Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default not understanding complaints about evo gaming

I just downloaded a couple of games to see for myself what the big deal about the gaming woes are compared to the the newer Android devices coming out and I didn't see any issue with it. I downloaded Let's Golf and NOVA and they both played well. am I missing something?

just something for the negative minded to complain about

People expect PS3 or XBOX360 quality out of their Evo's. Yes it's definitely a little more choppy compared to the Galaxy lineup and even the Droid X but like I said, it's not a OS3 or anything so nobody should expect that type of quality. I've played plenty of 3D games on my Evo and it's been fine for me...
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,910 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

You can see the difference in the video that Android Central put up comparing the EVO to the Droid X, Captivate, and N1. It does look smoother on the Captivate than the other phones. Technically the Evo was slowest, with the Captivate (aka Galaxy S) being twice as fast in gaming.

They did the best they could to have a side by side comparison of Asphalt 5, and you can see the Captivate is a smoother experience.

Most games will play well, i think. The issue is that 3D gaming is used for benchmarking performance on these devices and when compared with the newest devices, the Evo is hampered by the GPU and framerate cap among other things. I think if those caps were removed someway the Evo would perform as well if not better than the other devices on the market. But seriously, who buys a phone for 3D gaming? That what they make Xboxes for...
    Thanked by:
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,910 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Benzzo View Post
    Most games will play well, i think. The issue is that 3D gaming is used for benchmarking performance on these devices and when compared with the newest devices, the Evo is hampered by the GPU and framerate cap among other things. I think if those caps were removed someway the Evo would perform as well if not better than the other devices on the market. But seriously, who buys a phone for 3D gaming? That what they make Xboxes for...
    I agree I was just giving an example of what the difference is. It is noticable when you see it side by side.

Global Posts
    521 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iamlilysdad View Post
    You can see the difference in the video that Android Central put up comparing the EVO to the Droid X, Captivate, and N1.
    Do you have a link for that by chance??

Default Re: not understanding complaints about evo gaming

Try to play asphalt 5 on your EVO

sent from AJ's EVO 4G

Quote Originally Posted by VKitty View Post
    Do you have a link for that by chance??
    http://www.androidcentral.com/att-sa...icsgaming-test
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    396 Global Posts

Dude I was thinking the same thing I even play asphalt n I'm sorry but I don't see what the problem is I think ppl just want something to complaint about, games on the EVO r pretty good
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,910 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Flip View Post
    Dude I was thinking the same thing I even play asphalt n I'm sorry but I don't see what the problem is I think ppl just want something to complaint about, games on the EVO r pretty good
    Pretty good isn't good enough for some people. Admittedly in the video the EVO kinda gets stomped. For daily use (non gaming) it's just as fast, though.

Global Posts
    541 Global Posts

there's a 30 frames per second limit.... Download an HD trailer from quicktime or watch hulu in highquality... You like? Good, cause the EVO gives the same quality. The complainers are truly a very small %, but they'r ALL complaining. So it seems like a grave issue.

Global Posts
    776 Global Posts

You won't understand if you don't "game".

The framerates on Asphalt 5 for Evo compared with the Galaxy, or even an iPhone 3gs, are totally inferior. Yes, the game is playable on the Evo...it just isn't nearly as impressive.

For people throwing around the 30fps cap "issue", that's not why you see slow performance in games. It's because the Snapdragon has a slower GPU than you'd find on the iPhone or Droid. The CPU is faster though, for all other tasks.

i bought the Evo purely for use as a phone. i needed the huge screen to have huge numbers because there was no way i was gonna buy a jitterbug.

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts

I watched the video of the EVO vs captivate running Asphalt 5 and i really couldnt tell the difference at all. The guy making the video was stressing how big the difference was. But i couldnt notice it in that video. Not at all. Maybe i am just not phased by that sort of thing.

I think the EVO plays 3d games more than ok. It plays them really really good. Now i am not a huge phone gamer. I spend much more time playing games on my xbox360 (which runs at 30fps also). So i wouldnt buy a phone based on 3d graphics performance. UI is much more important to me. Maybe i will check out the Galaxy S in a side by side in person and see if i can really notice much of a difference. But in the video i noticed none what so ever.

Well, just coming here to throw some things out there... I have an Evo, I like it, dada yada.

Now, with crap like asphalt 5, its borderline unplayable on my Evo. It jutters, frames drop and get skipped over, and the sounds often cut out. I know that its not our CPU/GPU limiting this, its the drivers HTC kind of made for the phone. They don't function properly...

If you even go so far as simply wiping from home screens, it shows. I look at my old Hero, its butter smooth. The Evo is always kind of chugging between them, and its never as smooth. I know Im going to get railed on that one here by the people that just DON'T care what so ever, but if you go look and do it yourself side to side, in hand, its blatantly obvious. Turn a blind eye to it if you will, but the thing is its just HTC not knowing how to properly write the drivers to incorporate an HDMI out in there. The HDMI out doesn't need to be over 30fps, that I will agree with all day every day. It has absolutely no need to be higher. Our display ON THE PHONE, however, does need to be able to jack up to 60fps when it needs to. Games, for one, need that. Transitions and animations, also need this extra buffer zone of the added 30fps, or they won't ever look smooth. If you want to argue that our GPU sucks, then riddle me this, why doesn't the Incredible have FPS issues? Why not the Nexus One? They have the same screen resolution as us, with the same internals. Same amount of RAM, same CPU/GPU, same everything except for different models.

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pwnst_r View Post
    You won't understand if you don't "game".
    real gamers don't play real games on their phones.

As long as my bejeweled runs good, im happy with it. I save the serious stuff for my PC

Global Posts
    776 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by acme64 View Post
    real gamers don't play real games on their phones.

As long as my bejeweled runs good, im happy with it. I save the serious stuff for my PC
    I never said they did, did I? Nope.

What I'm saying is that gamers will know what exactly the 30fps cap means.

Quote Originally Posted by pwnst_r View Post
    I never said they did, did I? Nope.

What I'm saying is that gamers will know what exactly the 30fps cap means.
    Nothing at all. Games are designed to run at 30 FPS and no more. I hate when people complain that their games dont run at 60 FPS like they can notice the difference anyways.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Quote Originally Posted by thefoodman52 View Post
    Well, just coming here to throw some things out there... I have an Evo, I like it, dada yada.

Now, with crap like asphalt 5, its borderline unplayable on my Evo. It jutters, frames drop and get skipped over, and the sounds often cut out. I know that its not our CPU/GPU limiting this, its the drivers HTC kind of made for the phone. They don't function properly...

If you even go so far as simply wiping from home screens, it shows. I look at my old Hero, its butter smooth. The Evo is always kind of chugging between them, and its never as smooth. I know Im going to get railed on that one here by the people that just DON'T care what so ever, but if you go look and do it yourself side to side, in hand, its blatantly obvious. Turn a blind eye to it if you will, but the thing is its just HTC not knowing how to properly write the drivers to incorporate an HDMI out in there. The HDMI out doesn't need to be over 30fps, that I will agree with all day every day. It has absolutely no need to be higher. Our display ON THE PHONE, however, does need to be able to jack up to 60fps when it needs to. Games, for one, need that. Transitions and animations, also need this extra buffer zone of the added 30fps, or they won't ever look smooth. If you want to argue that our GPU sucks, then riddle me this, why doesn't the Incredible have FPS issues? Why not the Nexus One? They have the same screen resolution as us, with the same internals. Same amount of RAM, same CPU/GPU, same everything except for different models.
    I have to disagree with you there friend. I had a Hero and nothing about that device was smooth. I think the gaming on the EVO is fine. I think that there has been a lot of talk lately about benchmark tests and consumer have taken it too far. Gaming on the EVO is solid.

Global Posts
    151 Global Posts

I've been playing PC games for 15 years. I've become sensitive to frame rates, especially if they're inconsistent. The one game I consider unplayable is Asphalt. The reason for this is the inconsistency of the frame rate. It definitely dips down below 30fps in most occasions. This results to choppy gameplay overall. I can tolerate 30fps as long as it stays like that. I'm not really a fan of Asphalt, I'm just using it as an example. I usually play casual games that are less 3d intensive and they run fine. That's ok with me. I don't really need a PSP like phone.. yet! I'm just giving my opinion as a PC gamer. I totally understand why people are mad about this issue. Perhaps certain games aren't optimized for the Adreno. Or maybe the GPU is really inferior.

Quote Originally Posted by dwaynewilliams View Post
    I have to disagree with you there friend. I had a Hero and nothing about that device was smooth. I think the gaming on the EVO is fine. I think that there has been a lot of talk lately about benchmark tests and consumer have taken it too far. Gaming on the EVO is solid.
    Agreed... I wonder how many people really bought the Evo based on gaming potential? I don't believe i saw any advertisment about gaming at all before I bought the device. Bottom line is there are things capped on the Evo which slow down 3D but that was not really a selling point of the device when launched. The big things were 4G, camera and video and i does all these things great and it does these things better than the other devices it's compared against for 3D gaming. Go buy a PSP folks... They're really cheap now.

Quote Originally Posted by thefoodman52 View Post

Uh, they do have issues. The Nexus One is just as laggy, even on Froyo. This is exactly the problem. People like you just "assume" its the 30fps cap without actually looking into it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast