CNN/Movies/TV Shows on the EVO

barkomatic

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
I finally went out and got an EVO to try out for 30 days after having some issues with an iPhone 4. I'm slowly learning how to fully utilize Android bit by bit after doing some research on these forums -- but I had a few specific questions I couldn't quite find a direct answer to by searching. I apologize in advance if I missed this information since I know its annoying to view the same questions over and over again.

1. I have an old macbook pro and connected the EVO using the USB cable and mounted it as a disk drive. I noticed it took a long time to copy a 1.5 GB movie file from my computer to the phone (like 10 or 15 minutes). If I got a SD card with a higher "class" would the transfer time go down signficantly? I heard the write speed is faster, but was wondering what people's real world experience was.

2. Is there a file size limit for video? I heard someone say there is a max size of 2GB and indeed it seems no mp4 over that amount will play (although it will transfer). If its true, I guess that means HD video isn't a possibilty.

3. When using the browser, I noticed that embedded videos on sites like CNN will not play (perhaps because they are HTML 5?). I know the EVO doesn't support full flash yet--but many (not all) of these will play on a flash-less iPhone or iPad. This was surprising. I guess the upcoming Froyo update which brings full flash will correct this, but is there a setting I'm missing now that will allow these videos to play in the meantime?

I guess all movies and shows purchased via iTunes is DRM protected and won't play on this phone. Therefore, is the only way to get video on this device is to rip DVD's? If not, is there a good video store somewhere that people would suggest that has a good selection?

Thanks, and I appreciate your patience. There's a lot I like about this phone over the iPhone 4 so I hope to solve some of these issues and keep it past the trial period.

werx

Banned
Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
I can answer number three. I rooted my phone and upgraded to froyo the newest android release and I have full flash. Full flash. I got onto any website and hit play ans the.embedded video plays perfectly without lag thanks to the new hit compiler. Apple dropped the ball hard on that becaus there are a plethora of websites that apple users are limited too and its not this html5 vs flash BS apple feeds its fans its just att does not want people destroying its puny network anymore. Apple rushed the release of the iPhone and it screwed them hard. Remember how long it took them to release Moms? Lol. Anyway full flash on froyo have fun.

theiphonewannabe

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
1- Yes. Class 6 will have a much faster transfer rate.

2- I have Lord of the Rings extended editon which clocks in at 2.3 gb. Works fine. (mp4)

3- Tapping and holding gives you an option to stream or use the flash player. Neither is 100 percent going to work.

barkomatic

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
Thank you very much for your replies. I'll check out the SD cards with a class 6 designation.

When I open a video on CNN a yellow triangle appears with an exclamation point where the video should be. I tap and hold and a option comes up to play it full screen with flash, but when I select that option nothing happens. I guess that's no big deal since Froyo is coming and it will play then.

Anyone suggest a place online to buy movies/TV shows that will play on the EVO? It looks like Amazon has a good selection but they can only be watched online or on a TV.

jayhawkfan18

A Dude
May 14, 2010
Visit site
Anyone suggest a place online to buy movies/TV shows that will play on the EVO? It looks like Amazon has a good selection but they can only be watched online or on a TV.

Your best bet would be to convert or rip your own DVD's and/or download movies/TV shows from the web and convert them to mp4. I use Any Video Converter but others on here have mentioned Handbrake to convert. Both are free but you would need a PC. Not sure about downloading directly to the device..

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I think that I saw something about BlockBuster and Netflix coming out with an application soon that will provide video download services. I am patiently awaiting those too. As for video conversion, use a program called free video for HTC EVO. It works well for a free application. Good luck.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke