Vignette app takes better pictures than the stock camera app

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
So after reading Argent's Vignette review (http://forum.androidcentral.com/android-applications/22227-vignette-android-review-5.html ) I went ahead and purchased it. After taking well over 100 photo's using both the stock camera as well as the Vignette I'm pretty confident in saying that the pictures taken on Vignette are definitely better. I strongly recommend this app to anyone that wants the best possible picture quality out of their Evo. The best part is of course the huge amount of editing possibilities within the app after the picture is taken. Here's a few examples of how the Vignette app is better than the stock camera app. These pics were taken at the event the race team im on were at.

All top pics will be the Vignette and the bottom will be the stock camera app.

First is a head on pic of the race car. You'll notice the Vignette is a little darker. But if you look around you'll see where the big differences are. Look at the red truck to the top left. Look how much richer the red looks and even the blue on the trailer behind the truck. Also, if you look at the extreme top left you can actually SEE the flags in the Vignette picture as opposed to the picture taken by the stock camera.
1280065313480.jpg
4.8MB
IMAG0481.jpg
1.76MB

Next are pics of the engine. Again it's more crisp and clear. The color difference isn't as much though but it's still there mainly with the reds.
1280065786905.jpg
4.58MG
IMAG0484.jpg
1.77MB

Next are pics of me inside the trailer shooting out the back. Look at the Toyota sign, the red looks better. Even the nose of the red mustang looks better and closer to how the red actually looked in person. Also look at the sky, you can barely see it in the stock camera pic whereas the Vignette actually shows the sky. Then there's the trees. The green looks way better in the Vignette app. Lastly, look at the wall on the right of the trailer, you can see the blue of the sky looks better in the Vignette pic.
1280073460856.jpg
5MB
IMAG0485.jpg

Lastly we have a set of pictures of a sweet *** Z06. Yet again it's more crisp and clear. Especially in the distance. Look to the top right at the mustard and red colored car. In the Vignette pic it looks much crisper compared to the blurry stock camera pic. Also the colors again look better.
1280074230048.jpg
5.89MB
IMAG0486.jpg
2.24MB

As I said before, if anyone is trying to take the best possible pictures and really want the best quality out of their Evo I strongly recommend purchasing the Vignette app. Here's one last picture of my crazy dog I took an edited through Vignette.

1280045509670.jpg

Last edited:

Argent

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Excellent comparisons :)

I'm pretty sure the stock camera apps (both at least on the EVO and the Incredible) use some type of compression software which results in the difference in shots. You probably also will notice the Vignette files are larger than the stock camera apps.

Also don't forget - Vignette does have brightness/contrast etc settings you can tweak so like in the first picture that 'too dark' you could tweak Vignette's settings to compensate

J_Bone

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Are the editing options that make the difference applied after the shot is taken or before? Are the comparison photos both posted without post-shot editing?

I am looking for a simple fix for taking "good" photos. I have tried all kinds of setting changes with the stock and have been very underwhelmed.

Thanks for the info.

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
All of the Vignette pictures taken as is and had no effects at all on it. That's what I like about it. Simply taking a regular picture with Vignette results in better pictures. There was literally not one effect put on any of the Vignette pictures (except the dog one of course). That's what impressed me the most.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
The Vignette is definitely superior. Would be interested in some Camera 360 shots as well (my current camera app of choice since I haven't tried Vignette).

I also particularly like that in the pics of the Z06, Vignette automatically went ahead and edited out the fat guy on the scooter (obviously saving you some Photoshop work). Awesome ;)

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I tried Camera360 and while it is a great app I think Vignette is definitely better. Not only are the pictures better but the editing options are far deeper. Haha I was glad the fat guy wasn't in the better pic. He was hualin *** with that thing man lol

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Excellent comparisons :)

I'm pretty sure the stock camera apps (both at least on the EVO and the Incredible) use some type of compression software which results in the difference in shots. You probably also will notice the Vignette files are larger than the stock camera apps.

Also don't forget - Vignette does have brightness/contrast etc settings you can tweak so like in the first picture that 'too dark' you could tweak Vignette's settings to compensate

Ya the files are much larger with the Vignette app. I put the sizes next to each picture. I didn't post it, but I took two pics when we were still in the staging lanes. The Vignette file was almost 7mbs whereas the regular file was a mere 2.5 mbs. What I really want to do is compare the same pics with an iPhone 4. When I compared them a while back I noticed the iPhone was better because the colors looked better and the Evo pics seemed too bright. Now with those both being imporved with the Vignette app I wonder if it'll even things out a bit.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
What Metering Mode did you use for the stock app photos?

To me, it doesn't look like the Vignette photos are "better," they just have a shorter exposure. Like in the first photo, you get more sky detail in the photo, but the car is under-exposed when you look at the Mustang logo, the lights, the blower, and the "Thunderstruck" label. On the stock app photo, there is a lot more detail on the car. But, if you dialed back the Exposure Compensation (for whatever reason the app calls it Brightness) on the stock app, you would have gotten identical photos between the two apps without changing the metering mode. I don't know if the two apps use different metering modes or if you tweaked any settings, but that's really the only difference between the comparison shots. I wish the apps recorded real Exif data so we can actually see what's going on.

It really comes down to personal preference when shooting under those conditions. Do you want clouds in the sky (highlights) or more detail in your subject (usually darker area)? Some like to choose to slightly under-expose and brighten up in post processing as you can lighten dark areas, but you can't recover blown out highlights. But if you generally plan on using photos as is, you might want to go with the method that properly exposes the subject at the cost of some highlight detail.

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
What are the differences between the paid version and the demo? I have the demo and it seems to do all of this......

NicksGarage

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Are the megapixel settings the same for both sets of pictures? Or is the stock camera app using a much higher jpg compression?

Lorak

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Started playing with the free version when I saw a post for it earlier. file sizes are larger, but the pictures seem more "true to life". Really liking the app thus far, and after playing with it some more I am pretty sure I will be buying the full version.

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I just used Vignette.
I'm on Vanilla Cyanogen 2.2

I think that camera app is better.
Well, I just compared one picture... I don't know for sure.

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
What Metering Mode did you use for the stock app photos?

To me, it doesn't look like the Vignette photos are "better," they just have a shorter exposure. Like in the first photo, you get more sky detail in the photo, but the car is under-exposed when you look at the Mustang logo, the lights, the blower, and the "Thunderstruck" label. On the stock app photo, there is a lot more detail on the car. But, if you dialed back the Exposure Compensation (for whatever reason the app calls it Brightness) on the stock app, you would have gotten identical photos between the two apps without changing the metering mode. I don't know if the two apps use different metering modes or if you tweaked any settings, but that's really the only difference between the comparison shots. I wish the apps recorded real Exif data so we can actually see what's going on.

It really comes down to personal preference when shooting under those conditions. Do you want clouds in the sky (highlights) or more detail in your subject (usually darker area)? Some like to choose to slightly under-expose and brighten up in post processing as you can lighten dark areas, but you can't recover blown out highlights. But if you generally plan on using photos as is, you might want to go with the method that properly exposes the subject at the cost of some highlight detail.

I'm using whatever stock setting that's set for the stock camera app except I put it in widescreen. The Vignette app was also the stock settings except also making it widescreen. Absolutely nothing else was changed. It's interesting that you brought about the exposure aka brightness. There was a photographer that's good friends with the owner hanging out with us for a little while. She saw me taking a bunch of pictures and asked if I was into photography. I explained to her what I was doing, comparing the two apps. We jumped to my laptop and uploaded the pics. She immediately saw the difference. She also mentioned what you mentioned, about the exposure/brightness. She got into big detail though about a bunch of stuff that had me scratching my head honestly. After looking through about 20 comparison pics I took she decided to grab my Evo and started messing with the settings because she was confident that adjusting the settings on the stock app would yield the same quality. After about 10 comparison pictures SHE took messing with the settings she could not get the color richness and overall quality to equal the Vignette. She did mention as you did that with some pictures certain things weren't as detailed, like the front of the Mustang in the first pic. That's when she turned the brightness up a little on the Vignette app and the pictures ended up with more detail without sacrificing the color richness, clarity and quality as the stock camera app does. She did mention that she tried turning the brightness down on the stock app and it still didn't match the Vignette pics. I wish I still had the pic but I took a second picture of the Mustang using Vignette in the first pic immediately after with the brightness up a little bit because the fact that the front wasn't as detailed and it actually did improve it and still had the color richness and clarity. I thought I saved it but unfortunately I deleted the wrong one. She ended up giving the Vignette app a huge thumbs up. She also gave the Evo a huge thumbs up after showing her some stuff and is planning on ditching her Instinct (yes she actually still had that horrid phone) for the Evo when her contract is up in September.

What are the differences between the paid version and the demo? I have the demo and it seems to do all of this......

A lot. There are tons of more settings in the paid app but more importantly the demo only allows for 0.3MP pictures whereas the paid app goes up to 8.0MP

Are the megapixel settings the same for both sets of pictures? Or is the stock camera app using a much higher jpg compression?

Yup, both at 8MP. The stock app does compress the hell out of the pics. After each pic I put the size of the picture and you'll see the Vignette pics are more than twice the size.

Nice, downloading now. Now we need something for the video camera and we are all set.

I wish!!

I use the Vignette paid version as my default camera...i love the panoramic option!

The panoramic option isn't really a panoramic option. All it does it crop the hell out of the top. Download PhotoStitch. That's a true panoramic app that will stitch up to 3 pictures in the demo, or up to 5 on the paid version. I have the paid version and I love it. Not as good as the native Droid X or Samsung panoramic options but still good.

I just used Vignette.
I'm on Vanilla Cyanogen 2.2

I think that camera app is better.
Well, I just compared one picture... I don't know for sure.

You'll notice more with outdoor pics that have a lot of color. There were plenty of comparison pics that I took where they both looked almost exactly the same. But those were mainly pics without much color or things really going on. But even in those pics you can tell there's slightly better clarity in the Vignette pic.

is that a maltese? my family has one of those. pics look great by the way. great comparison

Lol ya he's a Maltese. I love that little guy man. I LOVE Pits. I had one but I had to leave it with my parents when I moved. I moved in with my girl and of course we had to get a small dog. I gotta say man it's true what people say, you don't pick the dog, the dog picks you. I got him when he was 2 months old. He's about 9 months old now and I have SO much fun with him especially since I'm home all the time now cuz of my surgery... Btw I named him Brian after the Family Guy dog lol. And yes, I got him a red color with a gold name tag =D

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae