Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    115 Global Posts

Default HTC Weather Widget shows sun when its dark.

HTC weather widget shows the sun shinning at 9pm here in Los Angeles when dark outside. Anyone know why? Also is there a fix.

Global Posts
    776 Global Posts

I think the default update is set to an hour, possibly even two. Don't recall exactly.

Carrier
    The 1 with the GEEBEES

Default Re: HTC Weather Widget shows sun when its dark.

Even though you do a manual refresh it won't show the moon till about 9:35ish here in the west coast.

Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk

Default Re: HTC Weather Widget shows sun when its dark.

http://www.sunrisesunset.com/

I guess you could fix it by waiting for the sun to set.
    --
    Swyped on my EVO 4G with Tapatalk

I have times when it shows the sun at 11pm. Minds is set to update every hour. They need to sync with the weather channel.

Happens to me all the time in the Northwest. It'll be dark as night (!) and my display will show the sun shining as if it were noon.

Usually it takes 2 or 3 manual updates for it to show the moon. No biggie.

Was happening to me too, today. I'm in East L.A.

It's 07:48 and I still see the moon, so the opposite is also true. Full moon even though sunrise was technically an hour ago. Ah well. (Oh look, I can see Apollo 11's landing site... Ooooh, shiny.)

Quote Originally Posted by apollooff320 View Post
    They need to sync with the weather channel.
    Agreed. They also need to add more locations. Try searching for Santa Cruz, CA and you get nothing. Yosemite National Park, nothing.

The Weather Channel app is very visually unappealing though.

The HTC weather app is a total joke. I just tried to get my local weather from the so itself (I don't use the widget anymore, it's a waste of resources) and it still thinks I'm one state away where I spent the weekend 9 days ago. It won't manually refresh to my location and my city (like most cities) isn't in the database. Such crap.

Global Posts
    408 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

I am using fancy widget (which htc took from the market) which looks exactly the same as the htc weather app but it is more accurate. The animation is the only thing I miss from the htc weather app.

YeH, I have the same issue here in NYC. 10pm and the sun is shining bright but only on my phone.

To know whether or not the sun is shining, I just look outside.
    Kristy_Joy likes this.

If you have background data turned off to save battery life, it won't update automatically. You have to manually refresh it. Which isn't a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by roothog View Post
    To know whether or not the sun is shining, I just look outside.
    I'm sure if you want to know if it's raining you also just run outside and see if you get wet.

Not really the point people were trying to make and you know it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristy_Joy View Post
    If you have background data turned off to save battery life, it won't update automatically. You have to manually refresh it. Which isn't a big deal.
    And doesn't always work. It's just a silly little app, but it would be nice if it actually functioned properly now and again.

Well, the sun is still shining even if you can't see it.

But seriously, I think the graphic is related to a weather forecast and not the current time. So perhaps it only updates as weather information is updated?

Quote Originally Posted by GenericMusings View Post
    I'm sure if you want to know if it's raining you also just run outside and see if you get wet.

Not really the point people were trying to make and you know it.

And doesn't always work. It's just a silly little app, but it would be nice if it actually functioned properly now and again.
    Yeah, I was being snarky on purpose. I use weather widgets on my EVO, on my OS X dashboard, and formerly on my iPhone. They all have the same issue: the day/night is occasionally an hour or so off. Presumably, they're all getting similar data feeds. It just seems utterly pointless to me to worry about such a trivial problem, particularly since every weather widget I've ever used has the same problem, which led me to give the trivial response above.

Quote Originally Posted by phillysdon04 View Post
    I am using fancy widget (which htc took from the market) which looks exactly the same as the htc weather app but it is more accurate. The animation is the only thing I miss from the htc weather app.
    I remember that app having problems not updating for days did they even fix that? I know beautiful widgets has the same problem as the HTC weather widget with it being sunny at night. They must be pulling weather data from the same crappy place.

just use beatiful widgets, its way better and customizible anyway

Global Posts
    658 Global Posts

1- Check what city / region you are set to for the weather. Remove and re-add widget and set the city.
    2- Check the sync time for weather
    3- What happens after a manual sync, if none of the above help?

Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock Android 4.0.4

The problem is not with the location setting, always on data settings or the sync app schedule; the problem is with the app, the data feed or both.

Even when manually updated often times the widget will not change!!!
    GenericMusings likes this.