Splicing headphone jacks

PreGk

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I noticed that the only headphones that work well with the FM radio are the type that have 3 black rings around the silver jack. Has anyone tried to splice one of these jacks to their favorite headphones (most aftermarket headphones have only 2 black rings). Just want some feedback before I ruin mine. Thanks.

chaosrecords

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
A TRS connector has 2 lines for Stereo ( single line would be a TS connector and mono)

The one with 3 lines is a TRRS connector, they really shouldnt make a difference because the third ring is used for microphone or track controlling.

FM radio is directional, so using headphones with a thicker guage wire and having them pointed in the correct direction where the signal/tower is will get you the best reception.

Dont expect miracles. the radio on this phone is gimped and is a "throw in" feature. Its not something they built the phone around so its not going to perform anywhere as good as your boombox or walkman

Lorak

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
^^
That may be true. And it might be the jack in the phone, but here is experiment I just tried sitting at my desk.

One set of old TRS headphones, A set of TRRS headphones, and I bought an adapter at radio shack (old trs headphones are more comfortable.

FM radio with TRS headset. (picked up 4 stations, 2 I could manualy tune, but had static)

FM radio with TRRS headset (picked up 9 stations, could manualy tune about 3 others, but lots of static on those)

FM radio with TRS headset and TRRS adapter. ( picked up about 8 stations and could tune about 3 or 4 more, 2 clear and 2 static.)

So in my case the type of plug going into the phone makes a big diffrence. and with a TRRS plug the EVO pickes up FM as well as any device I have ever used.

PreGk

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I just tried my headphones with a 2 ring jack, and I pulled it halfway out, reception was much improved. Maybe its the position of the rings?

error4o4

May 17, 2010
Visit site
You can buy an adapter at lots of places like radio shack for a dollar. No need to splice.

Heh...

Haven't been to Radio-shack in the last.. 15 years have ya?

Nothing is less than 6$ for audio adapters anymore at Radio-shack and to make matters worse they don't have that.

Its easily acquirable on Amazon or the like.

Lorak

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I was sure I got it at radio shack. Or maybe I think that because it was one of the stops in looking for one. But I bought mine local and it was like 1.99 or something.

Lorak

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I just tried my headphones with a 2 ring jack, and I pulled it halfway out, reception was much improved. Maybe its the position of the rings?

Thats pretty much exactly it. The TRRS jack lines up with the connections in the phone correctly.