Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    424 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

Default qik for Evo just got an update

Read what it says in the new part its looking good

Carrier
    CyanogenMod 6.1.1/Stock

So "Qik for Evo" new feature is Froyo support... early August update looking good!

Carrier
    CyanogenMod 6.1.1/Stock

and I wouldnt be surprised if theyre getting help with Sprint on getting Qik up and capable for the Froyo upgrade since they are seeing Facetime getting so much attention, and they dont want to repeat the Qik launch debacle back in June.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    424 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

Your right about that but let's see what happens over the weeks to come

Are there any extra charges for using Qik?

Carrier
    CyanogenMod 6.1.1/Stock

Qik extended their premium services as free until September because of the launch fail

Global Posts
    284 Global Posts

I have never gotten qiq to work on my phone. Alwasy stays at connecting when I call my wifes evo. Hopefully this update will help.

What the heck is Google waiting for to get a cross-platform video chat service released?
    ldudiaz likes this.

Global Posts
    585 Global Posts

Two things I do not get from google, I am not a developer and have no idea how things works, but you would think that by now you be able to video chat on gtalk for android. And the other one is youtube live streaming ala ustream

Global Posts
    477 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Team XRON; Sense or Aosp

Quote Originally Posted by ldudiaz View Post
    Two things I do not get from google, I am not a developer and have no idea how things works, but you would think that by now you be able to video chat on gtalk for android. And the other one is youtube live streaming ala ustream
    I think the main thing stopping google from doing that is how many different applications they would have to program, because for one thing Android and Iphone OS are programmed in different languages making life just that much harder, which means they have to do some work with permissions. I know they have the man power, but do they want to allocate it for that? If they do they would have to charge for it which in turn would cause Google to charge for it to cover the manpower, and seeing how people acted when QIK wants to charge people 5 dollars for their hard work would make me second guess myself also....

That's my 2 cents...

I had a problem with qik. I would call my wife and she would get a text to go to a link. The link then stated "video chat was not available at this time." Finally I went to menu-settings-applications-manage applications-qik-clear cache. Then I logged out and logged back in to qik. At that point is started working.

Global Posts
    846 Global Posts

I hope this means I get some Froyo soon, cause I don't like Froyo in the winter lol

Global Posts
    585 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Runningwarrior08 View Post
    I think the main thing stopping google from doing that is how many different applications they would have to program, because for one thing Android and Iphone OS are programmed in different languages making life just that much harder, which means they have to do some work with permissions. I know they have the man power, but do they want to allocate it for that? If they do they would have to charge for it which in turn would cause Google to charge for it to cover the manpower, and seeing how people acted when QIK wants to charge people 5 dollars for their hard work would make me second guess myself also....

That's my 2 cents...
    I thing you right

Global Posts
    585 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Runningwarrior08 View Post

That's my 2 cents...
    well said

Quote Originally Posted by treo650-ssr View Post
    I had a problem with qik. I would call my wife and she would get a text to go to a link. The link then stated "video chat was not available at this time." Finally I went to menu-settings-applications-manage applications-qik-clear cache. Then I logged out and logged back in to qik. At that point is started working.
    Its the logging out that fixed it. clearing cache does nothing for this. I finally figured it out a week ago. I went almost a month trying to get video chat to work on Qik between my wifes and my EVO's. Soon as I logged us out of QIK on both phones and logged back in it has worked fine ever since.

Funny thing is I search everywhere on the Qik site and could never find a fix. I cant believe this isnt being mentioned everywhere as how to fix your video chat.

Quote Originally Posted by ldudiaz View Post
    Google has recently implemented this to gmail.
    Google voice and video chat

Not sure how long they want to test it before going to a mobile platform, but rest assured that it's coming.

Quote Originally Posted by barleysoda View Post
    Its the logging out that fixed it. clearing cache does nothing for this. I finally figured it out a week ago. I went almost a month trying to get video chat to work on Qik between my wifes and my EVO's. Soon as I logged us out of QIK on both phones and logged back in it has worked fine ever since.

Funny thing is I search everywhere on the Qik site and could never find a fix. I cant believe this isnt being mentioned everywhere as how to fix your video chat.
    It's because people abandoned Qik and started using Fring, which actually worked.

Funny that the EVO isn't even listed as a supported phone on Qik's website.

I spoke to a Sprint Rep that had an interesting take on Froyo's release for the EVO. He said that the Samsung Epic is being shipped with 2.1, and thus he could not see the EVO getting 2.2 before the Epic's release.

He also said that the Epic will be a bigger power hog than the EVO and therefore would need the power saving capabilities of 2.2, so he would expect it to get 2.2 shortly after it's release. Not sure what this means for the EVO and Froyo, but thought I would throw it out there.

Global Posts
    1,447 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Changes weekly!

Quote Originally Posted by f1nzup View Post
    I spoke to a Sprint Rep that had an interesting take on Froyo's release for the EVO. He said that the Samsung Epic is being shipped with 2.1, and thus he could not see the EVO getting 2.2 before the Epic's release.

He also said that the Epic will be a bigger power hog than the EVO and therefore would need the power saving capabilities of 2.2, so he would expect it to get 2.2 shortly after it's release. Not sure what this means for the EVO and Froyo, but thought I would throw it out there.
    Take anything a Sprint rep or any rep for a carrier with a grain of salt. They never have a clue.

^^^

This, plus the fact that htc and Samsung need to make 2.2 work on their phones, not Sprint. Sprint could, I suppose, hold up the 2.2 release on the Evo until it's done for the Epic, but I doubt it. Sprint would likely be more concerned about competition from other carriers than from within their own line.

Quote Originally Posted by limitproof View Post
    and I wouldnt be surprised if theyre getting help with Sprint on getting Qik up and capable for the Froyo upgrade since they are seeing Facetime getting so much attention, and they dont want to repeat the Qik launch debacle back in June.
    who said facetime is getting attention, maybe on iphone blogs. facetime is useless.

i need an app that can work from any where on my mobile network. not while i'm home using my wifi. for that i get on my desktop and use my webcam and do naughty things lol with better res.