1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default multitask manager - anyone else using this?

almost the most perfect MT app out there. works just like os4. you long press the search button on the evo and a list of running apps comes up on the bottom. not limitted to 6.
    you can customize the whole thing.. some pretty good features.

Global Posts
    400 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/CyanogenMod7

Looked at it a while back but I prefer TaskOS, as it lets you flick running apps up to kill them. Same concept however, long press the search button to bring up a list of ones that are running.

Wow both those sound pretty awesome.

Good to know!
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

yea you can long hold the app to kill in in this one.. and it seems to be a lil more customizable.
    i wish android would do something like webos already.

I'm sure they are working on it.

So is this essentially the same thing as a task killer like Advanced Task Killer?

I do agree that Android should employ a similar feature to that of iOS4 in terms of multitasking management. But at the same time, Android is supposed to handle multitasking on its own.
    Virgin Mobile Arc -> HTC EVO 4G

And i think it does well. The biggest issue are ****ty apps.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by Richard_Danger View Post
    So is this essentially the same thing as a task killer like Advanced Task Killer?

I do agree that Android should employ a similar feature to that of iOS4 in terms of multitasking management. But at the same time, Android is supposed to handle multitasking on its own.
    no not really.. its more like iphone multitaskking.. you hold the search key long and then it pops up on the bottom you can see the list of running apps, clicking on it opens it and then long hold closes it.

and its customizable, from background color to which apps not to show all the time, etc. so if email/sms/internet are basically always open and you know that and never want to kill them you can just say "never show those apps" in the list.

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts

What's the point of this? Can you explain the benefits of managing apps this way over the way Android currently does?
    Last edited by Ezence01; 07-28-2010 at 11:27 AM.

Yes, I think multitask manager is pretty good, but after using it for a while I think it still has a few wrinkles to iron out.

@Ezence01
    For an advanced user it is nice to be able to kill poorly written apps that are memory/processor hogs. I rarely kill apps, but there are a few that I have realized that do not have a 'quit' function and if left running in the background will slow the phone down. Play a taxing 3d game like backbreaker football and will quickly realize that the game will run choppy if certain things are left running in the background.

(NEW RELEASE) Charades for your phone...

An app that's better than Catchphrase or Taboo: PhoneFraze!

Party with friends or family using these social games for 4 - 20+ people!
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by Ezence01 View Post
    What's the point of this? Can you explain the benefits of managing apps this way over the way Android currently does?
    a. you can't kill an app from there - OBVIOUS
    b. if you use an organizer to change an icon, the organzier shows up and not the app on the current android way - ANNOYING
    c. you can see ALL running apps not just the last 6 clicked.

its actually worlds better than the home long press.

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by oasis9389 View Post
    b. if you use an organizer to change an icon, the organzier shows up and not the app on the current android way - ANNOYING

So I'm a bit confused about this, so please bear with me. Doesn't the running services option in settings let you kill apps that are running? OR this this just for apps that are syncing information?

Global Posts
    714 Global Posts

Believe it or not there are some apps that does not have an EXIT or CLOSE option so you end up using the "back" arrow to exit the app ... At this point your unsure whether you actually exited the app or just left it running ... This particular app will show you if the app you were in is still active or not ... Coming from WEBos it was EXTREMELY easy to know what was running and what was closed ... If I swipe the card away I never have to worry about that app again until I want it open .. Just the opposite with android ... You have no idea so thats why there is this planetary debate on task killers.
    Hit the THANKS in appreciation if I or anyone else has helped you in any way .. A Strong Android Community

http://mydamnbrainhurts.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/mydamnbrainhurt

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by solo1 View Post
    Believe it or not there are some apps that does not have an EXIT or CLOSE option so you end up using the "back" arrow to exit the app ... At this point your unsure whether you actually exited the app or just left it running ... This particular app will show you if the app you were in is still active or not ... Coming from WEBos it was EXTREMELY easy to know what was running and what was closed ... If I swipe the card away I never have to worry about that app again until I want it open .. Just the opposite with android ... You have no idea so thats why there is this planetary debate on task killers.
    I can see that being annoying. I never thought about it before, I just assumed Android would just close it after a certain period of it being idle. What about the running services menu?
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

I can see that being annoying. I never thought about it before, I just assumed Android would just close it after a certain period of it being idle. What about the running services menu?
    which is why almost everyone complains about battery. b/c it doesn't.

you can kill an app via settings->applications->choose app->force stop.

but this is a UI to do that. you hold down a key you get a scrollable list of whats running you can close or access the apps from here.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

IMHO advance task killer is good when you boot up.. its good to kill the services you never want running.

but ADT is not pratical to use over and over.. its actually super annoying to use any other time than start up.

I think the home long press was designed simply to give you access to the last 6 apps you have selected so that you can jump between them.

So what I am getting from this is that this app is another task killer, but with a way better interface.

I do agree that something needs to be done about these run-a-way crApps, but I do not like task killers.
    Virgin Mobile Arc -> HTC EVO 4G
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

I think the home long press was designed simply to give you access to the last 6 apps you have selected so that you can jump between them.

So what I am getting from this is that this app is another task killer, but with a way better interface.

I do agree that something needs to be done about these run-a-way crApps, but I do not like task killers.
    even if you only use it for switching b/t apps and never to kill an app its better than the stock option. it will sow you unlimitted apps, not just 6, so many times the app i want is not in the long home menu.

and i have already mentioned what happens when you change the icon on something. the app you used to change the icon comes up on the stock version, on this one, the actual app is shown to you.

but does this app show the way system panel shows apps, meaning does it differentiate between running apps vs apps that are just inactive cached?
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

i believe that is a setting yes

Global Posts
    714 Global Posts

I would look at this app more of a MULTI Task Killer ... I dont use it to kill what is supposed to be running in the back ground ... weather , stock , social networks or anything that is pulling down info ... I use it for the apps that I exit and not sure if they are still running ... For example I use my camera .. then play a game .. then use my app organizer ... then Cardio trainer ... then Media app ... When i back out I may be done with some and not with others ( muliti tasking ) ... so I use this app to make sure the ones I am done with are shut down if not then I closed them out ... Then i use the app to toggle between the apps I am using at the same time.
    Hit the THANKS in appreciation if I or anyone else has helped you in any way .. A Strong Android Community

http://mydamnbrainhurts.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/mydamnbrainhurt

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts

which is why almost everyone complains about battery. b/c it doesn't.

you can kill an app via settings->applications->choose app->force stop.

but this is a UI to do that. you hold down a key you get a scrollable list of whats running you can close or access the apps from here.

I see, thanks for the info. I'll give this app a try.

TaskOS doesn't really show enough to be useful as a task killer. All the crapware that everyone complains about only shows up if you tell it to display services, and then it takes so long to load it's near useless.

As a way to toggle to open apps, and perhaps kill a badly behaved one that doesn't close on exit, TaskOS looks good. As a task killer, not so much. But that's OK, I don't believe in task killers anyway.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Quote Originally Posted by solo1 View Post
    I would look at this app more of a MULTI Task Killer ... I dont use it to kill what is supposed to be running in the back ground ... weather , stock , social networks or anything that is pulling down info ... I use it for the apps that I exit and not sure if they are still running ... For example I use my camera .. then play a game .. then use my app organizer ... then Cardio trainer ... then Media app ... When i back out I may be done with some and not with others ( muliti tasking ) ... so I use this app to make sure the ones I am done with are shut down if not then I closed them out ... Then i use the app to toggle between the apps I am using at the same time.
    exactly how i use..

Global Posts
    1,188 Global Posts
    ROM
    Never Stock

Interesting thread. This got me to look closer at Advanced Task Killer, which I always used just to kill apps. I found that a long press on any of the apps listed gives me an option to "switch to" which provides the same functionality that this app does. Without having to install anything new, I can now kill apps and switch to any app that is running. Sweet!
    -Stay thirsty my friends.