Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default type too fast? spacebar doesn't register

does anyone have a problem with the spacebar not registering when typing quickly on their phone? it seems to be getting worse as i get faster. which of course is annoying because words run together and then get saved in the dictionary or auto-corrected. it's driving me nuts.

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts

happens to me all the time.
    Not with the HTC keyboard, more with "Smart Keyboard Pro"
    However, I also hit "b" or "v" when trying to hit the spacebar so I think I'm just terrible at the touch keyboard.

Global Posts
    565 Global Posts

Happens to me as well.
    HTC Evo 4G | Playstation 3 (60 GB) | Texas Longhorns | San Antonio Spurs | Dallas Cowboys

usually when i go to hit the space bar i hit the left arrow key and places my text in stupid spots in the prev word.
    gotta love touch screen keyboards.
    Im deff tempted to start looking for an alt keyboard without those arrow keys. they ALWAYS mess me up

Coming from a Storm to Droid X, I'm a noob with this touch screen. But I too have noticed when I get rolling typing a message it has a problem with the space. If you turn to landscape mode I've noticed that there's not much of a problem. Still does it a little but not as bad as vertical.

Global Posts
    776 Global Posts

Use the DroidX keyboard which supports multi-touch.

Quote Originally Posted by pwnst_r View Post
    Use the DroidX keyboard which supports multi-touch.
    DroidX user trolling the EVO boards? EVO's keyboard is also multi-touch.

Global Posts
    776 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by roothog View Post
    DroidX user trolling the EVO boards? EVO's keyboard is also multi-touch.
    1) I have an Evo
    2) No it isn't

Quote Originally Posted by pwnst_r View Post
    1) I have an Evo
    2) No it isn't
    Dunno then, mine works like a multitouch keyboard in practice. I can touch key 1, touch key 2, release key 1, release key 2 and produce the correct output 12 every time.

Global Posts
    776 Global Posts

Ok.

It's not true multi-touch, but I find it more accurate than the any of the real multi-touch keyboards.

And I don't have the spacebar problem, and I type pretty damn fast.

I sometimes type an entire sentence and the whole thing is one looooooong word. Has to be a better way for us folks that type pretty fast. Guess i'll stick with Shapewriter for a while...

this thread made me realize I wanted to look for new keyboards. lol
    I just dl'd the Droid X keyboard to try out. I dont hit the arrows as they are not there, but still get the space thing once in a while. I just did it though. Ill give it a few days maybe to play with it before trying something else.

The original htc keyboard is not multitouch.
    Droid X keyboard is a free multitouch keyboard.

I actually make less errors on the htc keyboard. But now I mostly use Swype.

The original htc keyboard is not multitouch.
    Droid X keyboard is a free multitouch keyboard.

I actually make less errors on the htc keyboard. But now I mostly use Swype.

I don't know if the EVO is true multitouch or not but the typing experience on the EVO is really good I like it and I rarely have errors. It does take a while to get used to a virtual keyboard, but once you have gotten comfortable, it is really a pleasure to use.

Happens to me all the time. I end up with a lot of "this is the.middle of my.sentence" typos. Not to mention all the words that get subbed in by the predictive correction. I need to turn that off.

I guess I'm not the only one, happens to me too, I've been trying to press the spacebar a little bit longer but I still miss some.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverZero View Post
    Not to mention all the words that get subbed in by the predictive correction. I need to turn that off.
    I had to shut it off too. Works great if you dont type fast, but if you type fast, its a pain in the @SS
    I love the speech to text sometimes. Sometimes i will just send the random crap it comes up with to mess with people. I always get WTF? texts back. hahahahah.
    I digress though. . . . .

Global Posts
    1,188 Global Posts
    ROM
    Never Stock

I only hit the arrow keys in portrait mode, which is a little crampped for me anyways. When I type in landscape mode there is nothing below the space bar, so I don't have an issue there. Coming from a PRE, I don't miss that keyboard at all. Having used other physical landscape keyboards, I think I would prefer that to an onscreen keyboard, but I have no issue with speed at all.

EVO - 4G
    Last edited by cloak.n.dagger; 07-21-2010 at 09:40 AM.
    -Stay thirsty my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverZero View Post
    Happens to me all the time. I end up with a lot of "this is the.middle of my.sentence" typos. Not to mention all the words that get subbed in by the predictive correction. I need to turn that off.
    Yes exactly, this is my problem with the HTC keyboard. The period is in a terrible place, I always hit it instead of the space bar. It's mildly uncomfortable having to stretch my thumb across the period to reach the space bar, and I'm troubled a bit that I need to consciously think about that thumb stretch every time I want a space.