Will 3D Gaming Improve

vteclipsegs

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone think froyo will bring improved 3D gaming even with the limited gfx cpu? Coming from a palm pre the choppiness of raging thunder, asphalt 5 , and the like have me worried. Is it sloppy coding or is the EVO really maxed? A 30 FPS cap doesnt seem like an issue when the phone pegs @ 25 FPS.

Maybe this is just like the palm pre where it seemed all doom and gloom until PDK games came out and rocked everyones socks off.

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
The Palm Pre never had a cap, and the GPU in the Pre is more powerful. It was there before the PDK was released on the SDK.

Lorak

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
answer is... we just don't know.
I think it could be improved. The GPU while not top of the line, is not optimized very well either. Can qualcomm put out drivers that can make it better? or will they? that is the question.

the 30FPS cap for gaming isn't the real issue. Its the large gaps in FPS that causes the gaming problems. If it was a steady 30 or even less than 30FPS and steady it would be fine.

The problem is the FPS varies so wildly as to make it choppy. Thats what they need to fix.

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, framerate issues are caused by varying fps. I get them a lot in Raging Thunder II and in cut scenes.

The N1 and Incredible aren't bad at games... but the Evo just makes things worse.
If they fix the 30fps cap, a lot of things will improve... overall smoothness in scrolling and whatnot.
The slowdown in the game: Let's Golf... due to 30fps.

I asked this a while ago too. I was wondering about the Adreno GPU.
Game developers can creates smaller textures and whatnot.

This will work because the fill rate on the Adreno GPU in Snapdragons is lower than other phones.
Infact, the triangles per second on the Adreno GPU is higher than the Palm Pre and original Droid, yet both of those devices perform better.
So apparently things CAN be done... Will they? Maybe not.

I just know I'm going to root, and overclock+unlock 30fps... that will suit my gaming needs.

Edit:
I was probably the most interested in gaming on the Evo... I did a lot of reading about the Adreno GPU and comments under the benchmarks done by other android sites...

But then I got Gameboid and I just play pokemon, lol.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
It's mostly in the programming. Try Skies of Fury from the market, no trial as far as I can see and it costs 5 bucks, but it sure runs good and looks great on the Evo. And it has multiplayer so you can shoot your fellow Android and iPhone buddies out of the sky.

Give it a whirl, if you like that sort of game, it's worth the money!

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Oh, there are games that run great with great graphics.

Try Raging Thunder II... better than asphalt 5 in my opinion.
Also try Exzeus Arcade... awesome 3d shooter and STUNNING graphics. Runs flawlessly on the Evo.
Gameloft updated Nova, and it runs well. Cut scenes lag because of 30fps cap... but nobody cares about that. Though I would watch out for their DRM, as it allows one download per phone. Costs $5.00. You have to go to the website straight from your Evo. www.gameloft.com

fr4nk1yn

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
The 30fps cap has nothing to do with the gaming performance. Games at even reaching 30fps ):
Qualcomm chips have never been great 3D performers. I've read the GPU isn't being used or its not optimized. I'm not holding my breath waiting for any fixes, I did that with my Touch Pro and I'm still a little blue.

mvpilot172

May 7, 2010
Visit site
HTC has been making phones with great hardware without getting drivers for it, or even using the features for years. I had an HTC Touch for sprint, had GPS, a good GPU, which weren't used. We finally got a hack for the GPS but the GPU was never used. Maybe someone can write a patch to force 30fps constantly.

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
The 30fps cap has nothing to do with the gaming performance. Games at even reaching 30fps ):
Qualcomm chips have never been great 3D performers. I've read the GPU isn't being used or its not optimized. I'm not holding my breath waiting for any fixes, I did that with my Touch Pro and I'm still a little blue.

Sigh...

It does.
Especially with games that often have spikes in frames per second.
Games don't run steady at 30fps. You can say that games are meant to run at 30fps, but sometimes it is necessary for it to go above 30fps.

But uhh, whatever. I need to make a thread on what the 30fps cap means... so many things being misunderstood.

mvpilot172

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Depends on the Android developers, most games from companies like Gameloft are quick ports from Iphone games (like we had on the Pre). If and when game Devs write specific code for snapdragon and android it will improve. Right now you go where you make more money and that's not in Android YET.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
For DRM'd gameloft games.....yes. They removed most of them from the market, and you can only install them from their website, and they are 1 time install only.

My personal experience with dungeon hunter from gameloft was a good one. When I got my replacement EVO, I inserted my micro SD card into the new phone, downloaded astro explorer, browsed to the card, found the file that was initially downloaded from gameloft, ran it, it finished installation of the game and everything worked fine, even my game saves were there. As long as your phone is associated with your Google account of should work fine, although it looks like you need the help of astro explorer or other file managing programs.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylorhudson5670