1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Smile Playstation 3 + EVO = awsome.

so im a noob. I m a webos user. Switched to android and finally unrevoked my evo. Then installed wifi tether from market. I turned my router off. Turned wifi off. Turned the application on and there it was, my ps3 found a Android phone to feed off of. After the test it goes through. To my amazement my friends list pops up and I decided to give Modern warfare2 a try. I got to play 2 games almost glitch free. It was great. The app said 4.3mbps down. I love my evo more Each day.
    Banned

Install the new cyanogen update. No need for PDANET or any other crap - its all built in. Even USB plugin is as simple as hit 1 button - no need to pay for stupid apps anymore. Have fun.

wow 4.3mbps? were you on 4g?

Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I been using it with my xbox 360 for a while now, started with the overdrive but returned it to get the evo, I plug the phone in the front usb port for power, put the hotspot on and im up and running, i have the xbox wireless adapter of course. love MW2

Yeah wow, it must be 4G. That's what I plan on doing when I get 4G.

Quote Originally Posted by kyoon19 View Post
    wow 4.3mbps? were you on 4g?
    I think he meant 4.3MB downloaded, because IIRC wifi tether does not list the current download speed.

Global Posts
    400 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/CyanogenMod7

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Law View Post
    I think he meant 4.3MB downloaded, because IIRC wifi tether does not list the current download speed.
    Sure it does. Doesnt it? Been since the OTA that I tried it out. And 4.3MB is WAY to small for data sent during a MW game I would think, unless he played for all of 30 secs.

Default Re: Playstation 3 + EVO = awsome.

Bigger question, what was latency like. Was it very laggy?

--
    Sent on my EVO 4G with Tapatalk

Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    ROM
    Team XRON; Sense or Aosp

Quote Originally Posted by modplan View Post
    Sure it does. Doesnt it? Been since the OTA that I tried it out. And 4.3MB is WAY to small for data sent during a MW game I would think, unless he played for all of 30 secs.
    Yes that is small, but really not that small. High speed games don't really require a lot of data but mainly packets being sent and received very fast.

Quote Originally Posted by modplan View Post
    actually, when you play games that are online based they really dont use as much data as you think. World of Warcraft uses about 3-7mb per hour and thats with pvp and raiding going on.

Assuming he wasnt talking the whole time through voice chat he could have easily done half an hour to an hour of gaming.

Everything is optimized to use as much of the console as possible, the only thing sent online is the "code"to tell your console how to render what the other person is doing.. think tiny lines of text or SMS messages being sent multiple times.

Think of all the ****ty 56k people out there.. believe it or not they still exist. They have to set thresholds of online games to work on that level. Or else every game would be ruined by someone running into a wall or teleporting.
    HTC Evo Cyanogen CM6

Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts

Yeah I was able to stream Netflix on PS3 via my phone, use two connected laptops AND talk on phone at the same time with BT headset! That really shows off the power of the phone.

To use the Sprint Moble hotspot it costs an additional 29.95 a month. I Guess the $10 dollars extra a month (4G service). Plus the $20 dollars for "everything data" plan does not include EVERYTHING. Silly me I thought everything meant everything....

If you are serious about online play the latency times even with fast download speeds are NOT what you're looking for.

But cool nonetheless.

Isn't there a virtual "cap" for unlimited data usage? I though I heard that Sprint will get suspicious if a phone goes over 5gb's or something like that; either way, my cousin got the shock of his life when his Sprint Bill came in for a little over $300 for using his Sprint 3g/4g Overdrive for gaming! He was told that when 4g hits our area (Miami), there won't be a "cap" for data usage. Any of you guys heard about this???
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

to answer a few questions im in louisville ky, we have good 3g and no 4g yet. I had the wifi off and the 3g on and thats it. i did take a video of it playing the other day. and today i did it again and to my amazement my wifi app said 6.3 mbps down and 1.2mbps up. so it was blazin, i played 15 mins today before it quit on me. i just loose connection with the server all together. but i do have something to say about the latency, it wasent bad. it hiccuped a few times but nothing i havent seen before on broadband when multiple devices are hooked up to my wifi. So all in all im excited about my phone indeed. and id like to post vids and pics somehow to show but i dont know any easy pictrue hosting services, so if you do know of any let me know.

Global Posts
    400 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/CyanogenMod7

Quote Originally Posted by silversentra1999 View Post
    to answer a few questions im in louisville ky, we have good 3g and no 4g yet. I had the wifi off and the 3g on and thats it. i did take a video of it playing the other day. and today i did it again and to my amazement my wifi app said 6.3 mbps down and 1.2mbps up. so it was blazin, i played 15 mins today before it quit on me. i just loose connection with the server all together. but i do have something to say about the latency, it wasent bad. it hiccuped a few times but nothing i havent seen before on broadband when multiple devices are hooked up to my wifi. So all in all im excited about my phone indeed. and id like to post vids and pics somehow to show but i dont know any easy pictrue hosting services, so if you do know of any let me know.
    ? 6.3 mbps down and 1.2mbps up is impossible on EVDO 3G???

I thought the max for 3g was 3.8mbps down
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

ok i just found my error. i thought the green and red numbers were the speed and actually the speed is below the green and red numbers. the speed is in white below. sorry for the confusion.

Still it is pretty pimpin that the evo can feed a hungry ps3 and internet connection that would sustain an online game like Cod MW2.

Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I love the way the evo works with my xbox 360, no problems at all while playing games, every once and a while a small hicup when watching Netflix during the afternoon,streaming 1080i but nothing to Make me not love the movie. 4g works great.

Using your Evo for PS3? Idc if you're getting 7mbps down with 4G (I actually get that where I live), thats just disgraceful. You should really get a dedicated internet with atleast 15mbps+
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

i have that . just wanted to see if it worked, my wifes form MI. her family lives on a dirt road. no running water just well water and no ac, id like to for once play online next time i pack my ps3 up there and play online. so now i can. and i think its pretty bad ***.

Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    ROM
    Decks GB 1.3d

Quote Originally Posted by Rudementry View Post
    Using your Evo for PS3? Idc if you're getting 7mbps down with 4G (I actually get that where I live), thats just disgraceful. You should really get a dedicated internet with atleast 15mbps+
    Latency's really what matters. Download speed upto a certain point with online gaming becomes a moot point. Plus if it's to play online in an area where they can't get cable or fios internet then why the heck not.

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rudementry View Post

I have never had an issue gaming on a 6mps tier. I have friends on 25mps speeds who drop out of games all the time. I think it has more to do with the quality of the connection that the speed. You can show really fast download speeds on a satellite connection but gaming in a FPS would be a disaster. I once tethered the Xbox to my old treo via PDANet and was able to get into games. There was lag but it was alway7s possible.,