Poor audio quality on video recording

sveilien

Jun 18, 2010
www.punnyshirts.com
Is there a reason why the audio quality on the EVO's video is so poor? It sounds like a low kHz sampling when I play it back on my computer. Definitely much worse than my old Pre's video's audio. Is there some hidden setting for to improve the audio quality?

And another thing, why are the videos in 3gp format? That seems like a step backwards.

pwnst_r

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Didn't you already post this? Maybe it was Androidforums.

It sucks, period. Those that say otherwise are in denial.

sveilien

Jun 18, 2010
www.punnyshirts.com
Well according to QuickTime the audio is "mono at 8kHz" which, in scientific terms, is absolute sh!t. There HAS to a be a way to adjust it (rooted app?) to get it to 44kHz.

PS i tried the stock voice recorder app and it too was a 8kHz rate.

EDIT:
QT also listed the audio codec as "AMR Narrowband".

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I bet the Evo only having one microphone has something to do with it.

8 kHz is the sampling frequency used for telephony.

sveilien

Jun 18, 2010
www.punnyshirts.com
I bet the Evo only having one microphone has something to do with it.

8 kHz is the sampling frequency used for telephony.

Yup. It seems like that HTC said, "Screw it, we'll just use the base phone's telephony sampling and codec to go along with the HD video. Oh, and we'll turn down the video bitrate so low that it negates actually having the ability to record at a high resolution".

It's just frustrating coming from a phone that I paid $10 a month less for because it didn't have a "rich media experience", though the video and audio where much better. I hope some brilliant app developer can make a real video recording app.

rizorith

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if the voice mails are also at that bitrate. I can barely hear them even with the audio turned up and when i do, it's very tinny.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if the voice mails are also at that bitrate. I can barely hear them even with the audio turned up and when i do, it's very tinny.

Most likely as they are technically a phone call. Though it's possible they could be compressed even further when stored, but I doubt that.

deaofly

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Are you covering the Mic when holding the evo.and recording. I noticed on my 1st videos I took that I was holding it and my hand was very close over the Mic and it made it low. Not really sure but if your complaining about paying $10 more then your other phone then just take the evo back. Did you watch some YouTube videos on the evo. Everybody who has the evo have it for personal reasons that fit them. The camera sure ain't the best but its not what makes it a great phone, its all the other stuff that to ME makes it a great phone. Again if you feel you don't like it, don't complain and take it back. Plan and simple.

sveilien

Jun 18, 2010
www.punnyshirts.com
Are you covering the Mic when holding the evo.and recording. I noticed on my 1st videos I took that I was holding it and my hand was very close over the Mic and it made it low. Not really sure but if your complaining about paying $10 more then your other phone then just take the evo back. Did you watch some YouTube videos on the evo. Everybody who has the evo have it for personal reasons that fit them. The camera sure ain't the best but its not what makes it a great phone, its all the other stuff that to ME makes it a great phone. Again if you feel you don't like it, don't complain and take it back. Plan and simple.

Nope, I wasn't covering the mic. The fact is, the EVO encodes the camcorder audio at a low quality bitrate and that's why the videos don't sound good (same for the video quality).

Is it worth returning over? No. Should the audio recording quality of a phone this caliber be better (hell, 44kHz 16-bit audio has been standard with MPEG4 video for a long time). Yes.

By starting this thread, I ended up answering my own question. I think I'll head over to XDA and see if anyone is interested or has researched A/V recording quality fixes or if that's even possible right now.

Last edited:

deaofly

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Sorry bro I didn't finish reading the rest of your post cuz my browser closed on me. I didn't mean to sound like a ***, again sorry. I hear that it has to due with compressing the video and audio. With the Evo being high tech you would think they would have had it with a better saving method. I think Sprint is secretly planning something. I really hope Sprint has a few tricks up there slaves since they are preparing the Froyo 2.2 update themselves.

sveilien

Jun 18, 2010
www.punnyshirts.com
Sorry bro I didn't finish reading the rest of your post cuz my browser closed on me. I didn't mean to sound like a ***, again sorry. I hear that it has to due with compressing the video and audio. With the Evo being high tech you would think they would have had it with a better saving method. I think Sprint is secretly planning something. I really hope Sprint has a few tricks up there slaves since they are preparing the Froyo 2.2 update themselves.

No offense taken, it's cool. It seems like with any new cool piece of tech, there is at least one thing the makers slacked on. I have a theory that if someone nailed every tech spec on the head, the universe would implode, so they do it on purpose, lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2