psx4droid lags :(

Jeff80

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Any thoughts about the emulator? I can't seem to run anything on it. I loaded up Castlevania: Symphony of Night thinking 2d game would play fine, but it's a slide show. I've seen people with CM6 report 50 fps on their emulator. Perhaps it's time to finally root? Or will the official froyo help with the fps?

Caitlyn McKenzie

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Froyo will help, but not a lot.

The emulator simply needs more optimization. It's still in the early stages.

Also keep in mind that some 2D games actually are more difficult than 3D. It's all about how the game was coded originally, not always how complex it looks. Usually the older the PS1 game is, the easier it is to emulate. Later PS1 games employed a lot more tricks and really squeezed every ounce out of the system.

storino03

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I initially bought the emulator but refunded. Takes too much work to get it working, plus I have a psp that runs all ps1 games without any issues and it has real controls.

chaosrecords

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
To be honest..Most psx emulators lag on modern desktops unless you have a solid gfx card and an assload of extra processing power.

Our evo can handle graphics ok. But when you install froyo you are freeing up alot of resources that normally took alot just to run Android and the phone in general.. Which leaves more open to performance in apps.

Thats why a rooted CM6 will more than likely run better than your 2.1 with sense and all the other sprint crap running in the background.

Dont expect miracles.. The ps1 emulator will work, but its not going to be perfect and games that are very heavily layered with 3d rendering will cause FPS issues as the phone can only keep up with so much while having everything else running. Emulation requires normally 4-10X the processing power of an original dedicated processor.

Thats why now finally SNES games are lag free on our phones, but 2 years ago they were horrid.

Its all about code optimization and processing power.

eagle63

May 7, 2010
Visit site
To be honest..Most psx emulators lag on modern desktops unless you have a solid gfx card and an assload of extra processing power.

Our evo can handle graphics ok. But when you install froyo you are freeing up alot of resources that normally took alot just to run Android and the phone in general.. Which leaves more open to performance in apps.

Thats why a rooted CM6 will more than likely run better than your 2.1 with sense and all the other sprint crap running in the background.

Dont expect miracles.. The ps1 emulator will work, but its not going to be perfect and games that are very heavily layered with 3d rendering will cause FPS issues as the phone can only keep up with so much while having everything else running. Emulation requires normally 4-10X the processing power of an original dedicated processor.

Thats why now finally SNES games are lag free on our phones, but 2 years ago they were horrid.

Its all about code optimization and processing power.

Yep exactly. Even the SNES emulator lags if you turn frame-skipping off. Also, my impression was that emulators typically do all the work in the CPU... Is having a better GPU really an advantage?

tempest111

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I've been playing final fantasy 7 on it and so far its been damn near perfect. Sound gets a little choppy at times but everything else is just fine. Im rooted with baked snack rom btw, maybe that makes a difference.

chaosrecords

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Yep exactly. Even the SNES emulator lags if you turn frame-skipping off. Also, my impression was that emulators typically do all the work in the CPU... Is having a better GPU really an advantage?

Almost always. If the code is emulated to utilize whatever specific capabilities a graphics card has then it will take away from the workload of the processor.

The less rendering of images the processor has to do, the faster it can deliver or refresh.. So think of it this way. If an emulator was coded to work specifically with a certain mobile chipset, it could tell the gpu do render all the images, render the wireframes, and do all the shading on a 3d game. and have the processor just load the files into memory.. Giving you a smooth 50-60FPS.

If the GPU sucks or isnt being optimized you have to put all those chores into the processor alone, which in turn will cause studdering, lag and not as good of a gaming experience.

THink of PC's works the same way just on a different level. Games that come out are designed for a certain GFX chipset or "works best with" Nvidia or Raedon graphics, or require a minimum to operate properly.

It all depends on how the program was written when it comes to emuation, developers have ALOT of bases to cover when writing code. They have to combine compatibility with performance and sometimes you cant have both. ( or you wait for the next generation of hardware to come out and simply "overpower it"

deaofly

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I like it. It does lag on non rooted evos, but I'm cool with it as ff7 plays great. Also did you set you fps to 30? I have found that if set to 30 instead of default it will run a lil better. It takes time to make emus to run games perfect, so this being version, its only bound to get better with updates and later Froyo. I'm happy with it running my ps1 to psp eboot formatted games. I turn off the sound and it helps.

chaosrecords

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I've been playing final fantasy 7 on it and so far its been damn near perfect. Sound gets a little choppy at times but everything else is just fine. Im rooted with baked snack rom btw, maybe that makes a difference.

Games like Final Fantasy, Suikoden, Earlier PSX titles, and most 2d games will run great. The only trouble usually is when movies load.

Games that will require higher FPS to do well are typically your shooters, and 3d platformers.

Luckily I have a thing for Castlevania and SQuare Enix RPGs so ill be just fine. They dont require as much for resources other than audio/video. Final Fantasy 7 is 4 discs because they crammed so much FMV ( full motion video) into the game. The final disc has just the ending alone on it taking up 75% of the disc.. the actual game files itself only take up 25% of each disc.

chaosrecords

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I like it. It does lag on non rooted evos, but I'm cool with it as ff7 plays great. Also did you set you fps to 30? I have found that if set to 30 instead of default it will run a lil better. It takes time to make emus to run games perfect, so this being version, its only bound to get better with updates and later Froyo. I'm happy with it running my ps1 to psp eboot formatted games. I turn off the sound and it helps.

I was big into PS1 Emulation on my PSP.. So does this emulator for Android utilize Eboot files? or is it direct ISO loading?

I havent been able to download it yet because Im waiting on my replacement evo to come in. The couch recliner monster broke it.. then I lost it the next day at a picnic.. No point of looking for it now because I wiped everything on it

deaofly

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
My psp got stolen a few years ago and I have the eboot ps1 games on my computer. Final fantasy loaded in great with no problems. Now I also have the original ISO, maybe I can do some comparisons between the 2 formats. Like if 1 looks better then the other, sound, and load times. Also my ff7 eboot is compressed and it has so far been good. I'll have to try and find some time to test both formats.

chaosrecords

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
My psp got stolen a few years ago and I have the eboot ps1 games on my computer. Final fantasy loaded in great with no problems. Now I also have the original ISO, maybe I can do some comparisons between the 2 formats. Like if 1 looks better then the other, sound, and load times. Also my ff7 eboot is compressed and it has so far been good. I'll have to try and find some time to test both formats.

Oh that will be great then, Ive got prob 20 of my favorite games already in eboot format

I havent played my PSP lately because I cannot get it to custom flash from 5.50 M33-6 to the new firmwares that are out now by newer teams like GEN. Every time i try to flash the psp shuts off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa