1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

Default Youtube app "Sorry this video cannot be played"

VERY annoying youtube issue..
    With just about ANY video i try to play on youtube while using EVDO, i am greeted with this message after about a 30 second "loading" loop

I have been able to find others with this issue.. but no fix:

Yep. I get that a lot. Not sure if its a Youtube problem or app problem but im leaning more towards app problem.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

Its funny how long this issue has been present, there are posts from 2009 complaining about this problem...Sad

It's from the user who uploaded the video.

If you ever uploaded a video to Youtube, it gives you the optional to restrict access to mobile devices.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Youtube app "Sorry this video cannot be played"-capture.jpg  
    Last edited by piggyman; 07-18-2010 at 01:58 AM.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

No it isnt, because if i try to play a video 7 times, it will work about 2 out of those times.
    There are workarounds some people have found like:
    1) instead of directly tapping the video, if you press the "i" which shows its related videos and allows you to view comments, rate, favorite, share, flag. It seems to work more often than just directly pressing the video from a search.
    2) When getting the "Sorry this video cannot be played" error, if you press the back key, then press the search key on the phone, type in a bunch of letters then delete and press back key, go to the video and it plays more often than not.
    3) when using m.youtube.com the video will play

Also want to add this happens with almost every video.... and if the uploader even did deny mobile phones, it would even show up in the search when using the app

One more thing.... the videos play flawlessly while on wifi... issue is only present when on evdo (3G)
    Last edited by phaseIII; 07-18-2010 at 03:31 AM.

This seems to happen everytime Youtube updates something on the server end. People had this issue with the Hero until the 2.1 update.

I had this issue with my palm pre all the freaking time. After I got a replacement for the oreo issue, I saw it much less, if ever after that.

Global Posts
    776 Global Posts

The youtube app needs that fixed an a UI overhaul. That has to be the ugliest low res interface I've ever seen.

Default Re: Youtube app "Sorry this video cannot be played"

Phasell,
    did you ever resolve "this video cannot be played" issue ?
    I have exactly the same...fine on WiFi - no video will play on Vodafone network at any location, any time of day/night.

Default Re: Youtube app "Sorry this video cannot be played"

hi there
    I saw this thread was old. just wondered if anyone reported this issue has the problem solved now.
    me also have this issue. I m using LG P500 andriod just to watch youtube etc. and got this 'sorry this video cant be played' . !
    1. it works perfect fine on wife with my phone.
    2. i tried reset to factory status , not working
    3. tried clear browser caches, and reset to default , not working
    4. i dont have Flash playing installed. as i m using the youtube app.,
    5. upgrade to latest version of youtube app, didint work
    6. use on browser, didnt work . same error
    7. some times when i turn off then turn on.. and without log into youtube my account, occasionally one or two videos i randomly picked worked. but afterwards, the same message show up.
    8. I walked into a phone shop, begged the guy to try my sim on his phone, and he checked youtube using my sim card. we randomly checked a few videos. All worked.