just coming here to throw some things out there... I have an Evo, I like it, dada yada.

Now, with crap like asphalt 5, its borderline unplayable on my Evo. It jutters, frames drop and get skipped over, and the sounds often cut out. I know that its not our CPU/GPU limiting this, its the drivers HTC kind of made for the phone. They don't function properly...

If you even go so far as simply wiping from home screens, it shows. I look at my old Hero, its butter smooth. The Evo is always kind of chugging between them, and its never as smooth. I know Im going to get railed on that one here by the people that just DON'T care what so ever, but if you go look and do it yourself side to side, in hand, its blatantly obvious. Turn a blind eye to it if you will, but the thing is its just HTC not knowing how to properly write the drivers to incorporate an HDMI out in there. The HDMI out doesn't need to be over 30fps, that I will agree with all day every day. It has absolutely no need to be higher. Our display ON THE PHONE, however, does need to be able to jack up to 60fps when it needs to. Games, for one, need that. Transitions and animations, also need this extra buffer zone of the added 30fps, or they won't ever look smooth. If you want to argue that our GPU sucks, then riddle me this, why doesn't the Incredible have FPS issues? Why not the Nexus One? They have the same screen resolution as us, with the same internals. Same amount of RAM, same CPU/GPU, same everything except for different models.

Uh, they do have issues. The Nexus One is just as laggy, even on Froyo. This is exactly the problem. People like you just "assume" its the 30fps cap without actually looking into it.

tmaxey1

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site

So you actually want us to believe that your Hero (i own one also) can run a 3d game like asphalt 5 at a higher frame rate than the EVO? Seriously? You want us to think the 500mhz processor is capable of running more fps on a graphically intense game like asphant 5 than the EVO? And you really think this is because of the 30fps cap? The 30fps cap will only apply to games capable of running over 30fps anyway. These games are not designed to run more than 30fps. Only if they were would the cap be responsible for frames rates going up or down. Otherwise it would run smooth 30fps all the time.
Also try running this game on the Nexus One or Incredible. Your results will be the same. Email gameloft and see what reply you get when you ask them how many FPS their games are designed to run at. These games are programmed to run smoothly at 30 fps.

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
The evo can have framerate issues with cut scenes.
On toP of that is the touch input lag.
If you play Raging Thunder 2 on the Incredible, there is no lag.

Caitlyn McKenzie

May 17, 2010
Visit site
The evo can have framerate issues with cut scenes.
On toP of that is the touch input lag.
If you play Raging Thunder 2 on the Incredible, there is no lag.

The incredible in all videos/testing I've seen have the same speed gameplay as the nexus one, and the EVO, all of which have the same CPU/GPU.

There is however touch input lag, it is minor but it does exist. This is not related to the framerate cap (custom ROMs prove this).

thefoodman52

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
To whoever said something related to the Hero playing games like crap... it doesn't really. It's just as good as on the Evo, oddly enough. Asphalt 5 actually runs nearly the same on the Hero as the Evo... again which is sad. Raging thunder (the first one) is actually more payable on the Hero than the Evo as it stands as well. It doesn't studder nearly as much.

acme64

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
the only reason you'd need more then 30fps is to compensate for the unstable fps in games. If it dips below 30 its noticeable, if it dips below 60 its not

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Some games require the game to hit above 30fps...

Anyway, I'm about to make a thread on why the 30fps cap should affect even a normal person, not just a gamer.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Some games require the game to hit above 30fps...

Anyway, I'm about to make a thread on why the 30fps cap should affect even a normal person, not just a gamer.

What are the other areas it affects? I don't know about these complaints. I haven't had an issue with the games I have played, watching videos, taking videos, the phone being baggy, it anything. I guess I will never understand these complaints.